Future Changes to Nod32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Blackspear, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citrus

citrus Registered Member

love to see IMON watching on download traffic on port 119 nntp

2. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

OK, I'll try to keep this kinda short, and please bear in mind that this is all from a corporate admin (heavy RA Console user) standpoint, not necessarily an end user:

RA Console - UNIQUE identifier for all machines, preferably something like MAC address. As it is, if a machine pulls a new IP address (DHCP/dialup, etc.) or has its name changed, it creates another entry in the RA database. This creates a lot of "fluff" of dead entries. There's no easy way to purge them, either.

RA Console - Engine (component) version number available through the RA console, not just def versions.

NOD32 - Why do we have to use the "Launch external process" to run a scheduled scan? Should be able to use a profile instead.

NOD32 system - A flag readable by WMI/VBScript/whatever that will provide the status of the system (Idle/WAITING FOR RESTART/etc.) so that an action can be taken based on that.

RA Console - Ability to pull user configuration info (i.e. the contents of the Information tab) remotely

Overall - Tighten up the default installation parameters - All modules on by default, better preset configuration for novices.

AMON - If the installation is passworded, DON"T require that password to START the protection! Definitely require it if the user wants to turn it off.

NOD32/AMON - ABility to programmatically initiate an update from the client end.

That's it for now.

3. Fatalis

Fatalis Registered Member

If the CC is not going to be a MMC snap-in, add an option to disable GUI skin and use the default shell style.

4. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Good points, AnotherJack.

Another one, I will like to be able to choose a config file when you hi-lite pcs to run a scan on. You are unable to do this unless you choose "Select a Task" from the toolbar.

5. jtodd929

jtodd929 Registered Member

NOD32: please put a link in the start menu all programs listing for NOD32 updates. This way, when i want to do a manual update, I can go to start menu all programs and pin the updates link to my start menu for future manual updates. This way i will not have to even open the NOD32 control panel (which I prefer).

6. anotherjack

Just thought of another:

Have the resolution or button pressed by the user as part of the notification message to the sysadmins. For instance:

10/5/2004 14:07:56 PM - Program Virus Alert AMON - Antivirus monitor triggered on xxxxxx: C:\Program Files\Common Files\llnlrnjb\lfccnlndff\lnbfcclrt.exe infected with Win32/Agent.AY trojan. - User pressed Delete (or Clean/Close/Rename, etc.) - File deletion (or Clean/Ignore/Rename) - Successful (or not)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  7. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

Please please add an easier way of deleting old programs from imon http listo_O?? :D

8. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Yes, like Look'n'Stop. When an aplicattion is removed, Look'nStop remove it from its aplicattion filtering. IMON can delete removed program from its http list too.

9. anotherjack

OK, thought I'd throw another one in here related to XML configuration files:

1. The ability to COPY a profile from one config file to another. I'm having to redo work on all of my XML files to add another (identical) profile to each. Copy & Paste would be easier and reduce the possibility of errors.

2. Have the three default profiles (My Profile, Context menu and Control Center) available in the source XML file to begin with, so if I want to set up the Context Menu to have all the boxes checked, etc., I don't have to go through and actually create it. (Ahem. Related to #1)

3. Have the entire configuration written to the XML file by default, not just things that are set differently from the defaults. Sure, it triples the size of the XML file, but then it's only 17k or so.

More to come as I drink more coffee... :D

10. JBravo

JBravo Guest

Stop NOD from loading Winmgmt.exe automatically at startup for those who don't need it.

11. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Winmgmt.exe doesn't startup on my system (XP Pro SP2, NOD32 2.12.2). It's probably something unique to your configuration.

[Edit: I read the companion thread about this topic. Winmgmt.exe doesn't apparently execute as a separate process, but rather shows up as a generic svchost.exe container process. I do have WMI enabled, so I guess it is running.]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  12. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

A Pause button to pause the scanning.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

A context menu in the trayicon to disable, restart and stop some Resident module, or make an Update.

14. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Nevermind, it works you just have to hit the back button all the way to the beginning and then you select a config file.

15. anotherjack

I've set up an XML file just for that purpose called "ScanClient.xml" that has more stringent settings than our normal configuration. The sequence I use for manually scanning a client from the RA console is this:

Right click client in the main RA screen , select New Task, then On demand scan
    Hit the Back button twice
    Click "Create from template"
    Choose the ScanClient.xml file by double clicking
    Check the "Clean automatically" box, even though it's already defined in the XML file... :D
    Click Next, Next, Finish

That does the trick for me.

Mods: You may want to move these couple of messages to another thread (RA Console?) so we can keep this one OT

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  16. neophius

neophius Registered Member

Create scan on morning boot while still logged of :D .
    I know I like to scan every day at least 2 times :D so I have it set for lunch time when I am not using the computer :cool: and also early morning :eek: when my pc auto boots into windows. To do this I have to use the auto logon in Power toys for windows or Tweak UI. o_O But if you want total security a virus scanner would have to be able to scan while logged of. It would be good if I could know my PC was scanned before I start for the day. :D So for this to happen you could add a scan while logged of and name user and drives to scan for this user.

I know i love Nod32 I have been using it since it arrived and have not received a virus on that PC. Its the Best EGG. :D :D

17. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

NOD 32 already does this on my system, running XP Pro. Default system scans configured under the NOD scheduler are run as system tasks independent of the logged in user. I leave my computer on 24 hours. Full scans run with no users logged on, and I often log in to the computer to find that NOD has performed a virus definition update overnight, or in my absence.

18. neophius

neophius Registered Member

Well :eek: :eek: thats just great i never knew that my virus scanner was working while i was not logged on thanks that makes it by far the best [MOVE]virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner virus scanner [/MOVE] money can buy :cool: wouldnt you agree. :D

19. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

For Remote Admin:

Imon listed as Running or Stopped like Amon.

20. who me?

who me? Guest

You really need to add scanning in Alternate Data Streams (ADS) in your NT suite.

21. Sisko

Sisko Registered Member

An Option to scan inside self extracting (like the one created with winzip or winrar) archives during On Demand Scan.

Sisko

22. webwude

webwude Guest

How about configure the email ports (e.g. secure imap - port 993) ?

ww

23. K1w1

K1w1 Guest

I don't want much - just the feature of having updates resume from where they were if you get disconnected while updating.

24. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

I would like to submit:
    if you do scan button and find something bad and so want to clean it ..... maybe the clean button will simply follow the scan log to the problem areas rather than "rescan" everything?

Otherwise why are two buttons justified (Ie: Scan vs. Clean) if they both scan the whole thing and so take double time?

I like the idea that "scan only" working faster because its not in "write mode", however Clean must also work faster because its not in "read Mode" , except for pointing to the areas the log is not pointing to from the previous scan which found the problems?

25. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Allow hovering over the icon in the system try to show what modules are active and the current definitions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.