fun fun! windows washer will not delete Perflib_Perfdata_XXX.dat

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by whatever, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatever

whatever Registered Member

i have three files in my temp directory that will not delete they are: C:\DOCUME~\Myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_XXX.dat
    (XXX.dat is two numbers and one letter such as 1c8.dat) i searched on how to delete this and found the msn windows post on it. this seems to happen when you have a orphaned program after you have crashed and says to use a script to delete it but in classic Microsoft fashion there no script on how to do this is listed or how to go about deleting these files. they say to just run a script on startup....any help or advice on this

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

have you tried deleting them after a reboot?

or if that doesn't work safe mode. i have a program like the one Dog has that always works for me. also, if you have killbox that can do it too (delete on boot)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  3. dog

dog Guest

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi guys...

here is a handy little link I found recenty for various apps including Dr. Delete that will delete some files even in use.

http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/dr-delete.htm

Works for me :) btw, it's a direct link to Dr. Delete with full explanations of use, plus screenshots.

Cheers TAS

edit.. btw, just unzip and it's ready to work. No install....

Attached Files:

• 059.JPG
      059.JPG
      File size:
      60.9 KB
      Views:
  5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Attached Files:

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

8. whatever

well i have tried the first 3 progams listed only Dr. Delete did anything (deleted the first one but the other two stayed undeleted after the reboot then after detleting those entrys on reboot... oh lucky me! the origanal entry regenerated with a c7.dat instead of the origanal 18c.dat and the other two entrys are unchanged.)

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, if you drag the file/s into the program from post#5 it will tell you which program is using the files, then you can do something about that program which has a hold on the files.

10. whatever

i used the that program but it says that program is not in use but i try to delete it with window washer its still in use and regenerates if i use dr.delete how about using a anti virus to try to quarintine the file then delete it? i have no spyware or viruses

11. whatever

well i tried to quarintine the file but my anti virus says "file cannot be quarintined" so that idea is out

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried it in "Safe Mode?"

Cheers :D

13. bch

bch Registered Member

I have no idea whether or not this will work. If you temporarily disable Windows Performance Counters you might be able to delete the Perflib_Perfdata.dat files. A programme such as a memory monitor will use the Windows Performance Counters to function and when you start up such a programme you can see the Perflib_Perfdata.dat file being created in your Temp folder. When the monitoring programme is closed the Perflib_Perfdata.dat file should be deleted. Performance counter registry keys can be found in the following location : HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\"ServiceName"\Performance (where "Service Name" is the name of the counter.) In order to disable a counter you need to change the value of "Disable Performance Counters" from 0 to 1.

A list of Service Names that you will find :

PerfOS : for Cache, Memory, Object, Paging File, Processor, System.

PerfDisk : for LogicalDisk, PhysicalDisk

PerfNet : for Browser, Redirector, Server

PerfProc : for Job Object, Job Object Details, Process, Thread, Thread Details

Spooler : for Print Queue

TapiSrv : for Telephony

Tcpip : for IP, ICMP, NBT Connection, Network Interface, TCP, UDP

Another (simpler) way to disable the counters is to install Microsoft's Exctrlst.exe from http://tinyurl.com/wprk Although this programme is for Windows 2000 it works perfectly well on XP. After installing, click on "Services" and it will list the above items and tell you what is enabled and what is not. Untick the boxes to disable them and it will change the registry value for you. After you have tried deleting the files, tick the boxes to re-enable the Performance Counters. A reboot is not required to change the registry values.

As I say, I'm not sure if it will work but if the stubborn files can't access the Performance Counters then they may be deletable.

14. whatever

well a little update on this Perflib problem, i went to support for webroot's washer and sent in a ticket and still i am waiting for a reply thanks for the help but givin webroot's support a chance to find a way to delete it.i wonder if its some leftovers of a windows update...well at least this thread will help other people with this perflib problem (i looked and there is only refrences are to the microsoft site that has incomplete information.)

15. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Use Window Washer in safe mode, some files are difficult and require this or a reboot, it's not the program.

16. BerkWood

BerkWood Guest

Not sure if you ever got this resolved, buti had the same file, but it is associated with DKservice.exe, which is DisKeeper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.