Free Windows Desktop Software Security List - discussion thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MrBrian, Apr 16, 2015.

1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

The security list Probably the Best Free Security List in the World has been renamed to Free Windows Desktop Software Security List. Various changes have been made. Please see the Announcements section of the list's home page for more details.

2. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

That has always been such a valuable and incredible resource. I'm happy to see a discussion thread. Thanks, MrBrian.

Who would we contact about making any changes/updates to the list?

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

4. MrBrian

You're welcome, and thank you for the kind thoughts :).

Any of these are ok for such feedback:
    a) the comments feature of the list (this isn't available for the next 2-5 days while the site is transitioning)
    b) this thread or the similar discussion thread at Gizmo's
    c) Wilders members can PM me (this might be the best for suggestions for items to add)
    d) if anyone is interested in becoming a list editor, I could ask ako if he wants new editors

We currently have a backlog list of around 500-600 items to add to the list.

Thank you :). I'll address this in the next post.

5. MrBrian

List trivia: there are now around 3800 links in the list, and around 355 page sections (not including sections that are considered subsections). If we do a list maintenance operation that takes an average of 5 seconds per item, that is around 5 hours of work. If we do a list maintenance operation that takes an average of 5 minutes per item, that is around 315 hours of work.

My roadmap:

Phase 1: I will review every page of the list at the page section (not item) level of granularity. I may rename sections, create new sections, merge sections together, etc. Due to time constraints, I will not during this phase pursue operations that involve reclassifying a large number of items. Concurrently, in a text file on my computer, I will classify the page sections according to the reorganization discussed here. I hope for this phase to be completed by the end of 2015.

Phase 2: After Phase 1 is done, I will rearrange the list at the page section level of granularity according to the text file mentioned in Phase 1. This might take a few days.

Phase 3: I will look at every link on the list, fixing broken links and other issues encountered, but not reclassifying items.

Phase 4: I will look at the section classification of every item in the list. I'm not sure if there ever be time to do this phase for every item, so I might focus first on the most popular pages, areas that I know better or care more about, or pages that you request. This phase will be done over years of time.

Concurrent to all of these phases (except Phase 2), items will be added to the list by the list authors.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  6. MrBrian

What should be the criteria for an item to be considered obsolete (assuming a download link is still available somewhere)?

Example: should PE GUARD be on the list or not?

7. MrBrian

If anybody reading this wishes to have input into how Phase 1 proceeds - i.e. which page sections there will be - please say so.

8. Suggestion

Add a category of dead projects and call them XP hall of fame, great candidates are IMO
    - malware defender
    - geswall
    - threatfire
    - pctools firewall

They still work perfectly for people with old XP OS-ses, you would please some people by providing download links.

9. MrBrian

I'll make reviving/adding these the #1 priority when we are able to edit the list again. If there are any more high priority items to revive/add, feel free to list them. Thank you for the suggestion :). (We still list items that are XP-only.)

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I know I was busy or feeling out of the weather for a while, but boy that's a lot!

11. MrBrian

We have begun using an automated link checker to identify broken and redirected links. Broken links will be repaired if possible or else deleted.

12. MrBrian

I fixed the links for the latter three. Malware Defender already had a working link.

13. MrBrian

Does anyone have a preference for which of the following you'd like done first?
    1. Rearrangement of list at the section level.
    2. Inspection of each item on the list for issues.

---------
    Addendum to post #5:
    Phase 0.5: Use an automated link checker to identify broken links. Broken links will be repaired if possible or else deleted. Phase 1 won't begin until Phase 0.5 ends.

14. MrBrian

Some questions regarding the "Web application" key:
    1. Have you ever found it useful?
    2. If the "Web application" key is used on a given item, one doesn't know if the given item is also a Windows application or not. One of the list editors thinks that there should be a new key named "Web and Windows application." Another list editor believes that there should be no changes to current practice. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  15. MrBrian

How about this idea for a new key: "Discontinued or inactive"? And another new key: "Discontinued or inactive; works on only Windows XP era OS"?
    Any of these could qualify as being discontinued or inactive:
    1. Developer has explicitly said so.
    2. Application website is no longer available.
    3. Latest version is 5 or more years old (or maybe 2 years or whatever)

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  16. Great, in regard to the conditions: you could make it an author's selection (after all it takes time and effort to list discontinued products and keep download locations up to date) :thumb:

17. MrBrian

How about these new keys?
    1. icon for "Discontinued or inactive"
    2. icon for "Discontinued or inactive"(<= XP)
    3. icon for "Discontinued or inactive"(<= Vista)
    4. icon for "Discontinued or inactive"(<= 7)
    5. icon for "Discontinued or inactive"(<= 8.0)
    6. icon for "Discontinued or inactive"(<= 8.1)

The last 5 are the icon followed by various operating system-related text. The operating system-related text would only be used when there is evidence that the given program doesn't work on the next newest operating system.

Another issue is how long the period should be for inactivity. I'm now thinking maybe 3 years instead of 5 years.

18. Great to inform about OS-compatibility limitations. I am not using inactive software, so I am the wrong one to ask how it should be organised.

19. MrBrian

Section "All Items" has been added to the home page. It contains a link allowing you to view the entire list on a single page.

20. MrBrian

I've done some reorganization of Firewalls page. The sections "Third-party firewalls with alert-based non-network behavior containment/detection" and "Third-party firewalls without alert-based non-network behavior containment/detection" are new, so I'd appreciate any feedback on wrongly filed items.

21. MrBrian

22. MrBrian

Work is underway on reviewing and revising every page at mostly section-level granularity. When that is finished (which is expected to be 4-12 weeks from now), the list will be reorganized at the section-level.

23. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I don't see on the list of HIPS All-Seeing Eye from Fortego...developer still offers that app eventhough it support only Win XP/2K/2003.
    http://www.fortego.com/en/ase.html

24. MrBrian

I've added it; thank you :).

25. MrBrian

Due to time limitations, I decided to not include the operating system keys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.