Freewaregenius.com list of top 30 freeware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MrBrian, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Looks like every other top 30, top 100, best freeware, etc lists.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Pretty much, and like every other "top list", subject to opinion. I've never even heard of a lot of stuff on that list, myself. One thing I didn't like was the inclusion of a program the author even admits is adware. That kind of suggestion should be avoided period, no matter how good the program might be.

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I found it quite funny that the author referred to "Threatfire" as a "anti-spyware"

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, if you wanted to put it in very simple terms, it COULD be considered as such. After all, it is a behavior blocker that blocks bad behavior. Malware does behave badly and...well, you get my point, hehe. It's a whole lot more complicated than just "antispyware", but, whatever I guess.

6. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

This was one of the better lists I've seen. I was glad to see Everything, FileMenu Tools and Q-Dir recommended because they don't often make it to these lists. Revo, WinSCP, CCleaner and DVDFlick are also solid freeware choices for most users. OpenOffice.org is no doubt the best alternative to MS Office.

3- I use KeePass instead of LastPass (not sure which is better).

5- I'd recommend BurnAware Free over Imgburn, although I have both installed. Imgburn is more powerful, but also more complicated to use; BurnAware covers 95% of my burning needs and has a super simple user-interface.

10- I prefer 7-zip over PeaZip.

12- I'd recommend FastCopy over SuperCopier, although each has its advantages so maybe the latter is better for most people.

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I agree most of these lists are similar but on this one, I was interested in a new one to me, Partition Wizard. It looks like the Easeus Partition Manager. But Partition Wizard works from a bootable CD and also works with 64-bit systems. Seems to be getting good reviews and the interface is pretty decent. It's definitely one I'll keep in the 'ole tool bag...

8. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Why should anyone be interested in, let alone guided by, a 'top 30' list of programs some anonymous little ego 'cannot live without'?

There are established, community-driven sites such as

http://www.portablefreeware.com/

that I prefer over dubious 'top this' or 'top that' sources at anytime.

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have found many useful applications from that website spanning a few years now. It is a great place to find nice freeware that you might not have known about. Fairly objective reviews with what I consider to be mostly common sense approach to why it is good or not so good. I stop by from time to time to see if anything new has been added.

Sul.

10. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Because when you as a computer enthusiast read a list like that, you probably recognize maybe 30-70% of the applications based on personal experience or established reputation, so you get a pretty good sense of whether the list is good or crap. If it's good, you may then be tempted to click on a few of the links for apps you hadn't heard about before but that sounded interesting from the short description.

For example, I decided to downloaded #4 Dexpot to try it out. I also made a mental note to compare #3 LastPass and #8 Mikogo to KeePass and TeamViewer, respectively, as those are my current alternatives. I also downloaded KMPlayer. I have had it installed before and liked very much, but dropped it because I thought VLC Player was enough. Recently I've had a few minor issues with the latest VLC builds so the list just gave me a friendly reminder to bring back KMPlayer. (I also use GOM Player, Zoom Player Standard and Media Player Classic ...) 18# Partition Wizard also peaked my curiosity, but I decided to hold off because you need upgrade to the Pro edition to get all the features working, and because I'm pretty much set with Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 (although considering an upgrade to v11), and also because many similar programs have come out recently.

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Exactly. I would personally rather browse a site like this that is smaller but reviews decent software rather than a huge site that I have to search through many useless applications to find the good ones. They aren't all good of course, but what the author tends to appreciate agrees with my tastes quite often.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.