Freeware real-time browser protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mooty, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooty

mooty Registered Member

Hello, I'm not able to afford a decent security suite from any of the renowned av developer firms, so I'm trying to find a decent real-time browser "scanner" to stop unwanted scripts from running etc. that is freeware. Preferably standalone from an AV. Any ideas?

2. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Using Firefox with NoScript add-on should do what you want.

I have also begun checking out the free Prevx SafeOnline giveaway. It may do more than you want.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Check out the Prevx forum as they have their Safe Online for free if you become a fan on Facebook.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Do you have a specific browser in mind? If Firefox then "no-script". You can download AVG Link Scanner which is browser independent and free. There is also the Browser Defender toolbar.

5. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

well why don't you consider sandboxie ....its free....its browser independent...it'll take the mickey out of any browser borne threat to your system :p

6. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

+1 for sandboxie ... free ... light on resources and very much effective :)

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

8. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

It works for other browsers as well.

9. SimonC

SimonC Registered Member

10. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Why would you want to afford AVG?

11. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

:D , My thoughts exactly.

12. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Use a sandbox, the best option- SBIE, DW or GW.

14. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

There are a lot of good advises given, there are a lot of good freeware options

Sandboxie, use it with any browser, read the forum, SBIE needs tweaking for decent (fool proof noob) protection. This is not the effect scripts may have on your PC security, but the access they might have to information within the same sandbox session. Applying good hex practises by clearing the sandbox an only doing vulnarabe on-line transactions from a clean/new session sandbox (and clearing it afterwards) really reduces this risk to near zero using the default setting (but further tweaking of SBIEs config will make it stronger, see the SBIE forum)

or

GeSWall freeware, very strong with default settings, use it with any browser

or

The combo
    a) Chrome (has an internal sandbox)
    Because it uses the V8 engine, it actually implies hidden classes and generated the run-time code into executable code. This has two distinct advantages. The V98 engine controls the way intermediate data is handles (hidden classes) and it can only generate allowed script into machine code.
    b) Use the extention Wot and/or SiteAdvisor free for chrome to stay out of trouble when you want to navigate to dangerous sites you can disable javascript through the default Chrome option (it has a rusimentory No script build -in)
    c) Rapport Trusteer (a freeware safe banking application)
    d) Avast AV
    Look at the latest AV-comparatives. Avast is one of the best Av's in regard to dealing with scripts

or

The combo
    a) Firefox
    b) plug-in Noscript
    c) Use the facebook freeware safe banking ofering of PrevX
    d) A simple freeware policy enforcement sandbox Edgeguard Solo

Above options will enforce the protection you required, so pick your choice

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

1- OP asked for a protective & responsive freeware solution for browsing . . .

1a- The NON-free solutions offered by some of the posts on this thread are strictly OT.

1b- Also, the multi-security-applications set-ups proposed by some posts herein are simply over-kill; an unwarranted drag on browser responsiveness.

2- Here is a FREE solution with only two apps, and it is (IMO) equal to or better than any that $$$ could buy...

2a- Use Sandboxie, configured to restrict outbound connections (methodology is explained HERE).

2b- Use Firefox with NoScript -- there is no full-scope equivalent to NoScript on any other browser, Chrome included. Chrome's sandboxes protect against crashes mostly, NOT against nasties. Chrome's sandboxes are a pale shadow of Sandboxie (et alia), & offer illusory protection in the process.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  17. mooty

mooty Registered Member

Thanks guys. Lots of ideas here, lots to try out. As for AVG, yes I agree that AVG is lackluster compared to the competition--even if you pay for it. I've seen their VB100 scores and they need to work harder to be amongst the frontrunners of PC security software. Pushing advertising is not the solution, having a noticeable superior product is.

18. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Chrome can be run inside Sandboxie thereby increasing the safety of the browser.
    IE8 with Protected mode turned on and a clean sandbox offers very good protection too.

19. mooty

mooty Registered Member

I tried sandboxie this evening and while I'm sure it offers great security for web browsing, it seemed to be at the cost of browser functionality. For instance, small things like saving your tabs on exit. There were some menu options to allow my firefox browser to retain control over some functions(i.e. bookmarks), but after some time spent tweaking it to make firefox feel comfortable I finally decided it's too much effort. It'd probably be best if browsers, like the google chrome features mentioned above, were to have similar features integrated by the developers.

That said, I'm going to give no-script a try for a while.

20. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

Prevx SafeOnline from Facebook promotion. Or DefenseWall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.