Fuduntu 2013.1 review - Fedora done right + awesome!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've written a highly positive review of Fuduntu 2013.1 64-bit edition, a Fedora-based distribution with Ubuntu simplicity, functionality out of the box and semi-rolling release model, covering an elegant and aesthetic live session, installation in a quadruple-boot configuration, and post-install usage, including look & feel, Wireless, Samba sharing, multimedia playback - MP3 & Flash, applications choice, webcam, desktop effects, printing, low resource usage, rock-solid stability, suspend & resume, hardware driver utilities, and more. I do not often grant the perfect 10/10 score, but this one deserves it. Just great.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fuduntu-2013-1.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

awesome review 10/10 :argh:

hard to believe ;)

last time i use its was ok but they are moving in right track i gues by making it better and better i agree fuduntu developers read your reviews and take critics very seriously and trying to improve things rather than complaining :D

one thing i found great that they reduce crappy softwares by default and make it minimal let user decide :thumb:

3. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Delightful distro. Very decent live sessions, low resource usage, relatively speedy on an old system, comparable with Mint 13 MATE.
    Easy setup, everything pretty straight forward, no silly complaint about my old school PentiumM not supporting PAE kernel (like Ubuntu 12.10/Mint14), it now replaces Mint Maya as my main distro.
    Feduntu might do with Fedora, what LinuxMint did with Ubuntu.
    Thanks for posting Mrk, excellent pointer.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

what windows/desktop manager does it use?

edit:
    never mind, found it: Gnome 2

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I would like to try this, however I have a dumb question. I have a Windows 32bit OS installed on my desktop and I have 4g RAM. Can I run a dual boot system with the existing Windows at 32bit and Fuduntu 64bit ? Or is this a 'no way' mix?

6. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Sure, if you have a 64bit CPU you can run Fuduntu 64 bit while having already a Win 32bit OS installed, no problem.
    If this is your first try at dual booting, make sure to read up on how to make an separate partition for Fuduntu.
    Check for instance the partition guide from topic starter Mrkvonic on his own website; link, it offers all the necessary info (and more) you might need.
    Also, I'd recommend to backup any important files before installing Feduntu, just as a precaution.

7. Mrkvonic

Fuduntu 2013.1 in my production setup!

More Fuduntu, more revolution. Here's another long, enthusiastic review of Fuduntu 2013.1 64-bit, a Fedora-based distribution with Gnome 2 desktop, functionality out of the box, and a semi-rolling release model, on my high-end laptop with Nvidia graphics card, featuring installation in a complex, multi-boot setup on an external USB drive, Nvidia drivers installation, Steam and Netflix setup, look & feel, resource usage, stability, suspend & resume, some problems with Nouveau and Nvidia conflicts, the dangerous use of the Testing branch of Fuduntu repositories and subsequent reinstall, future prospects, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fuduntu-2013-1-high-end.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

8. mack_guy911

you where too fast on reinstalling did you try

#yum history :rolleyes:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1638003&postcount=28

edit: i agree some times system really too mess up and no time to tweak and beyond simple solution is reinstall but what i learn form fedora base system is if something get wrong instead of manually uninstall things i do yum roll back most 98% time it help a lot.

on certain things fuduntu have edge over centos and SL as it base on fedora 14 where as redhat/centos/SL is on fedora 12. and only one Repository instead of having multiple and then tweaking them.

fedora 14 got gnome 2.32 thats turning point where as centos/SL gnome 2.28.2 also lot of new stable apps which fedora 12 still misses.

also fedora 13 is the best fedora ever use and 14 continue its lagecy after bugs resolved compare to ubuntu i say ubuntu 10.10 good old days back on fedora 14.

edit 2: i guess docky can be also installed on fedora 14 mrk may you please confirm that it its given in default repostry also yumex its very kind of you :)

i download it when i get my brandwith speed back now surfing on 256-384Kbps only

ie speed not more than 32-48 kbps on download :blink:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  9. Mrkvonic

Well, if you go with glibc, it's usually not gonna work well.
    Mrk

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

It won't be long before another GNOME 3 fork hits the Linux World.

SolusOS recently created the Consort desktop, which basically a GNOME 2 framework ported to the GNOME 3 environment and it doesn't require hardware acceleration to run.

GNOME 3's attempts to abandon the desktop metaphor have flopped dismally and only recently have its developers tried to staunch the hemorrhage. This comes with not listening in the first place to what users need and want.

11. mack_guy911

12. fewt

fewt Registered Member

Re: Fuduntu 2013.1 in my production setup!

Thanks for the review, I've fixed up those kmods to run dracut so that shouldn't be an issue any longer, they should move up to stable within the next few days.

We've had a few users mention that netflix-desktop doesn't pull Silverlight or firefox.exe properly - I'm still troubleshooting that as sometimes it drops a 0 byte file into ~/.netflix-tmp. It'll install the Microsoft fonts for you leaving them in ~/.fonts though so you don't need to use winetricks. :thumb:

I'm still going through the review to find any other problems we can fix up - feel free to drop by #fuduntu on freenode or Fuduntu Forum if you run into any more issues, we'd be happy to help resolve them. :D

13. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Thanks Mrkvonic for taking time out of your days to write the reviews you put together for us :thumb: I find your reviews to be very useful and informative! :thumb: Good stuff!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  14. mack_guy911

thanks man i check when speed come back also chrome mumbo-jambo is that effect fuduntu as well :)

one more vote form my side too :D

15. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

its time to try fuduntu after the expericnce i had with fedora 18, I hope this works for me better than that cow. LOL

16. fewt

fewt Registered Member

Howdy, saw your 2013.1 battery life review - would love to talk to you about that. I have a lot of questions and suggestions on ways to test to find the root cause, also if there are any bugs would love to find and squash them. :D

I can follow this thread, we can start a new one, or you can find me in #fuduntu on freenode or at Fuduntu Forum. :)

Something seems really wrong if you are only seeing 1:20, unless that's within the rated spec for that machine.

17. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Great review, and i love Gnome 2, i´ll definitely try it :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  18. mack_guy911

i found bug in themes on live mode not big deal but if corrected would be better

my 2nd and main question is how long fuduntu support gnome 2.32 i want to switch to your distro and maybe use for next 10-20 years without problem as long it is support gnome 2.32 base :)

19. fewt

fewt Registered Member

We haven't decided yet if or when we are going to ramp down support for GNOME 2.32. We do evaluate alternative desktop environments every few months though. Send us some info on that bug and we'll see if we can get it corrected.

20. mack_guy911

but is very simple just try to change to equinox themes it change theme but dont change window border maybe because i am on live DVD but not a big deal you can custom change it.

my advice to you is stick with this distro as your LTS main rolling rather than stoping such a nice distro to be honest i like your distro more than centos and SL linux now your distro come to mature level stoping it would be such a waste of all great bugfree work :rolleyes:

thats whats really sucks about linux because when it come to level where people want to use it as 10/10 distro it changes :oops:

your save lot of time in tweaking them and for future split and create another one and even if that not possible then reduce one of 32 bit or 64 bit and create one new in its place because i know geeks wants and love R&D but 90% users want good sweet distro with works without problem :D

some people still like windows xp over windows 8 nothing wrong with windows 8 but some people still like simplicity stability usability of windows xp even today

hope you got my point ;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  21. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

By far the best distro i ever used.

My first thought, honestly, was: "(this is so good that) It doesn't even seem Linux".

Awesome :thumb:

22. moontan

moontan Registered Member

just tried this from a USB key.

unfortunately, the name is somewhat misleading.
    i tried installing a PPA from the terminal but i soon realized that the "untu" part of Fuduntu has nothing to do with Ubuntu.

it was very fast and snappy running from a USB key.
    it also looks pretty damn nice with the dock at the bottom and the Faenza Cuppertino icons. :thumb:

23. mack_guy911

Fuduntu is base on fedora 14 after it become rolling as fedora 15+ are gnome 3 base best part of fuduntu over other like redhat clones are

1st best part gnome 2.32 where in centos its 2.28 its 2.32 gnome is lot more mature better in many ways also they put Nautilus Elementary ;)

2nd best thing is single repository for everything like vlc ...... which is not present in centos ......etc

3rd VLC flash mp3......preinstalled and licensed so no problem regarding license using in usa and japan

4th tweaked already bad part about fedora and centos is every new install you need 2-4 hours of tweaking to make it run as desktop which is already done

here i wrote long time ago since when i use fedora 12-14 i guess see that link below it save lot of work and time

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=265473

5th lot of small nice tweaks added to make newbie or user life easy since they thought fedora is difficult distro ..... example Nautilus Elementary, beesu script manager, ailurus

6th part you latest or atleast working best latest software and kernel on Fuduntu

7th best part is more stable than ubuntu base distro dont give stupid weird crashes better Best fonts, Sound and Video quality only other distro which i seen beating it is mandriva in terms of sound and video

8th yum roll back option many times it save if you mess with distro its not 100% but 90% times its help you get your working system back and tweak further to repair

9th light on resources so life you feel like xfce running low on cpu and ram which is best part it keep your system cool and on laptop you feel less battery drain like

mrk test on battey maybe default it gives same or at par as other distro but on running apps specially multiple applications i am sure you find difference and that because of low on cpu and ram

10 check and see your self

disadvantages

i tell them when i install it right call i can say best distro i ever use after along time remind of good old days back ;)

God bless fewt and this team members to keeping this great work alive :thumb:

24. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

mack_guy911,
    I have now been infected by your enthusiasm for this one. :D Maybe we can now replace our SL's, which let's face it, needed quite some fiddling to arrive at what we wanted.
    Wonderful review by Mrk, and great to see fewt posting here. :thumb:

hasta la vista !

25. mack_guy911

yes i am also facing problem after nvidia update form windows something stange happen to card it dont work in SL now i try everything pretty much damage i guess wonder due to repo mix by my fault or nvidia update but now its beyond repair good thing is i can still access my files even from fuduntu which i didnt backup :p

so after backing up to external drive i going to try this one and replacing SL the only thing that worry me is support of this also one more thing like to add SElinux is disable in this distro i guess so please check as well ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.