Frozen Mouse

Discussion in 'hardware' started by John Bull, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I occasionally get a frozen mouse. No idea why, it just happens. Maybe the Modem feels like a rest, who knows ? Even gubbins like computers get peed off now and again.

I press the computer power button quickly and Windows shuts down normally. I switch off the blinker. Then I pull out the mains plug and kill the lot for about 30 seconds - more if you like, it does`nt matter, the rest will do it good.

Plug in the mains again, switch on the blinker and press the computer power button. It all starts up normally and the mouse is now OK again.
    Kiss of life eh ?

It works every time.

John B

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

a simple restart or even log off/on doesn't fix the mouse issue?

3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I had the same problem with my Dell E510 and the wireless mouse & keyboard it came with.
    With absolutely no rhyme or reason to it, the mouse would freeze and a reboot would usually provide a fix- until the next time. o_O

I reinstalled the mouse/kb drivers a number of times with no success, then tried a total reinstall of the OS (XP Media center Edition/SP-2).
    No improvement.
    I changed the OS to XP Home/SP-2
    No improvement.
    I changed the OS to XP Pro/SP-2.
    No improvement. The random freezing continued to occur.

I finally found an article explaining that certain Intel OEM motherboards had a known issue with input devices freezing with no warning and no apparent cause.

The fix for me was to purchase a PCI expansion card having four USB ports.
    Installation was as simple as adding RAM.
    Booted up and my computer automatically installed the necessary driver(s). I've had no further instance of keyboard or mouse freezing for over two years.

The PCI card was from Syba and cost about $10.00 making that a seriously good addition for very little expense.

Perhaps your problem has a similar root cause ?

4. John Bull

No a restart does not fix it Cudni, it does`nt happen often, but a power cut is what I have to do. It happened today, which is why I posted.

One of the TV Broadband engineers told me that at times the Modem gets kind of locked, same with the TV cable box and a power cut is the only way to solve it. Even the TV screen instructions tell us to do that to the cable box and a sticker on the Modem says the same.

In the case of the TV box, it is something to do with memory. The Modem, same sort of problem , it goes on the wobble at times and a power cut is the official first step to try. Must act as a RESET.

Both Modem and cable box are upstream of the computer and TV. Obviously if a power cut does not work, they are the next in line for attention.

It seems to work - never failed yet. I do appreciate that some complex electronic circuits do become saturated or locked at times and a power cut resets them back to normal.

John

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  5. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Try connecting the mouse via a back-panel USB plug. For some reason, the front-panel USB connections tend to be less stable, in my experience.

6. John Bull

The Hierophant (V), in some decks named The Pope, is the fifth trump or Major Arcana card in most traditional Tarot decks. It is used in game playing as well as in divination.

Don`t know what the hell that all means. My mouse is connected to the back panel USB. When you have a Modem, you have a piece of gubbins that goes plonk at times and needs a kick-start. That is what the power cut does. Rather like any RESET button does on electrical equipment.

John

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Front or back do not have anything to do with stability. If you are experiencing more in front, it is just a coincidence, or it is because the front is used more often for different devices (requiring loading and unloading of drivers) while the back, being less accessible, is usually plug in and forget.

I suspect this is not a frozen mouse problem at all, but rather a frozen computer problem. Does the keyboard work when the mouse does not?

It would not be the modem since a reboot would kill your browser session.

Have you scanned for malware? Is the interior of the case free of heat trapping dust?

8. culla

culla Registered Member

have you tried another mouse :D

9. John Bull

To clarify.

I realise that a "Frozen Mouse" problem can be complex when a computer, keyboard, monitor and mouse are involved, including dirty fan and location to other power sources etc. There is a vast amount of information on the net about it. A career awaits.

My post was simply to point out that operating with a Modem introduces another factor into the equation and to say what happens in my case.

A Frozen mouse does not occur often with my set up. I can go a long time before it happens. Probably 3-4 times per year.

The first thing to do when using a Modem, is to make that your prime target. Modems do get the wobbles at times, they are not faulty, just doing what many electronic devices do at times and need de-energising. It is a common factor, which is why a RESET switch is always provided with electrical apparatus.

So, my post was to specify what I do first and it has never failed to cure the problem. Restarting the computer does not cure anything, the mouse is still frozen when the screen returns.

The Modem is UPSTREAM of the computer, so a tiny hiccup in that equipment will not be cured by tampering around with the computer set up or by rebooting. To meddle around with the computer side of things without trying a power cut will only result in tears and achieve nothing if it is the Modem at fault.
    A power cut is also a must for the whole set up before suspecting just about everything and taking things apart.

The subject of "Dirt" is covered in the thread "Dust".
    Obviously, no Modem, then have fun.

John B

10. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

I've been using "hierophant" for so many years that it's hardly even a pseuonym anymore. FWIW, it was my little joke on Hell.com -- being the first "significant" name that came to mind which wasn't on their blacklist of email usernames.

Anyway, while we're on the subject, are you really "John Bull"? I've been reading that as the personification of England. If I'm wrong, please accept my apologies, and my congratulations on having a cool name :)

And on the topic of Hell.com, has anyone noticed the photo of Sarah Palin with the title "WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER!"? Any ideas? Could this be tied to the "Dante's Inferno" game?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.