Full Disk Encryption on USB

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

I use Portable Apps on a USB. This includes Firefox and many other programs that save all the history/cache etc to the USB stick. I would like to encrypt the full USB stick in case I lose it. If I can encrypt it, then I don't have to worry about clearing the history/cache each time I close down Firefox. I am finding that I cannot create a Truecrypt volume and stick the portable apps software in there because it is installed in the USB root drive (e.g. E:). If I use a volume, then it mounts to a virtual drive, and I would have to install to that drive. Is there a better way of doing this? Any suggestions on how to use whole disk encryption on a USB and be able to run portable apps?

2. reparsed

reparsed Registered Member

A TC container on the USB flash drive (root) seems to be the best way. You can create a .bat file to make mounting the container easier. Also put the TC Traveler files on the USB drive (not inside the container).

mount.bat
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    Q:TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt.exe /q /lZ /e /m rm /v "portable_apps.tc"
    cls
    @exit

3. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Just remember, if you don't have administrative access on the machine your using your USB Key on, you will not be able to access your TrueCrypt volume unless TrueCrypt is installed on the host computer.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Your best bet would be a Kingston Data Traveler Secure/DTSP or take a look at an IronKey. The encryption is hardware-based so there's no need for admin privileges.

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Not true. Please read this.

6. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Ok, let me clarify. You can't use TrueCrypt without administrative access without using outside programs.

And as even stated, that version is not compatible with v5.0 (and presumably v5.0a)

I have not used nor know about TC Explorer. But keep in mind you will be writing your data unencrypted to the hard drive of the computer your using. Yes, it cites its "securely erased," but the fact that its written unencrypted in the first place is not a good thing.

Oh, and it appears that TCExplorer does not support NTFS partitions in containers.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.