Future of AV's

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tobacco, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

If you sit back and think about it, it's amazing how far the whole computer tech. has come in the past 10 years.Now, along with the AV's and security suites, we have HIPS and now the virtual software like shadowuser.The way things are progressing, do you think AV's will still be used, needed say 10 years from now?.Or do you feel we are beginning to move in a different direction.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

In ten years I don't believe that the computer as we know it will still exist. With the speed that electronics is progressing ten years is an eternity. It is hard to imagine what the technology of home computing might be like. Maybe even implanted chips controled by the brain's impulses. it is going to be quite a change regardless.

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Yeh.Its an exciting time right now how fast things are changing.A guy here in B.C. just got an implant under the skin of his hand that locks and unlocks his car and house.He said he was tired of loosing his keys.So 10 years from now, i really could see no more av's.We will be using some other method for security.

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Uummmm.......care to clarify this, bigc? :eek:

If I'm interpreting what I think you mean correctly.....the day that this becomes a reality, is the day I cease to own a computer any longer.....

5. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

One would hope that sometime in the next ten years MS could manage to write an OS that isn't so full of [security] holes, that viruses will largely become a thing of the past. Can't realistically see it happening though :rolleyes:

Personally, I think computers will very much still exist. Granted, certain aspects such as combining media and communications are moving at an astounding pace with things like mobile phones doing far more than just making calls, but other aspects like office applications havn't fundamentally changed in the last 25 years (Visicalc, WordPerfect etc).

6. TeraInnovations

TeraInnovations Registered Member

As long as programs have the functionality to access the system (any access... even saving files), you will always have malicious code. As we really do not have any definitive knowledge of the brain right now, I doubt that we will advance to much as to be able to implant chips. I think something like Alzheimers should be solved first. The current computing setup is probably going to stay around for a while (monitor + keyboard + mouse) because of how easy it is to use. Yes, maybe we will make it ALL with infrared projection, but if it was controlled by your brain, you would have things happening like "Brain Hacking" (people coming around and hacking into computers by just thinking)

Processors will start to become even faster, but unless some more technological advances come, they will probably flatten out in some years (adding more and more processors doesn't count as an advance ;) )

Also - if it has taken this long and Microsoft still has most of the support for 16 bit applications (and can still process .COM files), I doubt that there will be any major change anytime soon. There are SO many current programs and billions-trillions of dollars has been spent developing them.

Trying to manage things without an actual computer will probably also be annoying - how could you easily sort information only by sight?

NASA was able to develop technology which attaches to the vocal chords to 'read your mind' (your brain sends pulses to your vocal chords even if you arent going to say something) to tell a rover to go left, right, up, down. This is an interesting step, but it needs some work :)

We are advancing, but, I don't expect anything to happen too soon.

Also, if something is stored internally and something goes wrong with it (EVERY software is bugged), could you imagine 7 billion people having to get surgery to remove it and put a new one in? It would be incredibly expensive.

Plus -- if we didn't have any viruses, what would we all be doing with our lives??!! :)

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not really true. Just look the hardware progress...
    First microprocessors like 4040 or 8080 compared to today 4 GHz CPUs?
    Or "just" a soundcard with 10k MIPS of horsepower (Creative X-Fi) where it could hardly play basic MIDI samples decade and a half ago.
    Not to mention incredible increase in graphical detail level in games. From 2D and basic 3D games we watch nearly photo realistic visuals. They still aren't really photorealistic but with DirectX 10 technologies we'll close the gap significantly (see how software and hardware technology blends together?).
    Software is no different. Just compare MS DOS with MS Windows XP or upcoming Vista ? Or just a Windows 95/98 and Windows XP ?
    Or even first Unix OS with Linux ?
    The difference is enormous even if you don't see it right away (nicer and more user friendly interface, better drivers, stronger and more stable core).
    Other programs don't show such drastic shifts but they still evolve with every day trends (new software technologies and standards). For example see how P2P networks evolved from their first predecessors?

Now to return ontopic. AV software evolves the same.
    At first it was just antivirus. Look at them now? A multipurpose detection systems to detect trojans, worms, viruses, rootkits and in last few years even spyware. It's no longer just antivirus though their name persisted.
    New technologies rise continuously. Like HiVE/Sandbox/ThreatSense or technolgies like TruPrevent and KL Proactive Defense. Detection engines also evolved. It's no longer just pattern matching, there is decompression, decrypting, emulating, heuristics evaluation and so on involved.
    Latest trend in preventive technologies are HTTP scanning components already in use by several antiviruses like avast!, NOD32 and upcoming KAV6.
    See the "invisible" evolution? And this list is just going and going...

8. bigc73542

It is always interesting to see what people think the future will hold here is what they thought a home computer would look like in 2005 from fifty years ago.

Attached Files:

9. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Yeah, I have a big empty space in my basement for this one.:p :D

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Hehe, they didn't expect ultra small sub 90nm (nm = nanometer) chips based on transistors technology. They also didn't expect mouse/keyboard as input devices and ultra precise color ink jet and laser printers, multichannel digital speakers and sexy flat LCD displays as output devices :D Did i mentioned voice input control? Omg we're ahead of time hihi.
    Scotty beam me up :D

11. bigc73542

the developement of electronics is moving so fast now with computers designing computers that it will be almost impossible to imagine what will be in use in the future and as to the future of antivirus programs==your guess is as good as mine :D

12. Ned Slider

Every time I see that picture, I still always wonder what they thought the stearing wheel was for o_O

13. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

C'mon Ned, Need For Speed Most Wanted ;)

Future of AV's ? thats easy, like the movie Lawn Mower Man..Happy Bytes will be confined to a chamber, strapped to a chair with probes on his head, fighting virus in cyber space through virtual reality :D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

That's to help get the norton live update to work!.lol!.I'm sorry, just couldn't resist that one.Just joking.I realize its difficult to project but i think we will still need security.But i feel we are starting to go in a different direction than av,s, like the virual software.

15. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

navigating the "information superhighway," of course!

16. Ned Slider

^^ ROTFL - I guess I asked for those :D

17. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

So far, when you can't get the proactive methods to detect about 98 % of all kinds of nasties, you have to be able to add the most of submitted infected sample signatures within about 2 hours, the last of them you have only 24 hrs time to do it.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

As long there is a switch ON/OFF button, I don't care what they invent in the future.

19. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Perhaps full access to the internet built into our bodies?

I just watched an anime about something like this [Ghost in the Shell]. Those Japanese... they have this whole thing planned out. :T

20. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Future of AV's? That's simple...:)

Attached Files:

21. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

The reason Intel and AMD have gone to dual core processors, is that they are having difficulty making the computer chips any smaller...so expect to see quad core processors following the dual core ones.

There's studies being conducted on living cell comupters <but how do you keep it alive?>, quantum computers <sound a damned long way off if you ask me>, and if I remember right, another type of crystal chip (or maybe the crystal one was just for RAM...can't remember)

As for MS, or any other company making a fault free OS...how many lines of code is XP ? You would be counting in the 10's of MILLIONS....it's virtually impossible to not make mistakes in something that size...and probably quite impossible to see every hole in something that size....I don't expect Vista will be too different from that...though hopefully it does end up being harder to hack/easier to secure.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well if you take nano technology as practical example, that may not be so far away. Maybe year 2022 is a bit too close but who knows. Infected by virus or flue? Download pattern and heal yourself :p

23. IBK

IBK AV Expert

AMD will release Quad-Core soon.

24. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

25. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Err...they're constantly making them on smaller and smaller cores. And quad cores have been announced on the horizon a while ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.