Freezing

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by WWS, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWS

WWS Registered Member

Have Windows 7

About every 3rd or 4th time I enable Returnil, the progress bar travels about half way and freezes.
    C+A+D won't work in this freeze, so I have to force a reboot, then Returnil will enable normally.

Is a reinstallation called for?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi WWS,
    Please answer the following:

1. Is this consistent or does it happen randomly? IOW, EVERY 3 or 4 times you turn on System Safe, the RVS GUI freezes or appears to freeze.

2. Does the RVS GUI actually freeze, or does the slider appear to stop? If the latter, does it clear if you let the program run for a while?

3. What other programs are you using at the same time?

Mike

3. WWS

WWS Registered Member

I most always check my mail after booting up. After that I enable Returnil.

4. Coldmoon

Please try an experiment for me to be sure it is a freeze. When this happens, walk away from the computer for a while and see if it clears. 3 or 4 minutes are a long time for most things, but if there is something interfering or delaying RVS's ability to enter a virtual mode, this may not be a freeze and the attempt may reveal more information to help us narrow down the cause.

Another useful test here would be to run Microsoft/Sysinternals' Debug View when you attempt to activate System Safe in RVS (Open DBV with admin privileges, select all capture options, and then attempt to turn on RVS System Safe). If there is no freeze, simply close DBV, if there is a freeze, export the DBV log and send it to us (support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com) along with the usual logs (rvs3, rvs3-inst, and MSINFO32) so the team can test this more extensively in the lab.

Mike

5. WWS

WWS Registered Member

I've waited about 10 minutes and nothing moved, not even the mouse pointer or the time clock. Then one time as I was enabling Returnil I noticed my AV icon in the system tray was animated. Drifted my mouse pointer on it and it said it was updating virus definitions. And sure enough Returninl froze.
    So for the last week I kept my eye on the AV icon and waited for the AV updating to stop and then enabled Returnil and it hasn't frozen since.
    I guess that's it.
    Thanks for your help.

6. Coldmoon

That shouldn't happen. What AV are you using and what are your system specs (CPU, RAM, HDD)?

Thanks
    Mike

7. WWS

WWS Registered Member

AV is NOD32
    CPU is 2.8 GHz Athlon
    RAM is 2 G
    HDD is a Western 160 SATA

It's been about 8 days now and no freeze ups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.