fresh download manager\\CAUTION

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowman, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman

snowman Guest

*Follow-up Report *

in an attempt to locate any other possible reasons for the results I experience with FDM..........I download and installed DLEXPERT.

in the past I used DLEXPERT without any problems.....well not so this time.........this time there was nothing on the options screen shot.....blank!
    .........I did not get as far as actually trying to DL a program......because I could not see the options to set them....LOl

so folks I would say that the problems I am experiencing has some relationship to my security setting or a security program.....these are outragous results I am experincing.....an FDM and DLE may not be at all related..........

I'll leave it at this unless I can find otherwise.....I did not want to report erronously on a program if not fully justified.......so am posting this.

snowman

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

keep us posted. I am interested in hearing the outcome of this.

PS in the new millennia we call em  " a snowperson or snowpeople"  ;)

3. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

I too have FDM 3.50 !
                                            Here are a couple of entries that Ad-Aware 5.81 picked up. When I deleted them, guess what...FDM wouldn't initialize while trying to download some software. (FDM is set as default download mgr).  Here are the entries I deleted....

Started registry scan
    ======================
    Timesink key:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\flexactive.flexactive\
    Timesink key:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\interface\{1dc1fa5d-773d-11d3-9f9f-006097a7311b}\
    Timesink key:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\interface\{572a659c-37c9-11d4-b552-00c04f797b69}\
    Other key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\acceleration software international corporation\
    Alexa key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\internet explorer\extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}\

When I re-installed the entries from the Ad-Aware backup and restarted my browser, FDM worked again !!
    Snowman...your right....maybe worth checking into !!
    Well...what do  ya'l think ??
    BTW....SBSD didn't pick up the above entries !!

bill   :mad:

4. snowman

snowman Guest

WOW!!   thats quite a find Bill.......I never thought to scan with adaware.......

I am at a lost for words....ok..how about we be extra fair and double certain.....can anyone else verify Bill's findings?     as he said this bears checking BIGTIME!!

BillMac thank you for sharing your "find"....I'll monitor this thread to see what results.

snowman

5. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I just scanned with Ad-aware and found nothing.  I'm using FDM 3.75.  I'm now severely confused.

6. snowman

snowman Guest

Checkout

yes confusing indeed.........an yet if there is an answer it will be revealed......the alexa Bill mentions could have come from IE.....but not the Timesink....

I would have to change a zillion security settings to test this further.....an that would prevent me from using my computer for business......

no doubt others will look into this...lets see what happens

snowman

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Reading and following this one, but since I've yet to d/l anything that would have needed any kind of a manager, I've never used any.

The only point of caution I can see, as re the AA results (either way) - AA has to be the latest program version, latest reflist and latest 'updater' version before you can really depend on the results you get.

It will be interesting to see what developes here. Pete

8. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I have been using FDM since version 3.0 and currently use version 3.75.  Ad-Aware has never found anything (I ran Ad-Aware again to be sure) to do with FDM on my machine.

Curious indeed!!!!!!!!  o_O

Regards,
    Kent

9. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

ODD...
              Snowman and I are the only ones seeing something suspicious in FDM !!
     Well, hopefully it IS just a false alarm or isolated incidents !!
       BTW... I'm using the very latest version of AD-AWARE !!                  bill    ;)

10. snowman

snowman Guest

BillMac

odd yes.......an yet there has to be an answer...an in time it will reveal itself......

want to again thank you for sharing your results....have a good day my friend.

snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.