Fully encrypted TrueCrypt drive no longer accepting password

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by adroit, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adroit

adroit Registered Member

The other day I tried to power up my laptop (fully encrypted), but it would not accept my TrueCrypt password. I'm absolutely positive that I know the password, it is something I've been typing in multiple times a day for over 2 years. I removed the drive from my laptop and connected it to my desktop in an attempt to mount the drive without pre-boot authentication. It is giving me an error saying that I have the incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt volume. I have tried using the embedded backup header but I am still getting the same error.

Is there anything that I can do to recover my drive?

2. Simpson474

Simpson474 Registered Member

A fully encrypted TrueCrypt drive does not have an embedded backup header. To mount a system encryption from another PC you have to set the checkbox "Mount partition using system encryption without pre-boot authentication" and your keyboard has to be configured to the US-Layout (if this is not the default layout of your keyboard in Windows). TrueCrypt requires you to create a Rescue Disc for system encryption: you can try to put back the disk into your laptop and to restore the TrueCrypt header using the Rescue Disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.