Freeware Sandboxie Alternative?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TheMozart, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I know nothing about it.Sorry

2. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

If I wasn't using sandboxie paid, Next in line would be GesWall for sure.
    Yes it hasn't been updated for a long time, but you have to remember these aren't anti-viruses that need constant signature updates.. Effectiveness has obviously reduced.. but not as much as you might think. Pair Geswall up with an AV like avast and you have a nice setup.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Geswall is 32 bit only.

4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

When using GesWall some websites with links, when I press on the links, nothing happens. Do you know why GesWall causes that to happen and is there a solution? As soon as I uninstalled GesWall, the webpage links worked normally again.

5. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

You could check the geswall logs, It should mention something if it's blocking the links. I've never had the problem my self.

6. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Thank you, Bo.

They have. But as far as I see, only in German:
    http://www.bitdisk.de/bitdisk_free.html
    (scrolling to the end of the page)

7. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Something is definately wrong with your software,because GeSWall,both on my XP PC and on another relatives Windows 7 PC,have "0" issues with GeSWall.

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

LOL :argh: Any German here that can translate that page for us?:blink:

What does Schutzmethode mean? :p

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Schutzmethode = Protection Method

Courtesy of the Google translation service. ;)

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

@ The Mozart, with such a nickname you could have fooled me, not reading GeSWall logs ("The") nor reading German ("Mozart"), so I have two tips

1. When you go to Vienna (as a Mozart fan) be carefull with the "Ich bin ein Wiener".

2. Reformat and re-install, there is definitely something wrong with your setup

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

LOL, good one ;)

12. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

GesWall should not block webpage links out of the box. Uninstall and keep looking.:thumbd:

13. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Yes, I would trust the program and it is a very good program.

Here is where this program is discussed in detail:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=322559

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. The developer of the program is participating in the above thread.

14. Kees1958

When GeSWall does not block webpage links out of the box for most users, there is something extraordinary in your hardware or software which makes you the price winner of this rare behaviour. Besides GesWall, you seem to have problems with Sandboxie, Paragon, Media Center disconnecting, etc, so this might be a hint that your software setup is causing this odd behaviour?

Think about the odds one has that all these things come together. You are free to keep looking, understand me correctly, but are you looking in the right direction?

15. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

1. I did have a problem with Paragon FREE yes, but once I got Paragon COMPACT EDITION, it works flawlessly :thumb:

2. Sandboxie works fine for me most of the time, it's just when I start opening 10+ webpages with videos running and loading in all of the, that SB has on occasion crashed my entire W7. Besides that, W7 has NEVER crashed on me.

3. Media Centre works fine under W7 and connected to my NEW 4GB Slim Xbox 360 now. But I ended up bying a HDMI cable and connected my laptop to Xbox so I no longer need to use MC.

4. GesWall blocks a webpage link on my ISP website that checks the speed of download. When I click on the link it downloads a test file to check speed performance. But when GW is installed, clicking on the link doesn't begin downloading the file. Does anyone know what is solution?

16. Dark Shadow

Geswall runs your browser untrusted and will run a application isolated you may have to run it unIsolated for a application to work correctly. Trust or unisolate it and your download link should work.

17. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

That defeats the purpose of GesWall in the first place. I want GesWall to protect IE when surfing.

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have been away for awhile. This is a quick check to see what was up here. This is an interesting thread.

@TheMozart

It sounds to me like you should continue with Sandboxie. I have opened up much more than 10 tabs at a time, all youtube or other video feed. For me, sometimes chrome will stop working (flash), but I have yet to see the issue you describe, in a few years now using it. I am not saying you don't have an issue, just that the problem is not, IMHO, inherent to SBIE, but rather something else (as Kees and others elude to).

As a heavy tweaker myself, I would be reluctant to think that my system/configuration was the problem. However, after reading this thread through a couple times, I simply don't see how it can be anything but something other than SBIE. Putting my fanboy love-affair with SBIE aside, there are many possible reasons why it would do this. The hard part is sleuthing them down.

It sounds like "most" of the possible freeware alternatives to SBIE are just not what you are looking for. I would suggest perhaps some more knowledge might be in order to further adjust SBIE settings, maybe you will find the solution that way. IMO most people who use SBIE use only a moderate amount of the options that are available. Nothing wrong with that mind you, just saying that you might find there are options yet available that could rectify the situation.

Also, I would bet that if you were to stick another HDD in that machine, install win7, install SBIE, you would not see the issue. I believe it to be software/setting related, not hardware or SBIE. That is based on my own experience ;)

Sul.

19. Dark Shadow

Of course when surfing but you said your ISP download link checks speed.If it checks your speed as unisolated and then connects to the web as trusted, then I see your point.

20. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I have uninstalled SB and reinstalled it. Let's see if that helps, because after all the trials and testing and feedback from others, I think SB is the best to use for safe browsing. All the other recommendations didn't perform too well for me and all had some problems.

21. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

WinJail Sounds intresting, enyone tried it?

-http://www.winquota.com/wj/index.html-

22. Kees1958

Check the GeSWall log, add a file ALLOW rule for the directory to which access is denied. Ich bin kein Wiener :D

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

You been watching too much Hogans Heroes? :argh:

24. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Why the heck you would want to open 10+ windows which playing videos in the first place?o_O

25. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

None of them seem as configurable but you could try CIS, which offers a sandbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.