Freeware Sandboxie Alternative?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TheMozart, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Whenever I run Sandboxie with 10+ windows open, my Windows 7 freezes up. Never happens, only when running Sandboxie and heaps of windows open which playing videos.

So is there a more stable program similar to sandboxie?

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Bufferzone, but trust me. Sandboxie is much more light and stable than that. (I don't know about the version 4 though). I suggest you post your problems at Sandboxie forums and tzuk will help you out.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Freeware Sandboxie Alternative?- Sandboxie free from sandboxie.com of course. ;)

You should really post your problems as skudo said. There is no alternative to sbie that I can think of.

4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Please remain focused on topic guys/gals. I did not ask for a fix for Sandboxie, I am asking about Sandboxie ALTERNATIVES! I don't want to message tzuk because from past experience with him, he gets very defensive and goes into denial when I have asked him about issues in the past!

So stay on topic please everyone.... any Freeware Sandboxie Alternatives?

I tried Geswall but found it to be slow and buggy and wouldn't even open some of the webpages links. So anything else worth trying?

5. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

If you want an alternative, then I would suggest what skudo12 posted.

Bufferzone Pro - 100% FREE http://trustware.com/

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Ty :) I will try it now.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

More stable, better and safer than SBIE :cool:, I doubt it.

I recommend you keep using SBIE but this programs do application virtualization.

-http://www.cameyo.com/-
    -http://www.evalaze.de/-

Bo

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I removed Bufferzone, it stuffed up my browser Quickflix ability for some reason.

Back to the drawingboard.

So Bo, you recommend keep Sandboxie and if I want to test out a new program, use cameyo? But it's rather old now, hasn't been any updates since November 4th, 2011.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  9. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

It doesn't sound so much like instability. You aren't really meant to run heaps of windows in Sandboxie running video players at the same time. It sounds more like you're locking up your system and seemingly intentionally too. As for alternatives to Sandboxie there's only one equivalent program that's lighter and that's Geswall. Bufferzone is way heavier and as for files appearing on the C drive that's one of its secret delights: it fills the drive with empty files. The only setup I can think of that might allow you to do what you're after would be to run multiple versions of Chrome simultaneously and set Sandboxie to only isolate the downloads/temporary files/cache folders. You would then be relying on a combination of sandboxing technologies; as Chrome's sandbox doesn't virtualise the contents and only lowers the rights of the browser windows using Windows' rights restriction processes it has a lower system imprint.

10. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Absolutely not my experience - some years ago I had some config issues and Tzuk went far beyond what I would expect in helping and solving the issue

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Solutions
    1. Read the log of GeSWall and allow what is blocked (difficult approach)

2. Use a disk based virtualisation program in stead of application virtualisation when doing a lot of multi tasking (easy approach)

12. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Just being curious, what's the multitasking you do when having heaps of videos playing at the same time?

13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What do you mean?:blink:

14. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Video websites, loading 10+ windows at the same time and starting all the videos at the same time, as they all take time to load before I can watch them. SB cannot handle it obviously, and freaks out and freezes W7.

15. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Of course it will be slow with 10 videos loading in the background. Unless you have a top of the class CPU, may I ask what is the specs of your computer?
    What Kees means is using Returnil, Shadow Defender, Deep Freeze, etc. I am using Returnil and Sandboxie and doesn't have any problems.

16. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

17. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

You can give shadow defender a try. Its light, effective and easy to use. There is no slow down with multiple windows and no lag while opening browsers. You can add something like an anti-exe to take care of anything that may run while being in shadowmode.

18. bo elam

No, I recommend you keep using SBIE for everyday use, for security. Myself, for trying programs sometimes I use SBIE but most of the time I use WTF. It works great for that. So, use something like WTF or Returnil in addition to Sandboxie. Thats what I would do if I was you.

Sandboxie can handle 10 Youtube pages open at the same time. Normally I have one or two tabs open but when I search for something, I usually have many open at the same time and its usually OK. Thats what I do whether I am browsing regular sites or Youtube.

Bo

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Returnil Free
    Bitdisk Free
    Toolwiztimefreeze Free

20. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

What is WTF?? o_O

21. bo elam

Wondershare Time Freeze.

-http://www.wondershare.com/pro/time-freeze.html-

Bo

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So you regularly open 10+ windows and allowing the videos to load in the background on all the windows? Yes or No?

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What can't Returnil Free do that the paid version can?

Toolwiztimefreeze Free cannot do programs that need W7 to be rebooted :thumbd:

And Bitdisk Free, on their website says, "BitDisk ist ein Programm zum Schutz der Festplatte von vorsätzlichen oder versehentlichen Veränderungen". How am I supposed to understand that garbble? Can it be trusted? It seems dodgy. :ninja: On Softpedia they only have a paid version and not the free version.

24. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Is this what you where looking for in English perhaps. www.bitdisk.de/en/ If you scroll to the bottom to Diskbit users, I wonder if we get a bucket of chicken from KFC if we use it.:D

25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Would you trust this program?

And does it restore your PC at every single boot, no matter what? If so, how do you keep changes? I dont think the freeware version can do it? I think the freeware version is very crippled and not worthy of installing?

They don't have a COMPARISON chart between the BitDisk 7 FREE and BitDisk 7, so it's impossible to know what the FREE version can do, and cannot do.

And there doesn't exist a single review on youtube either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.