G Data AntiVirus 2011??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MarcGabi, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcGabi

MarcGabi Registered Member

I'm currently using Version 4 of NOD32 Anti Virus. But G Data Anti-Virus 2011 seems interesting to me. According to AV comparatives the test results are similar to NOD32's.

I used G Data Anti-Virus about 3 years ago and it did an excellent job but it was too slow.

Can anyone comment on the 2011 Version?

Thank you again.

2. xandros

xandros Registered Member

if you looking for fast antivirus or fast internet security you can keep ur nod32 on ur computer , coz g data make the computer slow.

and if you need free internet security and light on ur computer u can use comodo internet security RC , its very light on pc and number 1 firewall.

and many people say norton internet security 2011 light now on the computer , i dont know coz i dont try it.

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon ! I just finished auditioning G-Data Anti-Virus 2011...and while impressed with it's detection rate...and digital fingerprinting...it is a tad on the slow side...but admittedly an improvement over 2010 version. I personally went back to using Vipre Premium...which is much more responsive and nimble. And Vipre's detection rates have markedly improved as of late...see VB100 testing.Anyhow take Vipre Premium or Vipre Anti-Virus for a 30 Test-Trial...and come too your own conclusions. Sincerely...Securon

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Found it heavy in real-time when BOTH engines were enabled and this was with a i7 machine.

5. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Again I'll have to point out one thing. If you use SSD HDD(s), then GData is the way to go as it's slow because of the disk I/O. However, if you're a normal home user with a normal HDD, you'll find it slow due to the massive disk reads on file execution. Having two engines has its price. But once again, if you're on an SSD based system, you'll have no problems with any AV at all, performance-wise. :)

6. gery

gery Registered Member

i would suggest not running gdata as it is slow and heavy for a normal home user. Unless you have a quad core with high performance specs etc.
    As for the suggestion i would say anything that is a single engine solution and not a whole train of heavy wagons and trailers. Anyway right now i am using Viper premium which i find really nice fast and protecting
    good luck and may you choose the best

PS; just take a few av-s or Suites and trial them for a while than decide what fits you best
    Gery

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

In contrast I have found TrustPort very light in real-time with BOTH engines enabled ;)

2 of the main processes shown.

Attached Files:

8. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

The first Gdata scan can be extremely slow but they increase in speed exponentially. You gotta try it to see if you like it. I used GData products for years and have been very happy with them (the products not the customer service) until recently. Needless to say I have uninstalled GData for something else, for now.

9. Securon

Good Evening! Hello FastTeddy2020 ...remember myself...yourself...and Dallas always pointing out to the G-Data personnel in Bochum,Germany...how they had to improve their Customer Service...if they were to grow in North America...seems they simply don't care...and remember the ill-fated forum at Ultimate Security Forum...in the U.K...G-Data...to quote the old Star Trek saying...To boldly go where no man's ever gone...and do they want to go. Strange company. Sincerely...Securon

10. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

GData the company with unlimited potential but limited desire. I still really like their products and they do improve yearly but they began to act strange and wasn't worth it to me to mess around after about a month. I will someday go back because I got the 25 months for 12 month deal but too many strange things going on and no program updates since April when it was released. The German edition has probably had 10 but that is purely speculation on my part. I honestly have not tried to use GData customer service about the quirks so I can't say if they are better, the same or worse, I just switched to save myself more headaches. Always good to hear from you Securon.

11. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Registered Member

Software update for English versions has been released today (21.1.0.5):
    New features:
    - G Data WLAN Security Check: alerts when connected to unprotected or weak protected wireless networks

Improvements:
    - Behavior Blocker (cleaning of registry and hosts file)
    - firewall improvement (performance)
    - vpn assistent in firewall gui

several bug fixes

cheers,
    Ford

12. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

well i have quad core yet i wont install gdata as i have not paid so much to satisfy an av needs :D

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks Ford, always on time with the latest news on GData :thumb:

14. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I tried the latest G Data Antivirus (before this engine update) and liked it in general (I didn't notice any particular slow-downs, for example), but there were some annoying bugs.

Like being able to download a virus (say the Eicar test file) and then move it around, from folder to folder, without any detection. Only when double-click would it alert. And this didn't happen from the start, but after a few downloads, the first few of which would work properly. I have seen others reporting this as well.

Also, even though the program was set to interactive alerts when malware was found, that too only worked for a limited amount of time. Execute a number of malware samples, and the interactive part stopped working. It kept blocking the malware, but no alerts of any kind.

And I reproduced both these things on several system, one with XP and two with W7.

Reported the issues, but never heard back from G Data.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What engines are currently in use?

16. Securon

Good Evening ! G-Data still utilizing Bit Defender and Avast Engines. Sincerely...Securon

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Used 2010 IS for quite some time and never noticed any slowdown.
    The 2011 was kinda faster and has BB module but i already had a license of EAM :rolleyes: So i uninstalled it.

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So start up, browser loading, downloads etc were fine?

19. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I believe that the detection rate it is very high, however when I tested it (1.5 years ago) he was still somewhat slow in the system, hopefully in version 2011 this has improved. Since it uses two engines it ends leaving the slower than other AVs.

Another suite that is very light is Norton Internet Security 2011 is just perfect running on my system. :thumb:

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

WAIT!!!
    Start Up WAS a bit slower but nothing like OMGGG to be paranoid about, surfing i didn't notice anything and everyday usage maybe it slowed it down a bit but I could care less. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.