Frustration Help

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Leslie Roberts, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm hoping someone out thre can help me.. I have this program on my computer and it's wonderful... ( A little too wonderful)
    I wanted to do a virus scan at Symantic site today but my Active X was disabled.. so it couldn't preform the test.. Also some Web Applets I'd love to see .. I can't.. These are from safe sites where I know its ok.. Because of the lastest security problems I was told to disable my Iframe!.. does this cause interferance with your program...
    Anyhow to make a long storie short..
    I go into my internet options and try to change the settings just temporary so I can see an applet.. and also put my cookies alittle lower.. but the system keeps resetting itself.. Does this have something to do with the program!.. As its new
    yesterday, I switched from DSL to Broadband.. I then downloaded my favorite spybot program and this program.. Before I did that I went to the site that has the applet test.. it worked.. Once I downloaded and enabled this program I wasn't able to see , download or use certain programs I wanted to... Another example.. I wanted to install a plugin filter for my Paintshop Pro program.. but , The filter doesn't work as it says a certain Smgart.dll won't load..
    Anyhow I hope some of this stuff makes sense to someone out there.. I know nothing about computers so less complicated answer ( step by step) would be so appreciated..... I do want to be protected on my system.. but I also would love to be able to work with my graphics programs... See my stationerys I'm creating and others as well .. and would love to download things without my computer being in a froze state... As well I'd love to be able to do the Symantic Virus scan now and then just to make sure I'm ok.. Please help if you could

Thank you Leslie Roberts

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Hi Leslie,

Disabling the ability for web sites to open programs or files in an IFRAME (which *is* a change you should make) will not interfere or impact SpywareBlaster.

You could always try disabling all of the changes SpywareBlaster has made, even if it's just to see if you can make things work again (and you could always easily re-apply the protection).

To temporarily disable the SpywareBlaster changes, you'd want to (1) open SpywareBlaster, (2) click "Deselect All", then (3) click "Remove Protection for Unchecked Items". You will not have to reboot after doing this for the changes to be in effect, but you should close all browser windows and then clear your browser's cache (Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab > Delete Files). Then see which, if any, of the problems you mentioned go away.

I'm not sure why Symantec's ActiveX control would be on SpywareBlaster's list, but you never know... Again, if the steps above make the online virus scan work for you, you'll know what happened (even if you don't know which specific line item in SpywareBlaster is causing the blocking). If the virus scan *still* doesn't work, then you probably have to add the Symantec site to your "Trusted Sites" zone, and then make sure you have ActiveX enabled for that zone. All of this is done in the "Internet Options" Control Panel applet, as you seem to be aware.

I don't think SpywareBlaster would interfere with Paint Shop Pro, but the same steps outlined above will tell you.

There is no way that SpywareBlaster is directly at fault for your system crashing, if that's what you mean by "the system keeps resetting itself" (SpywareBlaster *could* be indirectly responsible). But again, even if the problem is related to SpywareBlaster, disabling its changes will tell you one way or the other.

3. mjc

mjc Registered Member

Why not add the desired sites to your Trusted Zone in IE?

4. nameless

It's possible that SpywareBlaster is blocking the ActiveX control completely--which would override the zone setting.

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I just checked again and SpywareBlaster does not block the CLSID of the Symantec Online Virus Checker. So it sounds like your IE settings may be at fault here. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. nameless

Then, as has been suggested numerous times already, move the site to the "Trusted Sites" zone. Then, with that zone selected in the Internet Options dialog, click the "Default Level" button. Problem solved. Or at least one of them.

7. Green_Zombie

Green_Zombie Guest

Hello! i installed the software today,and i like it.
    I am currently doing some Web Development,and
    am needing IFrame enabled! can i do this for all
    website's? i just need IFrame.Im just curious can
    i just Enable IFrame itself so i dont have to alter
    my browser setting all the time?.

One little side question!
    I created a Registry entry to launch Spywareblaster
    on startup! can i have it stay minimized on startup
    thanks.

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Green_Zombie :)

Welcome to Wilders.

On your second question, it is not necessary to alter your registry as SpywareBlaster is not a running process. No need to keep it minimized either.

More info here,

http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/0/005/article/

Hope this helps.

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.