Friend\Foe/Spy/Trojan ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowy, Aug 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

Subject: MaxMem by AnalogX

a memory manager......works well....AN SUDDENLY IT WANTS TO ACT AS A SERVER !!!!!

I've used this lil program for some time without even the slightest incident.........well this morning MexMem was blocked by the firewall......to be specific it was MexMem. exe
    over the years I have used numerous programs by analogX without incident so I don't want to injustly say anything offensive..............my virus scan is up to date...and I also scanned for trojans......computer clean! because the script involded is EXE naturally its not being blocked by script detectors.........I have since this alert blocked MexMem from opening in any manner.......
    so there it is folks.....nothing else to say.......if this is a call-home I will be surely disappointed..........obviously I will un-install MaxMem now.......if the Hunters want to check into this more indept it can be downloaded.....the copy I use is at least a couple of years old.....

snowman

2. Hi Snowman,

If you want a replacement that will not try to get out of the box..thry this one..have had it on a one PC for years and it never will be a problem. I beta tested it.

You can now download it here and preview the screenshots.

It is free.

MemMax 1.1
    http://www.webattack.com/get/memmax.shtml
    Copyright © 2000, Thomas Bladh

http://t-rod.rsn.bth.se/tiberius/

http://t-rod.rsn.bth.se/tiberius/index.php3?page=download

3. snowy

snowy Guest

MyNet

thanks my friend for suggesting a decent replacement.....was just looking over the screen shots but could not locate info on the following......does this program release memory automatically.....or does that need to be done maunally?

at any given time during the day I may have two....three java applet stock tickers streaming.....which uses alot of resources.........in particular I need a program that I can set and forget..........so before downloading and installing I will wait for your reply.........thank you.

snowman

4. snowy

snowy Guest

all day I have been thinking about this call-out incident with MaxMem........wondering why it was never logged before this..........I am really shocked..........an yet can't denie what took place.........obviously there is no reason for a memory manager to act as a server......I even considered that maxmem may be infected.....even thought that this could be a result of me playing around.....but memory managers just don't suddenly want to act as servers....
    analogX has always been on my trusted list.....until now there was any known reason for me to think otherwise.......what would cause a memory manager to have a need to access the internet........never would I have suspected such a thing
    folks this upsets me....mainly because I had high regard for analogX........in fact if this had not happen to me personally I never would have believed it......

snowman

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Snowman - Don't exactly know what you're seeing there, my friend.

About all i can tell you is that - here, anyway - MaxMem isn't trying to go anywhere or do anything (I'm currently back to using L'n'S 2.04 Beta 01 here and MM doesn't show up as ever having tried to connect. It doesn't show up in the 'Application Filtering' tab of programs at all, nor in the logs).

So, let's make sure we have the basics out of the way:

Did you register the program during or after the set-up?

In the Start/Programs MM program listing, there's a pop-up menu that includes listings for both the MM website and a check for program updates - have you ever clicked on either of those? Pete

6. snowy

snowy Guest

Pete

thank you for looking into this Pete.....it really upset me more than I care to say.........never...not ever would I have believed such an incident was possible.
    ok to your questions: No...did not register.....registration not required.
    yes in the past I have clicked on the link to the analogx website............within the past ten days lets say.

have used maxmem for over two years..NEVER had it try an kind of funny business. Have also reformatted numerous times....clean os....always re-installed maxmem from the same "back-up" copy...........this was not a new donwload.
    Pete....Look n Stop would have tagged any "outbound".........of that I am sure.......so how about this......I will install a brand new download of Maxmem an monitor it.......one incident in two years sames odd..strange.......an I am more than wanting to clear this up so will go that extra ten miles...if need be monitor with a sniffer............besides that..I have used numerous programs by analogX....imo analogX is very trustworthy..therefore I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.................one incident from the same program in two years makes no sense......so......
    thanks again Pete......I'll get back to you on this if even the slightest incident happens......otherwise if nothing else shows up I'll drop the matter......

snowman

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Snowman,

Couldn't it be some sort of a hick-up (or how do you call that in the right English words?) of your OS?

Just as an example:
    Sometimes (surely not very often) ZA has notified me in the past that a program like for example a little card-game wanted outbound access; well of course I said No. But on occasion I think it was more a "hick-up" than it actually tried to get outbound access out of itself.
    Just some thoughts, no more than that. ;)

I'm with you with respect to trusting AnalogX !
    I myself use CookieWall from it, and I like it!

8. snowy

snowy Guest

Hi Friend Jan

re-installed maxmen....haven't used but once..briefly since then........analogX has provided some super nice free programs......I fully trust them.........an the program in question was in use for two years without incident....as you said perhaps a hiccup........no I don't suspect the program itself.........but always I stay alert to trojans taking over innocent programs.....Jan its getting terrible these days...I am ready to give up the internet....no joking.
    thank you for the reply....wishing as always the very best......unfortunately my mood has been somewhat foul the past few days......was hammered real hard...trying to remain cool headed...

snowman

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey Snowman,

Hang in there, don't give up !

Take a little break (if possible), and make one of your beloved trips through the woods, watch those deers; well, you know what I mean...

I myself had some bad days.....
    Some really good friends of the board made me feel better again! That's where we're here for: to help eachother ;)

Your friend, Jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.