freeware sandboxes

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by iceni60, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i wanted to ask which free sandboxes you've had experience with and which you think would be best for a slow, old system with xp home? the ones im thinking of trying are
    • systemsaftymonitor
    • abstrusion protector
    • pc internet patrol
    • prevx
    when i last tried systemsaftymonitor it caused buffer overflow and made my computer shut down. do you know if the new beta has solved this problem? any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appriecated :) thanks.

2. SuperGeek

SuperGeek Guest

I'm just curious did you try to enable the plug-ins in SSM? Because when i do this it freezes my computer (using SSM version 1.9.4 beta 1). So i just use the application firewall feature in SSM and don't use any of the plug-ins and it works just fine. You don't have to enable the plug-ins. If you need reg protection you could also use Regprot (also free :) ) instead of the SSM plug-ins.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i dont think so, but i dont know. it was awhile ago during this thread. i hadnt even finished setting it up, so i didnt become very familiar with the program, thats why i cant answer. however, it was the version which was out at the time of the thread. is your version a newer one?

4. SuperGeek

SuperGeek Guest

I think i have the last released version (1.9.4 beta 1) besides the totally newly designed beta version that is now being tested. But i have had v 1.9.4 for a while now so i can't be absolutely sure. I had this same version at the time you started that thread and before that time. When i check the properties on the SSM file it says March 10th 2004, so that's when i first installed that version on my computer.

It's sorta weird that snapfiles.com still has the old 1.89 version. I guess they're really slow on updating some things over there. I can't even find v 1.9.4 anymore except on some Russian sites and i would never download it from some site i don't know anything about.

But the newer version, now still be tested, will be a better version anyway, but i have not yet tested it myself and don't know if it would work good on older slower system. Perhaps you could contact the author with any concerns you may have.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i might do that, or i think theres a thread here somewhere which the author started that i could find. it would be my first pick as, from what little i know, it seems to be the closest to PG full version there is, which is free. what-ever, as im 99% sure, at this time, that im going to do a reinstall i'll probably give it a try before-hand to see how it goes.

6. SuperGeek

SuperGeek Guest

Yup, your right Iceni60 the new SSM will be about the closest thing to Process Guard that a freebie lover could get their hands on. And i am a confirmed freebie junkie. :D So the new version is something i'm really looking foward to. I hope it works out well for you.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think that russian site is the home page. well, this link is the home page and its in russia. i'll look for the link for the latest beta and download. thanks for your help SuperGeek :)
    the link below has the latest beta linked, im going to test it :D
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43951

8. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I used SSM and as with Supergeek I start to have probelms when I used the plug in (I shouldn't of update to 1.94) . I'm using Process guard now and it's rather good. But I still miss SSM. Maybe I'll download the older version and run SSM agian.

9. o_O

o_O Guest

Yeah i downloaded the 1.89 of SSM from snapfiles too and it took only a lightning fast 14 1/2 minutes for a 312kb zip file!!! Make sure you pack a lunch. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.