Friend had Avast go off on a scan saying 3 virues were found but now there is a warn

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cheater87, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Before doing that, would it still be safe to restart my computer? do you think it will let me go back on my desktop?

2. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Do not restart the computer until you know exactly what files are being dealt with here.

You may have a system crash,so before you do anything goto the Avast forums!!!

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Agree. Don't restart it.
    Was this detection the result of a manual scan or an on-access (out-of-the-blue) detection?
    Have you recently updated this computer?

4. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

Don't restart you PC while OEMBIOS.BIN is missing..

5. sooflymami

After I restore that file from the Avast, should i be ok?

6. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Let me tell you this:

If you have files that are not in use and your operating system restarts, you will not be able to post anywhere, anything about the problems you are currently having,period. Your operating system will be possibly corrupted,etc.

So do the right thing,and find out what exactly avast has detected,goto their forums,start researchin this or you'll mess it up to the point of reformating and losing everything.

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

If you want Az7 to email you, you should pm him/her.
    Not too wise to put your email address on a public forum, sooner or later a spambot might find it, then stand by for incoming:eek: ....

8. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

Okay.

9. sooflymami

I just emailed you..did you receive it? And I just restored 1 infected OEMBIOS.BIN file. But I dont know how to upload it on virustotal.com because i dont know how to find that file so i can upload it. what should i do?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  10. sooflymami

I tried posting it on Avast fourm but nobody has responded back to my posts. Is there any other way to find out?

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Their pretty good about replying back on their forums,give them some time.

12. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

It's 4 in the morning in the UK, slightly later than that in Europe, and whatever the time is where you are in the US.
    'Course it's a reasonable time where I am, but you don't seem interested in my advice.
    You should at least move the column headers so that when folk do respond, they know what they are dealing with.
    Screenshots can be attached to the forum post by clicking on "additional options, attachments" on the forum page.

13. sooflymami

i restored the files..clicked restore and then clicked close only. but when i go to the chest, all the 3 files are still there. but it told me it was completed. am i okay? is it restored?

14. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

Yes it is.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s windows asking for windows CD to repair some critical system files that are infected( and possible deleted by virus or avast).

Either put windows CD or there is another way, I don,t remember now. U have to put some command in Run menue and it wil do same job via i386 folder if it,s there on ur PC. Anyone?

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

17. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Re: Friend had Avast go off on a scan saying 3 virues were found but now there is a w

Yes, but you could try a Windows installation CD disk of someone else, since it is a NTFS file repair

Regards Kees

18. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

Re: Friend had Avast go off on a scan saying 3 virues were found but now there is a w

Sure!, but as you can see, the original files are stored in the Avast! chest. so Windows File Protection (WFP) asking for files (already in the chest) and by one mouse click you can bring them back to the system, the Windows CD is not important in this case.

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Understand, but I thought these were infected files

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.