G Data Firewall 2013-How good is it ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SuperHax, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperHax

SuperHax Registered Member

Hello !

Ive got my eyes on G-data for sometime(a few years) and about a week ago i decided to purchase a 2 year license of G data Internet Security 2013, ive tried to do some research on G-data's firewall, how well it performs but i found close to no info so i decided to make a account here and ask you guys what you think about it.

My concern is not really how well it regulates the applications on my PC, but how well it can protect from outside access, i connect to the internet thru a lan that has hundreds if not thousands of PC's on it so i am a bit paranoid.

I have tweaked its settings to the best of my knowledge to make it as secure as possible.

I have selected "Maximum security" in the firewall config area and marked my network as "untrusted network", i have also disabled file and printer sharing.

In windows i have disabled remote assistance and set my network connection as Public.

So the question is, do you guys know how good G data's firewall is ?

Any reply is greatly appreciated and I thank you for it.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

have you already paid for it?

3. SuperHax

I did yes, and i am happy with it so far, i mean from my point of view this is a good security suite, ive always seen its detection rates very high over the years, however i am not sure how strong its firewall is.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

so why do you ask about our thoughts if you have made your decision without it? (spilled milk?)

i can not help you with your other question(s) but the help file should answer your basic questions. You can also use the already PAID service from GData to gain more help.

the combination of you startup posting let me think that you are not really sure if you can feel secure with standard settings.

From my point there is no need to waste money on a more complicated firewall than windows except easier settings. you should be aware of the extended options.

HTH

BTW i dont think that v2013 and previous versions differs that much.

5. SuperHax

Because i want opinions from more experienced users that have tested Gdata's firewall or have knowledge about it, like i said i am happy with the product, if i wasnt i would not have bought it, i just want more info on how good its firewall is and since i am not able to find any info on the net about it i decided to start my own topic and ask.

I don't need any help setting it up, i need help knowing how good it is from people that tested it or have knowledge about it.
    I cant email Gdata and ask them ,hey guys, how good is your firewall ? ....

If you would have bothered to read my entire post you would have seen that I am not using standard settings, i have mentioned in my first post that i have tweaked its settings.
    I have set the firewall to "Maximum security", marked the network as "untrusted" and disabled the firewall's autopilot.

6. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

side note, does the G Data Firewall slow your internet browsing experience and/or downloads?

I had Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 a few days ago installed and it made my internet crawl so I uninstalled it even though I have a 2 year license

7. Rules

Rules Registered Member

I've been testing it during about 3 months, no doubt about high rate detection, but this suite is to huge on ressource (surfing the web, extract files, copy big files), even if i use default settings or maximum security settings.

rules.

8. SuperHax

To be honest i don't notice any internet or download slow down at all.

Gdata however slows down opening applications sometimes and copying files but for me at least this is a very tiny inconvenience and nothing that bothers, i mean the difference is almost non existant.

As a side note to this, its impact on the system can be tweaked, you can make it use only one of its 2 engines, decided when it scans files (on read and write, on read, on execution).

As for Bitdefender, i have used the 2012 version about 2-3 months ago and that did impact PC performance a lot no doubt about it, i ended up removing it after 2 days for that reason.

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I do that from time to time with all my apps. :argh: And the Support Teams don't get annoyed a bit. :D

10. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I don't think it is a question of them being annoyed by it or not, but rather how biased a reply from the company that makes the product in question would be. They aren't going to reply, "well, our product is okay, but you could easily get a better one, and probably cheaper, too" even if that would be the truth.

11. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

I wonder why GData has no official forums.

12. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! Super Hax...I've used G-Data on and off for the last couple of years now. I've always been impressed with it's detection and cleanup effectiveness...and it's firewall hasn't given me any problems whatsoever...the problem is with G-Data itself...atrocious customer support...and not encouraging it's new American Office...in setting up a Customer Focused Support Forum. As Wilders members know we had contacted Ed Johnson who I believe is their V.P. of Sales...and it seemed for a while that they might actually encourage the set-up of an actual Forum for N.American users. Well unfortunately that idea was quickly shot down...and Head Office in Germany made it known that having a Customer Forum wasn't in their plans and Ed Johnson at the same time ironically hasn't been heard from since. Politics aside G-Data from a users perspective needs at least 4gigs of Ram to accomodate the two scanning engines Bitdefender and Avast...I've used it with 2 gigs and it simply isn't enough. G-Data is perplexing...a Superb Product...but the people and management running the show...need to take some People Relationship Skills Training. Sincerely...Securon

13. SuperHax

It really makes no sense why they don't have their own forums like almost every other av out there.

I also agree their support is mediocre at its best, you would think that since they lack forums they will compensate that with good customer support, well that's not the case.

They have a very good product tho judging by user reviews/testimonials ,results in tests,personal experience.

14. SuperHax

No more opinions ?

15. Spiedbot

Spiedbot Guest

16. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

Like Securon, I have used GData on and off for years. I really like it. I never had slowdowns while using the internet. Detection was good. Computer was a bit slower upon start up but not much. The firewall seemed fine. To me, it could be a bit hard to configure in previous versions. There are forums for GData but they are set up, generally, in European countries. There was an North American forum for a while but was only used by a handful of people. Rokop Security is the German security forum that has a lot of good information but needs to be translated. FordPerfect comes around here and has a wealth of knowledge and is very helpful with questions. Customer service outside of Europe is a challenge and generally disappointing. GData is a good strong program that gets better and better with each new version but if you can't get help when you need it, what good is it. If you like it, use it but pray you don't have any issues you need help with.

17. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Interesting concept for a program,having two engines rolled into one product.
    Im kind of surprised that other software companies have not chosen to go down this path.Can you imagine the potential here.say (avast-mse)or (kaspersky,bitdefender).The list could go on..as i say a very interesting idea.
    It may even solve a lot of compatibility problems too.:thumb:

18. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

There are many AVs that use two (or more) engines. Coranti uses four I believe.

19. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Many companies have someone else's anti-virus engine licensed to them, even if they use their own cloud. Emsisoft has BD, Zone Alarm has Kaspersky and GData has Avast.

So its just cheaper for foreign companies to go with what they know has already worked well rather than develop their own proprietary solutions. American companies like Microsoft, Norton and McAffee have their own in house virus engines.

20. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

G-Data is heavy stuff.
    Are they selling the firewall separately ?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.