From Brain to Flame, Myths, Facts, and the Future - Part 1: Antivirus Evolution and T

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Dermot7, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

https://www.nsslabs.com/reports/bra...1-antivirus-evolution-and-technology-adoption

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

That´s actually how I ended up in this forum like 10 years ago. :)
    It was clear to me that signature based detection was simply not good enough. So that´s why I became interested in HIPS (behavior blockers).

It´s nice to see that nowadays almost all security suites (like Avast and Kaspersky) come with some form of pro active defense.
    But I do wonder if layman can actually response to all these alerts generated by HIPS. ;)

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Interesting read. AVs have really come a long way since F-Prot and F-Macrow that I first used on DOS and Windows 3.11. Antivirus industry is adapting to new security threats and is by no means "dead".

hqsec

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

AVs will never die, they are still the best choice for users, because HIPS requires user to understand, what it does and not just to allow blindly everything, that popups.

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Now AV industry is going to some sort of proactive defense for dummies when AV automatically decides what is allowed/forbidden on PC. Here detection plays its role as well.

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Nice write-up by Randy Abrams.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.