From now all Rising Security Products will be free for personal use

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

There is no EULA or similar on install? Well, if the above is all Rising says about their licensing, then sorry but there is no legal way they could enforce their "license" against non-Chinese users.

2. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

i'm not trying to be a "goody goody" on this. I'm just as likely as anyone to make a pragmatic decision and use some free software inappropriately when faced with a pressing need. But to rationalize that it's not wrong is a step too far.

Say I ask avast! sales if it's okay to use their free product on a computer in a non-profit school with only 3 students. They reply saying no. It doesn't matter what their website or the EULA says, I've got a direct answer.

Two people have reported in this thread discrete communication from Rising saying that the "freemium" policy is only for China. End of story for me. Everyone else can of course make their own choice.

Cheers

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, sorry but it is not really users' problem that they are unable to write a license that would reflect their wishes. Alternatively, they can make the Chinese site inaccessible from China or whatever similar.

4. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

The main problem with this license, Rising themselves have NOT stated on their website or in their products license that this freeware policy only applies to Chinese or China. For the two users who reported communication with Rising, how do we know for sure how accurate their statements are? or if they communicated with the proper representatives? since Rising themselves have said nothing at ALL about this issue on their website or license.

Even if a Rising representative replied to this thread, it wouldn't make much difference until Rising changes the license on their software and website.

Most users don't read forums, they find the links posted all over of the web about Rising products being freeware, they download, install and use. The software continues to run as freeware and even says it is freeware on its license. Most users will never know about this info until Rising does something about it.

Of coarse I don't recommend users to do something wrong or illegal but it is still NOT clearly stated whether this freeware applies only to Chinese or China.

Just because two users here on Wilder's claim they have contacted Rising about this issue really means nothing at all. Don't take offense to this, these users could be completely truthful in their statements but again how would we really know for sure.

I contacted Rising about this issue twice back in March and still haven't received a reply.

Thanks.:D

5. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I am not taking any offence buddy but to make you sure I really contacted one of the rising support staff, attached is the screenshot of the conversation with him.

I too think that till Rising mention in their site or in the licence that Rising is free only in China, using Rising is not illegal from my point of view.

Thanxx
    Naren

~ Private Communications Removed per TOS ~

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

They are doing nothing so far: no ip blocking, no license restrictions, and no product impairment of any kind (heck it even asks you about installing the English version).

7. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Luckily,I know how to read Mandarin,no problem for me.

8. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

I have now received another communication from a senior source at Rising. This is an extract from it:

"Rising Company freemium policy based on China market will not take any
    effect on the global market and; we really do not recommend any media
    suggest users who live out of China to take the software which is designed
    for China market on their computer".

Make of this what you will but their main thrust is two fold.

1. The software available as "free" in China is designed specifically to fight Chinese malware and as such is not recommended for use on machines outside of this threat area. This would maybe explain the low detection rates demonstrated in some tests where predominantly English code was used in the samples.

2. Even if you do decide to do this, you must still pay to use the products (which doesn't make much sense because you can use the international versions instead).

The affected product links on Softpedia have now been corrected after intervention from Rising.

Admittedly you can still pick holes in their strategy and/or website licensing content if your mind is that way inclined. Personally, I believe the possible aggravation and soul searching just isn't worth the effort as there are plenty of other products available for "our" home use (free and paid) which are likely to turn in a better result :)

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The Chinese "Free" version uses the exact same engine and database as the international version (AFAIK). "Designed for Chinese market" means the Mandarin language product.

As previously mentioned, I do not think that legally they can enforce this rule unless it is specifically said in the EULA.

However, I do agree that there are arguably better free products available right now, and hence one would be better off avoiding this whole issue altogether.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  10. doctorlink

doctorlink Registered Member

I must admit, the Chinese AV is pretty good these days. Come on, the world population vs the Chinese population + their pirated PC. They going to need strong AV lol.. I think the AV is pretty experienced, in analyzing threats.:-*

11. khanyash

Rising Free AV 2011 New 1 Hour Test With Zero-Day Malware. Improved a lot. Malwarebytes & Hitman Pro found 0 threats. The test you can check out in youtube.

Thanxx
    Naren

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  12. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Although i'm not by far an expert,Rising Firewall is the best for me...light,non-intrusive(after it learned all my programs and now it's on "Alert me for all apps" ),updates itself every day....and HIPS free :D

13. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

where to download rising firewall from?:)

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Click the bottom link on the first post of this thread.

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I tried the Antivirus for a while, just to disable the AV-component and use the smart HIPS https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1270399&postcount=21

Anyone care to post some updates of the HIPS options? (that was in 2008, so it must be improved even more).

16. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

seeing MajoMo's screenshot: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1851400&postcount=25
    I'm quite interested in the firewall and the trojan defense for 32-bit :D

I just hope the HIPS component has feature like Spyshelter that will allow all microsoft certified to reduce popups :)
    will try it tomorrow... coz I'm gonna get drunk today :)

17. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

THX, it seems a little different now, but bottem system protection :D still looks decent.

19. Extraterrestrial

Extraterrestrial Infrequent Poster

20. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

21. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

22. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Re: Rising Free Firewall

Thanks for the link, but for me there are better choices.:)

23. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

24. khanyash

Previously it was officially free for China only. Now its officially free globally. Rising global website under Rising free utilities the free FW & AV are there. Rising news section also mentions that now it is officially free globally.

I wonder whats the difference between Rising free FW, AV & Rising Paid FW, AV. Coz the versions are same.

Any one can give the info?

Thanxx
    Naren

25. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ Cloud, thanks for the info.

An amazing no-HIPS based firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.