Freeware Snapshot Programs?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheMozart, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

2. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Very good advice,i always have a Paragon backup image before installing CTM.

3. burebista

burebista Registered Member

No official reason.
    Comodo Backup is another product.

4. Nozavi

Nozavi Registered Member

5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

For quick registry backups the good old ERUNT is still best: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/index.htm

It's compatible with Windows 7 including the 64-bit editions.

The reason why it's so good is that even if you cannot boot into windows because of BSOD or something, you can still restore registry backups from Windows Safe Mode or from any Windows or DOS based environment.

For MBR backups I use mostly MbrFix. It's a command line tool so you probably need to write a batch file to use it quickly and repeatedly, but if that's within your skill level then it's an excellent tool. There are other tools like Bootice that offer a nice GUI for creating backups of the MBR and PBR, but command line tools tend to be quicker for repeated use once you've configured your commands for them.

If you know which files or directories to copy, then I also assume there are command line tools that can use Windows VSS service to do that quickly and efficiently, but I haven't used them.

I keep my OS drive (C: in my case), relatively small so that making full backup images of it is relatively quick. (I keep music, video and other data, and installations of big programs on a separate partition). Some programs like Acronis Backup & Recovery, Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect (non-free version) can also make fast incremental backups (and the first one has excellent command line support), but I don't know of any free imaging software that are able to do the same. Personally I'm also about to upgrade to a SSD drive so hopefully the imaging process (SSD to SSD) will become very quick.

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

But making an Image of hard drive, then restoring the image, will that help 100% get rid of CTM from boot sectore/MBR etc?

How can Keriver take 6-7 minutes to restore? Taking an image with Keriver on my system takes over 40minutes.

If you restore an Paragon image, does it completely remove CTM from bootsectors/MBR?

And does Hybernate work with CTM, because when I installed Keriver , Hybernate stopped working and everytime I turn on my laptop, now it does a complete boot and Hybernate doesn't work. Why is that?

BTW, thanks pajenn for your post.:thumb:

Looks like an imaging program, not a snapshot program.

7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Sorry...I don't know how...but it's realy true on my XP SP3...I wrote earlier in other thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2049354&postcount=5
    Maybe Keriver like me more than you? :p

9. JoeBlack40

Of course,first of all I uninstall CTM and after that i restore the Paragon image.I've done this way hundreds of times without any problems.And yes,the MBR is "CTM free".
    About hybernate i don't know,i have it disabled,sorry.
    You can download it from here http://forums.comodo.com/news-annou...78-released-t59641.0.html;msg418550#msg418550

Attached Files:

10. JoeBlack40

11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Thanks Joe.

12. JoeBlack40

Anytime.Let us know how CTM works for you.

13. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear TheMozart,

You have to know how to do imaging with Comodo Time Machine and Rollback Rx.

If installed, then it is is better to do HOT (within Windows) imaging. If you want to do COLD (outside Windows), then you have to do sector by sector imaging, which will take a lot longer time, as it will also image the unused space.

Sometimes people uninstall, do defrag, do imaging and then reinstall.

Also, you need to turn off defrag and system protection (restores) within Windows.

Best regards,

KOR!

14. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

It didn't work at all. 2.8 refused to install and 2.9Beta didn't load after reboot so I had to uninstall.

And in addition CTM turned off system restore and now I am unable to turn it back on, it's all ghosted:(

Have to do a complete image restore.

15. JoeBlack40

Sorry to hear that.No offense,but prior to an "unknown" software installation,you have to do some research first to avoid as much as possible unpleasant surprises.I mean that it's a known fact that this type of ISRs are disabling system restore by themselves if it's not disabled already.King of Rapture's advices are very welcome for new users and they should be followed.Now,about the install failure of CTM,what kind of imaging,backup and restoring software do you have installed?

16. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Paragon Compact Edition. That's it.

17. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yes there is a shortcoming, windows system restore doesn't clean up C:\Programs etc and leaves a lot of files behind.

18. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

They are imaging programs, right? Not snapshot programs?

They do a COMPLETE hard drive image, and not just snapshots, right?

19. hey it could be useful to others and are free. nobody's perfect for sure not me :oops:

20. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I really appreciate your comments general_zerohour, and thank you for trying to be helpful, and thank you for those programs you listed, they are worthy of consideration in doing image backups. :) :thumb:

21. JoeBlack40

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

23. JoeBlack40

You are not a comodo forum member,that's why,but not an issue.The attachment you don't see is a screenshot.But read the posts and see if you can recognize your problem.

Attached Files:

24. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

No my CTM error was different. Both 2.8 and 2.9 had problems.

Let's see how 3.0 will go, when it comes out, probably in December 2012 or early 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.