Fresh install of OS X 10.10 Yosemite breaks HFS+ driver

Discussion in 'HFS for Windows' started by Hsi, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Hsi

Hsi Registered Member

There is something about OS X 10.10 Yosemite that causes this driver to fail. The bootcamp partition must be created under Mavericks or the driver will not work.

Note: When the driver works it automatically assigns a drive letter to the OS X partition. When it doesn't work it does not assign a drive letter and the option to assign a drive letter in disk management is grayed out.

I have tested a number of different combinations trying to get this to work. For my testing I tested Windows 7 Professional x64, Windows 8.1 Pro x64, and Windows 10 Technical Preview x64. They either all worked or all didn't work. Here are some of the combinations I tried:

1) Fresh install OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks. Install Bootcamp. WORKS
    2) Upgrade Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite leaving Bootcamp unchanged. WORKS.
    3) Fresh install of Mavericks. Upgrade Mavericks to Yosemite, then install bootcamp post-upgrade. DOES NOT WORK.
    3) Fresh install of Yosemite. Install Bootcamp. DOES NOT WORK.
    4) Fresh install of Yosemite. Install Bootcamp using bootcamp disks created under Mavericks. DOES NOT WORK.
    5) Install Mavericks. Create bootcamp. Fresh install (not upgrade) of Yosemite onto OS X partition. WORKS (!!!)

The one combination I could not get working (the one I want) is Yosemite and Bootcamp using latest Yosemite Bootcamp drivers. So is it Yosemite's bootcamp drivers that breaks the HFS+ driver, or is something about Yosemite itself that breaks the driver. Either way please look into a fix.

2. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

Thank you for your report.
    Please provide your hardware version details and "diskutil list" command output. This information would help us to analyze the issue.

3. Hsi

Hsi Registered Member

Unfortunately I don't time to mess with this any longer. I have to get this sucker up and running before I go on the road in less than 48 hours and I have a ton of software to get loaded on before then.

Bottom line: Create the bootcamp partition using Mavericks and the driver will work fine even post upgrade. Create the bootcamp partition using Yosemite after a fresh install (not upgrade) and the driver breaks. Note I used the *same* bootcamp usb disk created using Yosemite's bootcamp assistant for all testing. Didn't make a difference. What did make a difference was the version of OS X (and by extension bootcamp assistant and diskutil) and whether it was a fresh install or upgrade of OS X.

4. Fabio Luis

Fabio Luis Registered Member

As it turns out, the issue is with Core Storage, first introduced with OS X Lion.
    Yosemite uses Core Storage as a default now, and Boot Camp drivers don't support CS as of yet.
    Question is: Will Paragon support it in the near future, and will there be an update for the software so we can actually see the Macintosh HD in the near future?

5. Hsi

Hsi Registered Member

I knew someone more clever than I am would figure it out. I'm just a poor PC guy floundering in Mac land.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.