from laptop to laptop

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by multilanguage, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. multilanguage

multilanguage Registered Member

I have used PM a lot to clone disks, this product is different.
    I have to clone the old laptop to the new laptop, ata to sata, I have no adapters. I can clone the old laptop to an external usb drive but how would I get it to the new laptop>?
    Thanks

2. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Plug in the USB drive, boot the new laptop with the Acronis Recovery CD and clone from the USB drive to the laptop drive.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I gather that there are two different laptops involved here. This is not as straight forward as you are hoping especially as they are not identical and have different hardware.
    On the face of it one would have thought an image of the old laptop made to the usb drive and then restored to the second laptop would do the job. Don't forget that a straight clone would blow away all the different drivers need on the new laptop. I think even sysprep run on both machines would not be enough. Unless you have TI workstation and the universal restore software I think you are out of luck.
    If the new laptop has an OS installed already you could of course settle on just copying your settings and data across and installing your applications.

4. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

two diff laptops with diff drivers needed, and a diff registry needed = good luck

you my need TI workstation with the universal restore

5. multilanguage

multilanguage Registered Member

Thanks, the actual cloning part was the part I didn't understand, after the clone is on, the rest is cake.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I would love to know the receipe for your cake[​IMG]

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello multilanguage,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that as Xpilot and Mac25 said above in order to migrate the system to a different hardware we would recommend that you use Acronis Universal Restore plug-in. Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for corporate versions of Acronis True Image. It should be purchased separately and installed from a separate setup file. You can find more information about Acronis Universal Restore on the web page for the respective product on Acronis web site. Also the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis Universal Restore can be found in the User's Guide for the respective product.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. DanielLee

DanielLee Registered Member

I have moved a laptop hard drive (where partition one was restored from an image) to a desktop computer. When I booted up it asked me to show it where the drivers were, I pointed it to the CD that came with the desktop and it loaded the drivers. After that I could switch the hard drive back and forth with no problems. Isn't that the way it always works?

Adios for now,

Daniel Lee

9. MishaAl

MishaAl Registered Member

No, it really depends on your operating system, it's settings and the differences in hardware btwn the computers. It might work flaulessly for some, with errors on other, and completely fail on yet others.
    Unless the computers have relatively same characteristics of cpu and chipsets I would not recommend relying on it - it might seem fine, but the errors can show up later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.