Freeware edition of Norton 2011?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cloud, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...are-edition-of-Norton-2011/idc-p/391010#M1434
    I made a suggestion on the Norton community forums and I would appreciate it if some of you guys could come over and help. :D Once the topic gets popular, maybe Norton's product team might hop in. ;)

I know a few of you aren't fans of Norton, but those that like free stuff are welcome to join in the topic. I had read in a previous topic about how some of the AV companies like Norton and F-Secure should make a free version, so I gained the courage to suggest it on their community forums.

Feel free to comment here and on the topic over at their forums. Remember to give kudos! ;)

2. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I am sorry for killing your dreams but Symantec will never (or at least in near future) release completely free consumer product simply because they have too big market share among the consumers , they will loose income (but not gain further popularity) and because Symantec is a private company which main goal remains making $$$ as any other private company. As you may have read - Symantec's belief is that we need more protection - not less . In the free version you offer you strip down the paid product to offer less protection which is not Symantec's goal . Real good protection needs money to develop , to improve.
    If you have ever visitted Symantec partner events you would understand what I mean.

3. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

iirc, norton had a free edition included in google pack.

4. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

There was once a Norton on-demand scanning tool in GP. It would show you what Norton could remove if you purchased a copy.
    Currently Symantec-owned PC Tools 'Spyware Doctor with Antivirus Starter Edition' (free for home use) is included in GP for most English-speaking regions.
    Also there's 'PC Tools Antivirus Free' (free for all users).

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't think Symantec will ever go the path of avast! or AVIRA. They offer few free programs but they have very limited functionality.

6. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Norton is one of the best selling security products and there is no necessity for Symantec to offer a free version. Symantec shares its virus signature database with pc tools. PC tools offers PC Tools Antivirus free edition with less features which can be complemented by adding a rootkit scanner, HIPS etc from other vendors.

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Symantec offering Free edition of Norton? :D :D :D

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Lol, not gonna happen. They even ask money($100) to clean up your PC, because their product failed for which you also already paid.

9. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

So far, the best free product IMO is the PC Tuneup which is better than Mcafee's *lame* Security Scan. It fully scans your PC for viruses, though it doesn't remove the threats...but its still a start. :p

But everyone has a heart, right? Well, maybe not Symantec...its probably deep, deep down inside their $$$ loving heart.

IF they make a free edition, at least we know it would beat Agnitum's [so called] "first" free [limited] security suite. All we need to do is convince them without making a huge mess of things. :doubt:

Could I have a little assistance in breaking down the features and excluding certain things to at least TRY to make this possible? :)

10. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

well, i dont see norton free at all as others do ... it is already biggest and gaining a lot profit

11. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I sincerely hope that avast! or Avira will never go the path of Symantec. :D

12. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I do not expect a freeware Norton version ever. I they ever do that, they will strip it down to extreme limits as if detection is there, but no cure/disinfection/delete/quarantine (just like Prevx Free :p).

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

FYI -- Small correction: Symantec is a public company, shares of which are traded on the Nasdaq exchange.

14. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I wouldn't mind if they stripped the free version of SONAR and some of those advanced features. As long as it has full detection and removal, plus the browser and download guards. Maybe stick the reputation system in it and we have a new product. :p

15. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

Not meaning to be disrespectful but... ARE YOU CRAZY?? :blink: o_O :blink:

Symantec will never give Norton ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ for free! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hold on Doraemon :)
    Norton offers the best security suite for everyday users IMO (No pop ups and great protection).
    And it's very light ;)

17. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

+1

In fact whenever I'm in a gathering and I overhear an acquaintance mutter those dreaded words, "He's in IT and knows everything about comupters," and folks turn toward me, the words "I charge $80 an hour" and "Norton" relieve me from any further conversational burdens in that context.

As for Free Norton, I'm going to hold my breath.
    :gack:
    :blink: Whew! Is it free yet?

18. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

several free programs as good or better than Norton IMO anyway. Even if they had a free product I wouldn't recommend a stripped down Norton, or even regular Norton. I bought a pre-built pc in 2004 that came with norton, the program itself was about has heavy as Windows xp was, literally, and had to reformat to completely get rid of it. Norton was worse than malware the way it would embed in the system and lock up the computer. Never again will I support or recommend such a company.

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Reallyo_O You are judging the program based on a version from 7 years ago? Norton 2011 is one of the lightest(and best) AVs I have tried.

20. gery

gery Registered Member

well i do not think Norton will allow this , not in the near future but who knows we live in a world of wonders

21. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well, who'd have thunk Micro$oft would have spent millions developing an AV eventually only to give a version of it away for free? :thumb:

Personally I wouldn't use Norton again even if they gave me a lifetime licence! :thumbd:

22. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

23. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I grabbed a copy of Norton AV for my new netbook. I got a free 6 month license. If you go to Best Buy you can buy a 6 month license for $2.99 off the shelves. I think I may eventually upgrade to a 2 year license for the netbooks due to how light it is yet effective.

24. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Funny :) Reputation is one of their newest and most valuable features. Ditto for SONAR. No way they would put Reputation into a free product, that ofcourse assuming there was a chance in hell they would release a free product.

Keep dreaming!

Stick with you-get-what-you-pay-for Avast and Avira

25. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

sounds like you work for Symantec

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.