Frozen Snapshot and Comodo Firewall Free

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ErikAlbert, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Anyone tested the Freeze function with Comodo Firewall Free in his snapshot ?

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just tried it out and they seem to get along together fine. Just have to setup the rules correctly before freezing so ya don't have to keep answering the same pop ups.

3. ErikAlbert

OK. Thanks. I try Comodo Firewall Free for awhile, I'm getting tired of Look'n'Stop's "Code" changes and disappearing Serial Number in the Register screen.

4. ErikAlbert

Well, that wasn't really successfull. Installing CF was OK.
    Copy/update from snapshot to archive. Errors = 0. So that was good.

Freeze from snapshot to Freeze Storage. Errors > 10.
    After refreezing. Errors = 0.

5. farmerlee

I forgot to mention that i had 4 errors during the freeze process. It didn't seem to affect anything from what i can see, i just guess the errors are due to my stripped down version of xp.
    I'm surprised LnS keeps doin that, although i've never used it in a fd-isr frozen snapshot, i do use it with deepfreeze and have never had that problem.

6. ErikAlbert

That was exactly, what I wanted to know and you forgot it. :D
    Although it's called "Code" (stupid name) on the Register screen, I think it's an Activation Code, because the "Code" changes when I re-install LnS.
    Once the "Code" changes I can't use the same Serial Number anymore and I have to beg for a new Serial Number.
    So this is again a crippled activation, that doesn't work even when I install LnS on the very same computer.
    That's my 4th activation problem : ShadowProtect, WinXPproSP2, XPLite Pro and Look'n'Stop, just because I'm trying to re-install my very same computer without any hardware changes. Pffft. :rolleyes:

The disappearing serial number is another bug, but harmless.
    I reported both, but the developer couldn't give an explanation.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi guys,

Yes, this setting is causing those errors. If you disable it you will have no problems.

ps. after you perform a first copy/update of the snapshot, you can reenable it and perform another one;it will not give you errors again unless you add/remove internet enabled applications. (I am talking as a comodo mod. and have thorougly tested it ;) )

9. ErikAlbert

NO, that doesn't work for the Freeze function.
    I already did what is mentioned in Acadia's link.
    Copy/update from snapshot to archive worked without errors.
    The Freeze function, which is also a copy/update had more than 10 errors.
    So Comodo Firewall is a pain for FDISR. That is my conclusion after thoroughly testing and I'm not a comodo mod.. ;)

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmm, interesting, I've been using Comodo for some time now and have never had any problems but I do not use FD's Freeze function very often.

acadia

11. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I've used comodo and FDISR now for many months and never had a problem with errors from comodo if you UNCHECK the "protect registry settings." I've made many snapshots error-free with comodo on board. However I've never used comodo in a frozen snapshot. I'll have to try it frozen and see what happens.

12. farmerlee

Yeah i guess it slipped my mind as it didn't cause any noticeable problems.

The latest build of LnS no longer has this issue of the code changing. Rather a specific code is linked with a specific email address. So as long as you enter the same email address the code will remain the same. What build of LnS are you using?

13. ErikAlbert

I'm using version 2.05p2 Oct. 5 2004 according the Welcome Screen of LnS, no build is mentioned.

Regarding Comodo Firewall and freezing.
    The file Freeze Storage.arx (= archive) has in fact two freeze storages : the actual and the previous.
    So the volume of the Freeze Storage.arx = 2 x volume of snapshot.
    It seems to me that the errors occur during the creation of the previous freeze storage.

14. farmerlee

Have you tried the latest LnS version 2.06?

15. pandlouk

Hi Erik,

comodo should not cause problems to FD-ISR frozen snapshot. I used this combination for about a month and it worked fine on my machine.
    Have you tweaked any other settings of comodo (in the advaced section)?
    If you exit/close comodo, and then update your frozen snapshot, do you see again the same errors?

16. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I stopped using freeze because it is just too slow ( boot and reboot) and use Deepfreeze6 or with enough memory Returnil . using these in preference may solve your problems as well.

17. pandlouk

o_O What do you mean enough memory? Returnil consumes less than 20-26mb of ram when is running. It is much lighter in resources from deepfreeze.

18. ErikAlbert

No, I didn't do any tweaking, I hardly know Comodo Firewall, so I work with the default settings, except this one :
    "As a workaround, launch the Comodo application; go to the security tab and select advanced. Under the miscellaneous option, click configure and uncheck the option to "protect own registry keys and files from unauthorized modifications".
    which has been recommended over and over again at this forum, because it created problems during copy/update when this setting was marked.

You tested FDISR + COMODO during a month. Did you really test the Freeze function or did you forget it ?
    Two members "Farmerlee" and "ErikAlbert" had errors during freezing in 24 hours.
    The only difference between Farmerlee and me is, that Farmerlee doesn't seem to care about these errors, I care, because it isn't supposed to happen.

Yes I tried that one too.
    1. First, I unfreezed with complete removal of Freeze Storage.
    2. Then I did an exit on Comodo.
    3. Then I freezed my snapshot again. Errors = 15.
    So Comodo is even a pain, when it is disabled. :rolleyes:

For the record : let's not talking WITHOUT testing it first. Words are empty, tests are not. :)

19. ErikAlbert

I'm not planning to change my recovery setup without properly testing and it has nothing to do with the problem of freezing comodo.
    And of course problems disappear when you change your setup completely, isn't that always the case ? Maybe I will get new problems when I use Returnil.

ShadowProtect's activation was also perfect according StorageCraft until I did my tests. After my tests StorageCraft did already two changes in their activation. Different users, different tests. I prefer to do my own tests. :)

20. pandlouk

Hi ErikAlbert,
    1. I never report something as tested, if I haven't; why should I do something like that? o_O
    2. I did use this combination for 3-4 weeks.
    Check at the application monitor of comodo and see if ISRService.exe is allowed.
    Then go at the advanced settings -> miscellaneous and enable skip loopback (127.x.x.x) TCP Connnections.

ps. can you post the errors, that you see from the FD-ISR log?

21. ErikAlbert

That setting doesn't work either.

Here are the errors :
    18/09/2007 20:53:45 Copying snapshot "WS3 ON-LINE Comodo Firewall" to "Freeze Storage"
    18/09/2007 20:53:46 Starting Open File Technology (RSS) service for drive C:
    18/09/2007 20:53:46 Preparing to copy
    18/09/2007 20:53:57 Copying
    18/09/2007 20:57:46 Error - GWH::CreateFile: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    18/09/2007 20:57:46 Windows error number 32
    18/09/2007 20:57:46 Error - Creating folder "Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Convert\1033" in "Freeze Storage"
    18/09/2007 20:58:12 Error - GWH::CreateFile: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    18/09/2007 20:58:12 Windows error number 32
    18/09/2007 20:58:12 Error - Creating folder "WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB896428\SP2QFE" in "Freeze Storage"
    18/09/2007 20:58:13 Error - GWH::CreateFile: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    18/09/2007 20:58:13 Windows error number 32
    18/09/2007 20:58:13 Error - Creating folder "WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB900485\SP2QFE" in "Freeze Storage"
    18/09/2007 20:58:16 Error - GWH::CreateFile: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    18/09/2007 20:58:16 Windows error number 32
    18/09/2007 20:58:16 Error - Creating folder "WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB911567\SP2QFE" in "Freeze Storage"
    18/09/2007 20:58:16 Error - GWH::CreateFile: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    18/09/2007 20:58:16 Windows error number 32
    18/09/2007 20:58:16 Error - Creating folder "WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB911927\SP2QFE" in "Freeze Storage"
    18/09/2007 20:58:18 Error - GWH::CreateFile: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    18/09/2007 20:58:18 Windows error number 32
    18/09/2007 20:58:18 Error - Creating folder "WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB920670\SP2QFE" in "Freeze Storage"
    18/09/2007 20:58:47 Error - GWH::CreateFile: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    18/09/2007 20:58:47 Windows error number 32
    18/09/2007 20:58:47 Error - Creating folder "WINDOWS\msagent\intl" in "Freeze Storage"
    18/09/2007 20:59:38 Error - GWH::CreateFile: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    18/09/2007 20:59:38 Windows error number 32
    18/09/2007 20:59:38 Error - Creating folder "WINDOWS\system32\MsDtc\Trace" in "Freeze Storage"

18/09/2007 20:59:43 Error - GWH::CreateFile: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    18/09/2007 20:59:43 Windows error number 32
    18/09/2007 20:59:43 Error - Creating folder "WINDOWS\system32\npp" in "Freeze Storage"
    18/09/2007 21:00:01 RunOnce updated
    18/09/2007 21:00:01 Copied 5.80 Gb (50212 files, 4789 dirs); Errors 18; 00:06:15.719

22. Long View

My experience has been the reverse. on an old P4 with only 512 meg of memory
    I have found that certain tasks take longer when Returnil is installed than when DeepFreeze6 is installed. Example - running analysis for Perfect disk takes 20 seconds with DeepFreeze and 30 seconds with Returnil. On other machines with 1 meg and 2 meg of memory Returnil and deepfreeze are about the same.

Anyway -I'm not saying one is better than the other - just observing that one which works thru memory ( Returnil) is slower than one which works via the hard drive -- for me.

Both are much faster than using a Frozen snap shot on my systems.

23. Long View

LOL - I think I know you well enough to guess that you would not just trust what someone else says which is why I carefully used the word "may". If you have the time and try out Returnil of DeepFreeze6 with FD-ISR you "may" find that you like it and you "may" find that you don't. A lot depends upon hardware combinations, system uses etc no guarantees

24. ErikAlbert

I hope you do understand, that I can't change my actual recovery setup in a nick of time.
    My actual immediate recovery setup is based on a frozen on-line snapshot, which means that I reboot constantly in the SAME snapshot and it works.

I'm in the process of re-installing computer and during that install from scratch, I create several images that allow me to test more things in the future and each image can be converted into a FDISR-archive, if that is necessary. So I can do alot more playing than in the past without working too much. I also solved my activation problem for WinXPproSP2 forever and I also found a reasonable solution to AVOID any activation of my other softwares with activation.
    All these images are restored in 35 seconds upto 6 minuts, which depends on the volume and I don't consider 6 minuts as slow for an Image Backup software, like ShadowProtect. Some operations with FDISR last longer than 6 minuts.
    Once my computer is back to normal, I will try to replace my frozen snapshot with a normal snapshot and combine it with softwares like Returnil, ShadowDefender, ... whatever and see what happens.
    If I don't like it, I keep my frozen snapshot.

25. pandlouk

These errors shouldn't be caused by comodo (it does not protect the uninstall folders of microsoft updates). Try to run a chkdsk on your partition. Probably an error in the indexes on mft are to blame.
    Once, I came across with 2 errors like those and I could not fix them. After that I decided to clean the freeze storage and it gave me an error 123 https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=180138

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.