G-Data Newest Product Version

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Securon, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Just as a follow up regarding uninstalling G-Data...I've found that CCleaner for me works like a charm in removing Registry Entries. But as mentioned G-Data also provides a registry cleaner tool. Sincerely...Securon

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow, i love when some sort of representatives join the forums, they tend to get things going a lot faster :D

Welcome Ed Johnson :thumb: *Hugz*

3. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Registered Member

Generation 2011 offers cloud based features regarding url checking (phishing, malware,...) and mail protection (malware, phishing, spam...).

Regards,
    Ford

4. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Installed G-Data InternetSecurity 2011 last night...and like it a lot. Slowed start up after the first restart, then not much of a lag thereafter. Took the firewall out of automatic mode to have some interaction, and the permission popups are very clear and concise. The initial full scan I ran took 23 minutes, which isn't bad at all, IMO. If any of you are into suites, you might be pleasantly surprised.
    Does anyone know if there is a Suite specific removal tool, or if the AV version covers the suite also? I looked, but couldn't find one. Thanks..

5. G Data Ed

G Data Ed Registered Member

Hi trjam...Can you be more specific for me? Are you saying that you want the application to notify you via email when malware is found on your system? This functionality is part of our commercial products, in that it notifies system administrators when malware is detected on any client within the network. However, it is not part of our home user products. I can certainly present this to our product teams to determine feasibility and report back to the forum. I do not beleive that this has ever been requested by a private user, though. Good question!

Unfortunately, you cannot override the status icon to show that your system is safe if the application has not determined it to be safe. Think of it like a "Dummy Light" on your car's dashboard. With all due respect to our entire user base around the world (most of us are not as technically-minded as those of you that frequent this forum!), the icon is meant to alert you, at first glance, that something may be awry with your protection . It looks at several parameters to make this determination, including when the last time was that you ran a scan.

I hope this helps.

6. G Data Ed

7. G Data Ed

You may need to run AVCleaner2011 a couple of times to get all references to G Data out of the registry, so I recommend that, when downloading the tool, you save it to your Desktop or Downloads folder so taht you will have it on demand.

8. Cimmerian

Thanks Ed, much appreciated. I'll also take that as a yes, the AV cleaner will also remove the Suite.:thumb:
    One thing I'd like to see in G-Data is a popup showing that a database update has taken place. My eyes aren't what they used to be, and I almost missed the little arrow on the tray icon.

9. G Data Ed

You may get tired of seeing that pop-up after a while. We send updates every HOUR!:)

10. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

G-Data is running real well with Private Firewall, SOL, Returnil Paid version.

I definitely plan on buying this.

11. Cimmerian

Ed,
    Will the user name and password provided when I registered the trial version of InternetSecurity work on the trial AV version as well?

12. bigwrench9

bigwrench9 Registered Member

Hmmmmm....... I'm really enjoying Vipre,but I might have to give it a spin.Sorry Nick. :doubt:

13. G Data Ed

No. Currently, a unique user ID and password are issued for each license code registered. A change is in the pipeline for this, so that you can manage all of your licenses with one single user ID. But for now, they are unique. Sorry.

14. G Data Ed

By the way, everyone...We are looking for Security Partners to market our retail and commercial products. If you are a VAR, or know a VAR that you consider a "trusted IT advisor," I would really appreciate an introduction. We believe we have a fantastic story to tell (did you know that G Data actually developed the very first commercially-marketed anti-virus software application back in 1987...before most of us were doing business on the internet? Probably not...) and we know that orgs like VB, AV-Test, and AV Comparatives have consistently ranked us at the top or among the very best AVs in the world over the last several years...

I know...this is a marketing note and these are probably taboo in this forum, so you won't hear anymore from me on this...I just wanted to throw it out there...

And you'll never see a post from me sharing negative thoughts about our competition. If you've ever been to a VB or RSA conference, you'll know that we are a small, very tight-knit group and we respect each other tremendously.

But we ARE THE BEST!!! :argh: :argh: :argh:

Okay...sorry, Eugene...you know we love you...

15. dan323

dan323 Registered Member

Yeah I'll have to look into it also. I trailed it last year and went with NIS 2010.Now 2011. But NIS is a bit pricey. G-Data is more reasonable with pricing so when my subscription ends I may give it a whirl.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Yes, on the first part and I understand the second but some of us really never do a full scan because we feel any malware that does go active would be caught in real time. Just a method to reset it but I understand.

I hadnt tried the new version and I must say I am impressed with how light it is. About 5 processes running but very light.:thumb:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ed, the reason on email notification on malware detection is, with me, if one of my teens gets infected, I want to know it to ensure it was cleaned correctly. Not be harsh here but this is a option that just about all AV products have and yours should have already incorporated it. But, there is hope.

G Data on the flip side is running outstanding. 2 AV engines are actually showing less impact then some with one. How?

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Caching/Fingerprinting for one; for example TrustPort also has 2 engines and this is the Lightest AV I have ever used, in terms of performance/feel.

Also depends on what settings you have for the Guard; scanning ALL files for example will lead to some slowdowns.

I tried the GData AV about 6 months ago but found that when the two engines were selected there was a noticeable lag in performance.

So I may give this new version or the beta 2012 a go.

19. Rilla927

I'm wondering if G-Data uses a local host for proxy service.

@Trjam

I have six process running and it is as lite as one. I agree... how?

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Got me, it wasnt like that in last version. Guess Ed will have to answer it. Pretty cool though.

21. nessy90

nessy90 Registered Member

Well although I had a problem with the registration when I bought G-Data AV 2011 I have to say Ive been running it for a couple of days now with OA Premium, SAS, and Prevex SOL and it is brilliant everything is playing well together and havent noticed any real slow down.
    Well done ED and Team at G-Data

Nesst:thumb: :thumb:

22. Rilla927

I'm sure Ed will chime in soon.

23. Cimmerian

Out of curiosity, is anyone else running the Suite? I liked the standalone AV very much, but I'm liking the suite a whole lot too. Having a hard time deciding which way to go, and just looking for another impression if possible.

24. G Data Ed

I'm assuming you mean for web filtering, correct? If so, then the answer is "yes." The G Data software uses a proxy service to filter websites before they reach your browser. There is a blacklist of known malicious sites that we update all the time. In addition, you can also manage a whitelist. For web filtering, we default to port 80. For IM filtering, we default to port 5190. I believe that you can change these settings in SecurityCenter/Internet/Options...

I will do some more research on this and report back.

25. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

+1. Once again Securon is a voice of reason. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.