Freezes when accessing folder tree dropdowns

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Wade2st, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wade2st

Wade2st Registered Member

CPU: Phenom 8450 Triple Core 2.1 GHz
    RAM: 2GB

So on my Taskbar, I have a shortcut to a folder stored in my start menu that has shortcuts to all my applications. One of the subfolders is named "Media" . When I hover my mouse over media, stuff freezes. Note this freeze is only temporary (1-2 minutes) and may not occur for a very long time even if i repeat the mouse hover over Media. The definition of "long time" has yet to be fixed as I have yet to do test where I try this menu again during the same logged in session after several hours.

Tree structure
    Apps
    >> AHK
    >> Games
    >> Media
    >> shortcuts to various programs located in c:\program files\...

Stuff that freezes:

Process Explorer cpu updates from the main PE window.

Process Explorer cpu updates from the system tray icon by the clock.

Task bar updates in general ie, the Apps drop down menu tree I clicked on will remain even if I click on the desktop.​

Everything else is fine though I forgot the outcome if I tried the start menu, but none of the system tray icons were accessible. And I do not remember if I could click on task bar window tabs.

Now while this is all iced over, I'm free and welcome to keep using Firefox, but I think even the desktop is immobilized so I have virtually no way to access the C dir unless I use firefox :p. Also while this freeze is up, nothing can overlap the drop down menus so I can only see part of the Firefox browser window that is not covered.

One more thing.

This problem did not occur with the 2nd to last version of NOD32. Also I have tested it on other folder drop downs in start >> programs and have found similar freezes.

Similar freezes:
    Start menu >> programs
    >> URLSnooper
    >> mp3gain
    >> imgburn​

Though these freezes are shorter. What do I do? I love this program to death and I'm not dropping it. I did do a custom scan of the apps\media folder specifically and there were no failed scans as another post around here suggested I do that.

FYI: I have 15 shortcuts in the media folder, is that my problem that it's having to run all over the harddrive to check out the .exes?

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Does the Media folder contain links to movies or just to programs which access them?

If the former, than I am wondering if it might be a problem with a preview handler. I found a message thread here in a message thread discussing a similar issue--the second post in the thread explains how to disable the preview handler in Microsoft Windows XP to get around the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Wade2st

Wade2st Registered Member

Nope. It's just a list of shortcuts to programs. I can post a quick printscreen of them. Oddly enough, right before I checked here for updates, I tested the media folder and there was no lag, but I hadn't check it before for this session. And there I just checked my other start menu options and no problem there either.

Maybe ESET heard my post . . . Well I have to admit that recently I got a ton of updates from Microsoft. I'm pretty distrusting of updates, but recently NOD32 advised me I could be at risks because I didn't have the most recent updates. I had a whole stack of updates I wasn't getting since February.

And now I'm at a quandary as to whether or not I should kill updates again. At least maybe put it on download by itself and I'll choose when to update so it doesn't autorestart me.

I'm just going to set it to tell me when there are updates since I don't like my bandwidth being attacked at random.

Thanks for dropping by to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.