Future of computing and smartphones

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

http://www.phonearena.com/news/I-ma...8-on-a-4.7-screen-for-750-dock-in-tow_id42854

I guess this may the future of smart phone computing. Ubuntu is already onto it and now i-mate is doing same with Windows 8. Android gadget manufacturers can jump into this wagon any time esp that android laptops are coming soon and Android might bring multi-window support in one of next versions.

What do you guys think.

~ Removed Copyrighted Image ~

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
  2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

That should be taken with a huge grain of salt. So should the "future of computing" really. 89% of browsing is still done on PCs, and tablets aren't great for much more than that (emails and very small file transfers as well). So tablet as future computing is still very much up in the air, and smartphones are becoming less and less "phone". The problem with that is that the more stuff you start asking them to do, the more power they're going to need. Right at the moment that usually means more bulk, which is something you don't particularly want when holding up to your ear. I'm afraid that the "future of computing" as it stands for the next 10 years is going to be rather bland. We won't be getting any "Dick Tracy" watches (hardware is the specific reason for that one), no "Minority Report"-type tech. Touch is probably about as "wild" as we're going to get for some time to come.

3. guest

guest Guest

Tablets could kill you. :argh:

I don't know what am I supposed to do in the future computing and mobile phones era. I hate touchscreens, so if my C5 5MP is dead, I probably will stop using mobile phones. Now with Windows 8 is here, I'm starting to worried about my future computing too. :(

Tablets won't be successful, at least that's what I assume. No matter how advanced the technology is, you can't make those oversized plates to fit in your jeans pocket. Portability is still favored it seems.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Posts with Images from Unknown Sources. As per our TOS:

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Each gadget has it's use, depending on place, time and purpose. There might be some overlap but one can't replace the other in it's entirety. The industry knows this.

Seeing the expansion of the tablets and smartphones market, it comes as no surprise that the manufacturers and OS makers are trying to "unify" the tools and the environment/experience.

As far as future goes, one can never really know for sure.

6. guest

guest Guest

Agreed, and as you said, manufacturers keep trying to unify these into the same... thing. :doubt: Okay, they're making profits. I can understand that. But is it really necessary to completely ignoring the minorities? I've lost my hopes if I'll ever get my ol' numpads again. And people keep saying that we're hard-headed and won't accept changes. Ever heard about personal preference? Just getting tired of seeing all smartphones look just the flatty same. :cautious:

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

The problem with "change" is that consumers don't drive it so much as the tech companies do who decide they know what is "best" and pushing the changes that cost them millions in R&D onto the public. Now, you might say "Well, why is the public obsessed with these changes if they aren't the "best"? Quite simple, consumers are people, people enjoy popularity, the young public especially (Most all of us went through high school and tried to be with the "in crowd"). So, pay a celeb a few million to endorse a product or spend millions on CGI or completely unrealistic, but good looking scenarios (I'm looking at you, Sprint) and boom, just like that consumers are eating it up. Adults are just as gullible as teenagers are, and in the case of teenagers, it's a simple matter of "Mom, I need this or else my life will fall apart and everybody at school will hate me!". That alone has put millions of smartphones in the hands of youth.

8. guest

guest Guest

I wasn't one. ;)

And as a side effect, social engineering just had a bright future. Is this one kind of future that we want? :doubt:

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Dork :D :p Just kidding, lol. Actually the vast majority of the popular high school people got one ugly reality check when they stepped out of those doors for the last time. The real world gives not a single turd how cool you were.

Social engineering will be around so long as it's an exceptional way for malware authors to get inside systems. At first I thought I had read you asking about the future of social, as in media. I see it doing nothing but slowing down soon. I honestly think people are growing bored with it and are getting an understanding of why it may not always be the best idea to share too much (ask innocent people who have gotten fired for posting pretty tame pictures of them at a bar with friends, beliefs on religion, a moment of venting after a rough day at work, or not getting hired to begin with because of all of the above).

Social is getting over-saturated, and, really, if you study enough of the data in regards to fake accounts (Twitter has an extremely serious problem with this) vs real accounts, the overall success of social isn't so easy to call.

10. safeguy

We're talking gadgets here...it's constantly evolving. Hand-phones were initially large and then they downsize. There's a period of time whereby "slim", "small" and "light" was the buzz/trend. There's also "flip" phones back then.

Apple came into the picture with iPhone. "Large-screen" is now one of the selling point for Samsung with it's Note series. Remember how Nokia used to be among the "top"?

Basically, something "new" pops up and it sells like hotcakes. Not to mention, new competitors/start-ups may come into the picture with a new product/design. This sometimes shakes the industry and brings about increased competition.

Seriously though, don't worry too much. Just go with the flow. It's all a matter of time. Consumers are like kids. They will get bored and seek for a new toy. Sometimes designers/product makers go look at the old and make it the new new (albeit with a different look). Just take a look at the fashion industry where people go retro or the movie makers doing remakes of old movies. Where there's demand, there will be supply.

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Quite honestly, I don't think any of this would have come about if Apple had not hit a home run with the iPhone and iPad. You're spot on with consumers though. They're fickle and have short attention spans. If it's new and cool to other people, they want it. When everyone has one, the industry scrambles to keep the money flowing. Even if it's just basically a new label on the device (iPhone 4 vs 5).

12. guest

guest Guest

That's just like what my sociology teacher said. :D

Yeah, maybe I'm worrying too much. Just checking GSMArena every month just to see yet another Android smartphone/tablet simply gets boring. RIP Symbian, I hope it'll be resurrected someday. :D

13. safeguy

LOL. Talk about Symbian and I'm reminded of my Sony Ericsson Walkman phones. The audio was awesome and the phone could run for days without charging. The beauty of simplicity...just use the phone for what it's original purpose - call and text.

14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Lol, I think texting falls in with the whole "Ten Plagues of Egypt" thing. I just want to backhand the teeth out of everyone I see doing that bs in movie theatres (God, both Chrome and Firefox must hate non-American English), at stoplights and everywhere else totally inappropriate. I've had meetings with clients where they'll just nod their head and "uh-huh" me with their faces looking down at their phones.

15. safeguy

Not meetings but I've been guilty of looking down at my phone while someone is talking to me. I usually try my best to respond or at least bring up my head and maintain eye contact for a few seconds as I know it's basic courtesy. However, there are times when the text seems to have priority. That's why I don't really mind if someone else does the same when I'm talking to him/her. After all, it usually doesn't last long...just give the person some time and he or she will finish the text and get back to you. You then can carry on a conversation without that person getting distracted (thinking about the not-yet-complete text).

Don't tell me you've never done that before. You can't possibly be an angel.

16. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I've never sat and texted while someone was talking to me, yet I'm still far from an angel, lol.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

LOL, imagine if this is the most popular Windows 8 device.

18. Electro Gypsy

Electro Gypsy Registered Member

Some variation on 'Glass'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.