Fun With Klez and Elkern!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by JimIT, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Background:

11 am. User brings HP Celeron 700 with 128mg RAM, 40 gig HD and Windows ME. Complains about computer being slow and unresponsive.

Flip it on. It is very slow and unresponsive. HD is working OT, as well. Annoying MS "Wild Creatures" desktop theme is deactivated as first order of business.

Quick perusal of c drive and Add/Remove Programs shows Gain folder, and McAfee remnants from an incomplete uninstall. That's enough for me. Copy contents of fresh F-Prot for DOS to folder in root directory. Reboot with w98 boot disk and run F-Prot from command line. Scan takes 1 hour and 10 minutes and finds 52 infected files, four or five of which are Elkern, and the rest Klez. F-Prot deletes or disinfects all but three.

12:40--Reboot using Avast! BART cd. BART finds original 52, plus an "unknown" script virus in an html page. Doh! Have not disabled the "file recovery" feature in ME. Make this change and reboot. Run Norton's "fixklez" tool. Clean scan. Run F-Prot for DOS. Clean scan.

2 pm--Throw machine on network and check for Windows/IE updates. Needs 'em all. Patch everything and download Avast! 4 Home. Reboot. Avast! finds nothing suspicious running in memory. Hit internet and d/l Spybot. Finds 270 pieces of crud, including lop, gator, etc. Delete 'em all. Also dump contents of IE temp files and entire cookie folder. Enable all the "immunize" features of Spybot and reboot.

4:15 pm--Machine is running like a dream. Re-scan w/Avast!. Clean scan. User is elated. World is safe again. ;)

2. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi JimIT,

well, great job! But I have a question: Wouldn't it be faster reinstalling Windows ME? It took you 5h of work!! O.K., the customer has to pay that... ;) LOL (Just kidding!)

Best regards,

Patrice

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

:D

But then it wouldn't be as fun!
    :D :D

4. Patrice

:D :D :D

Got your point!!

LOL :D LOL :D LOL :D

5. controler

controler Guest

I agree, somebody must have been bored :D

6. <SIGH> It's people like me who gotta watch out for people like you! ;)

Did the customer use McAfee? Did he update the def's? Does he know how? LOL... Or are you saying McAfee was ineffective? :p

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Yeah, we're the weird ones. ;)
    1. Yes.
    2. No. No def updates after (at minimum) mid 2001. The version of Klez he contracted probably blew up McAfee, which resulted in the fragments I found.
    3. A better question would probably be "Did he care?" ;)
    4. Impossible to tell without updated defs, isn't it? :D Like having no AV at all! :doubt:

8. Patrice

Hi Straight Shooter,

Not all people are that BAD like JimIT! ;) LOL :D :D

Greetz!

Patrice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.