G-Data Antivirenkit 2006 with OutbreakShield

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Smokey, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Is there any review available about G-Data's "OutbreakShield" in Antivirenkit 2006?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Kein problem. ;)

It seems to me that the Outbreakshield is the BitDefender heuristics/sandbox, but maybe i wrong. :)

4. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

5. ErikAlbert

Ausgezeichnet Herr Smokey. Du bist ein Meister. :D

6. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Reading the articles provided by Herr ErikAlbert, it must be something else...:doubt:

7. SimonCC

SimonCC Registered Member

I bet its a resource mega super stupendous hog!

8. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I trialed it for an hour or so to see if it was worth renewing my license and sadly no it wasn't. The Proxy part of the program crashed my pc twice in one hour.
    Add that to the non-existent english based tech support, I am sorry to say I will not be renewing my license.

They did make some good iprovements on the tray icon usage though.

9. ErikAlbert

There is period between discovering a virus and updating the virus signature on your computer.
    That period is at least 10 hours according the german article and during that time your computer is unprotected.
    During that time the virus will be able to spread itself very fast on computers and networks.

OutbreakShield claims to protect you during that period against the new virus by using a new technology, called "Recurrent Pattern Detection" (RPD) created by Commtouch.

This pdf-file explains this new technology :
    http://www.commtouch.com/downloads/RPD Technology - White Paper.pdf
    I hope this helps.

10. Don Pelotas

You're right, Smokey. I didn't read the whole article the first time, interesting to see what it is. :)

11. chia

chia Registered Member

I noticed earlier this week that it had been released already (German version only) and got excited to try it when it's available in English, although lk's post has dampened that somewhat :(. Will still give it a go and see if it's worth it.

Main new features it seems are the OutbreakShield, HTTP scanning and x64bit compatability. Looks like they are going with this technology from Commtouch rather than using the Bitdefender's HIVE. Not much reading out there in english other than Commtouch's site but it looks rather interesting.

http://www.commtouch.com//Site/OEM/o_technology.asp
    http://www.commtouch.com//Site/OEM/zero_hour.asp

Curious to see how it will affect system performance. AVK already offered pretty robust protection, now it seems they are taking it a step further. GDATA at least seems to be proactive about developing their product, but we'll see how this one plays out. Hopefully an English verion will be out soon.

12. ErikAlbert

I'm quite sure they will develop an English version otherwise they won't sell it world-wide, that's for sure.
    I would have developed the English version first and then the German version.
    I speak Dutch, I never use the Dutch version of any software, because I'm so familiar with the English computer vocabulary.
    Each time I see a Dutch version, I'm lost and these Dutch translations make me often laugh.
    Besides that, non-English versions create other problems : you have to wait for the translation, sometimes I read "for English versions only" and not every software has a non-English version.
    In that case you have a mixture of English and non-English softwares on your computer.
    Some English expressions can't be translated, simply because English is THE computer language.
    Some countries try to translate each English computer word/expression, even when they have to create a new word in their own language, but that is a matter of chauvinism with a political background and has nothing to do with computer.

Just make English mandatory in every school of each non-English country and everybody on earth will be able to communicate with eachother, even Arabian and Chinese people.
    Each country can keep their own language and culture and their second language is English. Everybody happy. Case closed.
    I hate troubles when their is a simple solution.

13. Don Pelotas

The reason the german version comes first, is because this is their big market. The english version usually follows within a month.

14. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

english i found on net? o_O

btw is it bulky?? i heard it took 2hrs to scan and is it really kaspersky bitdefender together?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  15. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yes it has two engines, one from Kaspersky and one from Bitdefender. Don't know if it is bulky, but I did read that the 2006 version is more buggy than the 2005. So up to now, I haven't read anything good for the 2006 version although there were some reports on the 2005 version stating it was good.

dja2k

16. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

sound's promising!! mite try it out see if its heavy? :D

17. echtp

echtp Registered Member

Well, I tried it out (the outbreak shield looks very good). It is, by far, the heaviest on system I ever tried. (I tried allmost every antivirus around) It took 70MB memory and on heavy workload my system freezed for 10(!) minutes. Makes F-secure feel light ;)

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well then you haven't tried Panda with TruPrevent. It also eats up around 70MB of memory, but it doesn't slow down the system at all.

19. waters

waters Registered Member

I am now useing 2005 version,so i think i will stick with this.2005 version is not noticeable on my system.

20. echtp

echtp Registered Member

Yes i did try Panda and, yes,it is very heavy on my old system It took 60Mb and realy slowed down my machine. But nothi9ng compared with Antivirenkit 2006

21. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Now you know why most of the people around this forum recommend KAV or NOD32. :p

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.