Full F-Secure + Adaware Pro for free w/Lifetime License.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SDS909, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avex

Avex Guest

Hi,

I am a newbie (the only package i have used so far is Norton Internet Security 2004) with these things and would like to give this package a try. I have a refurbished laptop with no firewall or anti-virus scanner installed on it. With this F-Secure package, it seems i need to install it from the net. If it needs say 2.5 hrs for it to be installed and setup properly......does it mean my computer with be left un-guarded for this period?

Sorry.....i am new to these things and i don't know if i've made my question clear......

I would like to try this particular package......but am uncomfortable with the fact that i need to connect to the net, download and install this program without proper protection. Is there a way to solve this?

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

To make a software program compatible for all computers is impossible. The conflicts you are seeing on your system with KAV-based engines are based upon your unique software/hardware combinations on your computer(s).
    Precisely. KAV-based engines do not suit your system.
    But your observations are only directly applicable to your system. Glad to hear that NOD suits you and your system. But F-Secure may suit other people and their machines much better than NOD! Let's not generalise and encourage people to try 'new' software.

3. Blackcat

Yes. But 2.5 hours download time is apparently for dial-up.
    Have you a friend/colleague who can download this package for you on a high-speed connection? Then you can burn the package to disc/flashdrive and install the program on your computer.

I would advise this anyway if you are restricted to dial-up.

Further, if you have a refurbished laptop, you may find, IME, the F-secure package quite 'heavy' on your computer.

4. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I have 1 Gigs cable modem connection, but still 2.5 hrs.

Btw, not managed to get the Ad-Aware module updates yet.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

5. Blackcat

The server(s) must be very slow or busy :eek:

How is the RTM on resource/memory usage, FF? And will you be testing this AV against your malware collection?

6. tsehov

tsehov Registered Member

I just tried Shaw and I noticed it is really hungry for RAM: running with default settings it took a bit over 60MB RAM, it had 15 processes running. Of course it got a little lighter when I disabled Parental Control etc. (I did not install AD-Aware at all.)

It found 587 of my 594 (viruses and trojans) collection (on demand scan).

I suddenly returned to my F-Prot 3.16b. Though it finds 'only' 582 (+ 6 suspicious objects) of my collection it still eats about 6.7MB RAM.

7. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I have said some weeks ago that my WinXP system is already a crap now, so I have lost my win task manager. Tried with CachemanXP, but just taking the snapshot, the CPU usage jumped up, normally it's 25 %. If this helps, so OK.

I've scanned the whole 2624 samples collection, couldn't rename, remove, or delete those archives, very big job to count each detected archived sample from logfile. Still already, I think that this has the best detection rate among those FREE av:s. :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

On their download page it says it is for their customers and possible future customers. That sounds as if it is a download for anyone that finds their web page to me.

bigc

9. RAV

RAV Registered Member

I think you are misreading the terms and conditions of the offer. It states their "customers" and "new" customers. It does not state "future" customers. I would not use this package, but would rather pay for something legit when it comes to the security of my PCs. I would say that you are certainly stretching the spirit of the offer; although, they really should have limited registration to their current subscriber base to prevent this from leaking to the world.

I also can't image F-Secure wanting them to freely give their premium security suite away for free. I wouldn't use this suite even if it were free, it is such a resources hog; it dragged my system down to a crawl more than any other security suite that I tested. Only other thing that was close, was Panda.

10. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Unguarded? Its not like theres 40,000 viruses sitting outside your home waiting to invade. I can go months and months without an AV installed and not get an infection of any type, i'm sure a couple hours will be fine for you. Some people can take this whole thing to a new level of paranoia, don't be too scared.

11. bigc73542

Here it whatit says on their registration page for the f-secure. see screen shot

Attached Files:

12. bigc73542

And when you finnish with the registration you get this screen.

Attached Files:

13. bigc73542

And then you will have this

Attached Files:

14. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I have noticed that BlackCat likes to really over do it . BlackCat , I KNOW . I think I pointed out everything you wanted to point outr again . Please help people . Not me ok . Your remarks were a total waste of time . Thanks anyway and have a great day

regards

15. hollywoodpc

By the way . I never said , NOR did I imply , that AV makers should make their software compatible with everything . I wil not continue . My posts explain themselves .

16. bigc73542

I hear that people are having trouble downloading this av program. I don't know what the problem could be, I had it downloaded, installed, updated and configured in about twenty minutes.

bigc

17. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Yeah, but the force is with you! I think I'm gonna skip it, but, am going to watch thread with interest - I, too, wonder why?

Thanks for your input, BigC and all you other brave souls!

18. bigc73542

The free av program from Shaw is just an advertising campaign to get the name of their Internet provider company out on the web. It is only a marketing scheme. It is legal and F-secure doesn't care if they give the av away seeing as how Shaw internet has paid Data Fellows for the use of the F-secure Products. Just thought I would mention these facts as there has been some questions as to why they would give it away or why F-secure would let them.

bigc

19. Rogue_Hunter

Rogue_Hunter Registered Member

It's only fairly recently that Shaw decided to drop the cost for using this suite and make it free. Before when I was comtemplating signing up, it would have been $6.95 Canadian I believe a month to keep it running and such, oh and there's still always the chance they could charge people for using this, it's in their terms and services for the product.

»https://secure.shaw.ca/apps/shawsecure/License..
    section D :

d. Shaw reserves the right to change its fees, including without limitation a right to charge a fee for the current free Shaw Secure Service at a later date but with notice to you.

20. bigc73542

There is always the chance that a free offer or a free av can start being charged for. That is part of what makes life interesting. But I will use it until they do decide to charge for it if they ever do. I really like the F-Secure Security Suite.

bigc

21. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

OK! Those both make sense now.

I mean, what did you expect with from people in a security forum? Blind Trust?!?:D

22. hollywoodpc

I have used it in the past Big C . It is nice . Just wish I could use it now as an on demand . Oh well . AVK did not do well on my system either . But that too , uses KAV right ? Thanks . And again , many thanks for you help

23. bigc73542

Having an av with three scan engines is interesting

Attached Files:

24. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Hmm,

I was going to write to say that F-Secure works really smoothly with my system (INTC 2.8B GHz, 1GB RAM) when I read RAV's comments. I have KAV 5 and 6 Beta installed on my other machines (AMD64, 1 GB RAM and INTC 1.7A Ghz, 0.7 GB RAM) and I must say that the KAV's real time access slows down the apps which are opening, but not F-Secure.

Two negatives:
    i) huge install over the net
    ii) large memory requirements (but no impact on access)

25. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

on my 3.4 prescott on an cable connection it was a 1,5 hour work to install, update, re-update, reboot twice...I uninstalled it immediately but kept my licence on a disc for the future...

I stick with nod32 with ewido, boclean and tds-3 on demand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.