Full backup question from first timer...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by data7, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. data7

data7 Registered Member

Hello,

I have successfully installed TI 10 Home and also created my "Rescue" CD and it is safely stored away.

I have completed several Full backups (*.tib) to a Western Digital USB drive that are created and verifed successfully according to TI 10.

My question is this:

Am I supposed to perform the Full backup from TI 10 in Windows XP (as I have done), or am supposed to boot the PC from the "Rescue " CD before attempting the Full backup?

Perhaps I am a little confused on this... :)

data7

2. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You can do it either way. But whichever way you choose, even though the Images are successfully verified, that is no assurance that a Recovery will produce a booting drive like the original - as many have found out too late. So I would recommend you get a spare drive and restore the image to it and then boot it to make sure it works as it should.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello data7,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that previous posters are correct. You can do backing up either way. When used in Windows Acronis True Image will use Windows drivers to access drives. Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers for the wide variety of modern hardware. In other words, it does not depend on the hardware configuration of the system it was created on.
    Please notice that in case of a system failure you will need to boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media to perform the restore operation.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. LosAnnegeles

LosAnnegeles Registered Member

"... even though the Images are successfully verified, that is no assurance that a Recovery will produce a booting drive like the original - as many have found out too late. So I would recommend you get a "spare" drive and restore the image to it and then boot it to make sure it works as it should."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am also a first timer. Please clarify how to "get a spare drive" onto which one can "test-restore" their successfully verified full backup image. I hope this doesn't mean I have to buy another hard drive or computer?!

Can I not somehow create that "spare" drive on the same (100 GB) computer that I'm backing up (I've >70 GB free space)? If so, specifically how do you do that?

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I faced the same problem some time back and my conclusion then was to go out and buy a "spare" hard drive as it was the sensible thing to do.
    It allows a real restore to be made in perfect safety to prove your backup strategy in the most complete way possible.
    In the event of a real hard drive failure you will have a drive on hand to restore to without having to wait for the procurement process to run through.
    Think of it like a spare wheel for a motor car, you may not need for ages but when you do.......

Xpilot

7. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Very nice analogy, Xpilot. :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.