Fuduntu is dead - but ...

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by tlu, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

http://www.fuduntu.org/blog/2013/04/15/fuduntu-team-meeting-held-on-april-14-2013/

EDIT: This confirms my decision to stick with big distros which will certainly still be available in a couple of years.

2. fewt

fewt Registered Member

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

that may be true, but longevity is a concern for me as well.
    larger distros also are usually better supported.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Sadly, just as I predicted. 'Twas one of the better ones.
    --- "My only fear is that the small and unfunded development team could vanish, and then, no more Fuduntu."
    Mrk

5. fewt

fewt Registered Member

It was a valid concern, even for us within the team. We worked hard to try to attract developers and also to improve our income so we weren't operating in the red but we weren't successful enough in either case to survive long term.

The team is regrouping and looking at re-creating all of the things that made us stand out on another base so they don't have to maintain it themselves. That will help them keep the costs down, and to also leverage upstream talent. I'm sure they will be successful.

I stand by my comment though, people need to go out of their way to support small distributions. If they don't and just become users of those distributions, they will eventually die off because you only get out of FOSS what you put into FOSS. :D

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

That´s sad. Fuduntu is the best distro i ever used, and i´m sure that many final users would like to use it and support it, if they only know it :(

7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

This is really ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ unfortunate.
    Of all the distros in all the worlds, this one gets discontinued?
    Just when you thought, your distro hopping days are over... Just saddening.

Rise Phoenix, rise! (read the blog)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  8. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

GNOME 2 is deprecated. They'll probably move to Cinnamon or MATE 2. We'll see if Fuduntu is resurrected from the ashes.

9. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

this was my biggest fear such a beautiful distro i wish you guys cont as redhat is also cont on gtk 2 for long time

please cont with this distro also made a new one with GTK3 as well let people choose which distro they like fuduntu is unique because of only distro after redhat base on GTK 2 i really wish u cont ........as fuduntu is unique distro not just fedora + codecs ;)

10. fewt

fewt Registered Member

I wish it were that simple. In order to rebase on RHEL we would have to abandon gamers, and start over from scratch forcing all current users to reinstall (which in the latter case is true for FuSE also). Then there is the issue of having a large enough team to support everyone, and enough money to support keeping the lights on + growth.

We took in enough donations to help keep the lights on and pay for a bit of growth but a lot of our growth dollars came out of my pocket. In addition we had a busy team, but I was still working 30+ a week on the distro on top of paying the bills.

The project just wasn't self sustaining, we held donation drives and volunteer drives but we couldn't attract enough of either.

Hopefully the team that formed to work on the new FuSE project will do well with it.

I did look into re-basing on RHEL 6, and I may do that for myself but it wouldn't be something that I would release because once it was out in the wild people would start using it and expect me to support them. I can't do that anymore.

If there was a market for a "pay for updates" or "pay for support" classic focused long term stable desktop, I would probably consider it but I really don't think that there is.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  11. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i can understand what you going through all i can say you got telent and lot of guys love to do business with you including my self :p

and start something so call professionally serious desktop distro as far payment i dont mind one time payment like outpost firewall ;)

and free community support as well paid support if i pay extra

i dont mind sponsors advertise on your site or a advertisement video/ PDF brochures of sponsors to keep your distro at startup as long it doesn't concern my real security privacy there are many other way to make money without compromising distro

problem is clear things and what user what if you maintain these 2 things i dont see money big issue at start yes but once flow started you dont need to look back ;)

my granddad use to say if you start a new business

1st 2 years you need to invest and eat from home

2nd 2 years need to maintain losses and frustration

3rd next 2 years people start recognise you need to spread your name as much as you can and you start recovering your losses if you lucky

4th now at 6-8 years you in the game now you know it if one source of money close you get other options to get it ( what i mean to say things dont manipulate you change them according to your need because now you know your cards and game and above all masses knows you and support you)

example: Ubuntu/linux mint

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.