Frozen Snapshot and Comodo Firewall Free

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ErikAlbert, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would agree. Freeze mode isn't a reason to buy FDISR. It's the other stuff it does that makes it a dream.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

A frozen snapshot is the same as a manual copy/update from archive to snapshot, like you do.
    The only difference is that it happens automatically during reboot.

If I copy/update from a clean archive to a normal on-line snapshot after EACH reboot, that would be the same as using a frozen snapshot.
    Freeze = copy/update and nothing more than that.
    In other words when a frozen snapshot is weak, it means that the copy/update of FDISR is weak.

It's not my fault, that everybody considers a "Frozen Snapshot" as something different from "Copy/Update".

Or all FDISR-users, use better DeepFreeze, because it offers better protection.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  3. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

FWIW, I am using a frozen snapshot with Comodo firewall, albeit on a Win2K machine, and I have no problems with it, have been using the setup for about 3 months now.

4. Peter2150

I was talking about the reason, not the method. I don't think DeepFreeze is necessarily better protection.

What I meant is Deep Freeze can't help with say for example what I had happen last night. Doing a 3 month windows update on my laptop and got a BSOD in the middle. I saw why, but rather then start again at a mixed up and possibly screwed up place, I restored the archive and started over. Can't do THAT with Deep Freeze.

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

The difference though explains why is is slower using FD-ISR freeze than FD-ISR and DeepFreeze 6 or Returnil. If you have a fast modern machine the extra time is minimal. with my old P4 it would take and extra 45 seconds to boot - which may not be important to some users.

6. ErikAlbert

FDISR isn't weak, your HARDWARE is too WEAK to handle FDISR and that's why you better work with DeepFreeze or Returnil.
    I don't have that problem.

I reboot from desktop to desktop in less than 2 minuts and that means :
    normal reboot-time + time for copy/update from "Freeze Storage.arx" to "snapshot" and that cleans my infected or corrupted on-line snapshot.

The Freeze = copy/update from "snapshot" to "Freeze Storage.arx" and the "Freeze Storage.arx" is an existing archive, which is a matter of seconds.

FDISR is only slower in the creation of
    - new snapshots
    - new archives
    - new freeze storage
    - new compressed snapshots
    but those are one-time operations.

DeepFreeze and Returnil do only ONE thing : restore your computer in a healthy state and that's why they work faster on older hardwares.

FDISR does the same thing, but can do alot more than that also. :)

7. ErikAlbert

I work with Anti-Executable on maximum security (except delete prevention) more than 3 months without problems, while other users have problems. Different setups create different problems.
    I don't depend on a firewall or any other security software, I depend on recovery. Any software that causes problems in my recovery solution, goes including security softwares.

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

ErikAlbert I think that AE is conflicting with comodo.
    Since AE take care of the new unknown threats you can try to disable Application behavior Analysis (it is the hips part of comodo firewall) and reboot your pc. This should fix it.

9. ErikAlbert

Thanks, but Comodo Firewall took too much of my freetime and delayed my new installation. Next time better. :)

My new installation caused a faster reboot : 1m52s is now 1m30s. o_O

10. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

The point you keep failing to observe is that Deepfreeze is superior to FD-ISR's Freeze feature, if only for the reason that it works faster on any hardware...not just the older one. On my C2D box, a Deepfreeze config reboots in 46 seconds whereas a frozen FDISR config reboots in 53 sec. This just means that even the most powerful of hardware can't really make up for how the software works.

11. ErikAlbert

I know already that FDISR isn't perfect after running the command "DEL C: /F /S /Q" in the CMD-screen.
    Good test for DeepFreeze as well, if you didn't try it yet. Take a backup first.

12. Long View

13. Long View

Well a lot of things were deleted and a number showed as access denied.
    Then I pushed the reset button and viola - Back in business.

Thanks for a few seconds of excitement. I must admit I did take an Acronis Image first. I must remember this one - it will be quite a party piece -- all those files being destroyed and then back to normal.

14. Peter2150

Be careful at party stuff. I can just see doing this to show off, and then the realization, oops no freeze mode.:D

15. Long View

That was exactly my thought - just after I had pressed enter.

16. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

What do you mean with new installation? Of comodo or of another frozen snapshot?

17. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

18. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Funny, the idiot in me is strangely drawn to try things like this, despite knowing the outcome. Fortunately I keep the idiot on a fairly tight leash, only occasionally does he slip it.

19. ErikAlbert

As long you have a backup, nothing can happen.
    DEL, Killdisk virus, corrupted FDISR, ... are peanuts for ShadowProtect. I'm afraid of other things, like hardware viruses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.