Future Changes to ESS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Blackspear, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

The aim of this thread is to give feedback to ESET as to changes we would like to see in future upgrades of ESS

Please be very specific so that your suggestion can be written in one line. After this go into DETAIL though remember to try and keep it in plain and simple terms. If it is too complex I will simply add: refer to post number XX. Basically, if I can't understand it, how can I write about it.

If your suggestion has already been discussed in previous threads please post links to such, this may help further explain your case to ESET and others reading your suggestion.

You are welcome to discuss the merits of each and every suggestion, just keep on topic, as there are other parts in the forum to discuss issues.

A list will be maintained in this first post enabling people to easily see if their suggestion is already included.

Cheers

Blackspear :D

1. Email integration with Thunderbird.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
  2. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

Re: Future Changes to ESS 3.0

Email integration with Thunderbird

3. K1LL3M

K1LL3M Registered Member

+1 thunderbird

4. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

removal of built in LOCKED rules
    (or create a new mode ADVANCED mode) which although similar to interactive mode.. doesnt have any premade/uneditable rules)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  5. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

The ability to log in to ESS for the current session (ie. until reboot or log out).

It is annoying to have to enter the password everytime there is a pop up, or every time you go in and out of settings pages in the GUI.

Steve.

6. swagger01

swagger01 Registered Member

4. E-Mail integration with Windows Live Mail.

5. The ability to exclude applications from the firewall IN automatic mode.

7. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

* Add a shortcut for 'Configure rules and zones' to the menu that pops up when you right-click on the ESS icon in the system tray.

* Make the aforementioned menu customisable: add a section to the advanced setup tree that shows all available menu options, and allow the user to tick/untick what he/she wants to show in the menu.

* Make the firewall's 'temporarily remember action for this process' customisable. Currently, you can either temporarily allow, or temporarily deny, a process. Enable the 'Show Advanced options' drop down so that I can temporarily stop my browser from making a connection attempt to a certain IP address/port, for example.

8. Xophile

Xophile Registered Member

9. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

ability to schedule firewall rules
    e.g rule active between xx.xx pm to xx.xx pm on specific day/days

10. bluesprite

bluesprite Registered Member

After-execution behaviour analysis. By that I mean some basic HIPS, without code injection or process launch control, but more like Threatfire's normal protection mode - i.e., known (potentially) dangerous behaviour.

11. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

make ess newer version 100% winxp sp3 compatible

12. sherryxp2000

sherryxp2000 Registered Member

Make the menu system more simple, more user initiative, and add CLARITY.

Make the menu system more simple, more user initiative, and add CLARITY.

While I understand the normal mode, and advanced mode. Many aspects are awkward, not direct, and just a little unorthodox.

In SIMPLE mode and ADCANCED MODE, the clarity just needs to be a lot better, and items need to be easier to get to.

No matter how good EAV is, which I really like, if you make a menu system that makes it easy for total newbies, then you have accomplished something, and a lot more sales. This has often been stated in reviews about NOD/EAV/ESS being a little user unfriendly.

I always recommend your programs to my clients, and many of them make the purchase. BUT often I have to explain to them how to use it. Since 90% of my PC client base are new or unknowledgable about PCs, it just helps everyone.

13. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

An online rules database similar to Agnitum's ImproveNet used by Outpost Firewall and Outpost Security Suite.

See this thread for details.

14. Handries

Handries Registered Member

E-mail integration with the Opera Browser

15. s4u

s4u Registered Member

* HIPS
    * Better self defense

16. toddzy

toddzy Registered Member

I'd love to be able to right-click on a blocked connection in the firewall's log and have the option to "create a rule" from it. By the same token, have a button that says, "Create Rule" which lights up or becomes enabled/active once a blocked connection has been selected in the firewall's log.

17. jciccone

jciccone Registered Member

Thunderbird Integration

Removal of predefined rules in interactive mode. Atleast make them removable or modifyable.

Possibly add incomming rules by hand for Automatic Mode. So all outgoing traffic is allowed but incomming can be filtered by custom rules.

Possibly add Firewall rules based on the log files. So if an application is blocked, and you want to allow it later, you can right click on a log entry and select allow or block. Could be handy. Especially for adding custom rules for automatic mode, so you don't ever get prompted but it's not a bear to add rules later.

Scheduleing of the firewall rules would be a plus.

18. ethernal

ethernal Registered Member

i'd enjoy if ESS business edition didn't automatically drop RDP when freshly installed on a box without a grafic card. :ouch:

side note; if anyone has any good idea how i'm going to get into my Server 2003 Enterprise now that ESS firewalled it to smithereens, when i have no grafical capability in it... that'd be lofley :blink:

19. adhamh

adhamh Registered Member

The ability to add to Exclusions by file name, and not just location. I have 4 files that get copied around a lot, and ESET won't shut up about them being potential viruses.

20. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

A good idea perhaps, but who contributes to the database? If it would be just ESET, then fine. If users, then it kind of assumes that everybody contributing has good intentions! (ie. somebody writes a virus, then pops along to the ESET database and adds a rule for it to be allowed to access the internet).

Steve.

-EDIT- Having just visited the Outpost website:

Forget it. A rules database sounds like a security weakness, IMHO.

21. dormix

dormix Registered Member

An automatic shutdown system after scanner on demand

22. Pfredd

Pfredd Registered Member

IMAP and POP support for Thunderbird.

Notification (at least) or automated update when new program versions are released

23. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

When a user creates a new rule it would be submitted (with their permission) to Eset.
    Eset would then collate these rules and either approve them as being a useful generic rule for that particular application or throw them away.

When a new program requests access, you are asked if you want to create a rule or not. You can either create your own rule or choose from one of the presets downloaded from Eset's rule database.
    Even if you choose one of the presets when creating the rule, you can subsequently edit the rule for that application and refine it if you wish.

Therefore the user has total control.

Even if the preset on which the rule was based changes, the rule that you have saved for your application will not change retrospectively.

24. pomocnik

pomocnik Registered Member

Future Changes to ESS 3.0

E-mail integration with the Opera Browser

25. toddzy

toddzy Registered Member

The ESS uninstallation process is not password-protected. I'm sure we need this so to prevent threats from removing the virus protection.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.