Free, web-administered "Avast for Business".

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Vladimyr, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Thanks. The gear is not very noticeable. It looks like the rest of the background without focus. Why not add some color to it to grab attention? At first glance, it appears like the only options are to turn file shield off and on.

Attached Files:

2. MikeMT

MikeMT Registered Member

Your welcome. From my side it is good to see that ABS development is moving forward quickly in the right direction & working well

3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I am impressed! This portal is becoming very nice now, and we can control most, if not all of the important settings on it now.

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Cherry are you saying Deepscreen is no good?

5. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

I have seen it go through the analysis motion but have never seen it identify anything as malware. I personally do not like sitting there watching this analysis for 15 seconds for nothing. I'm sure that it has worked for someone but I am content with using the database of whitelisted apps.

6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I've disabled it then. Thanks.

Avast Business 2015 running good on Windows 10 here... Good to know.

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Something to investigate... Lenovo Thinkpad Twist - i7 CPU, 8GB DDR3, 550MB/s SSD Drive, Windows 10 Consumer Preview.

Post Avast Business 2015 Install - Chrome launches from Taskbar in 6.2 seconds.
    Pre Avast Business 2015 Install - Chrome launches from Taskbar in 2.5 seconds.

That's a significant performance hit! I knew it was bad by feel, but not realizing how bad until I ran diagnostics with it installed vs uninstalled.

8. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

I believe that in a business environment, the file should be true or false with no doubts of whether the file may or may not be a threat. The name, DeepScreen, is catchy but I'm becoming bored with these type of buzzwords without seeing anything positive come with it.

Go to youtube and search, avast deepscreen. I will pm you a link to an example of what I am referring to. Hard to say if the file in the video I sent is actual malware but it is an example of the only thing I have seen come out of DeepScreen. It's why I prefer the whitelist.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  9. Arsenal

Arsenal Registered Member

This is interesting as last week when i first set Avast for Business up, i tried to install it on a Windows 10 VM (current build, 9926) and it told me there were known compatibility issues and it wouldn't let me install it. Nothing unusual about that, Trend 2015 does the same thing. Having just seen your post I've retried Avast and sure enough it seems to be working, so they are definitely making strides in the right direction. Will report back as to whether performance is similarly affected.

10. lwalling

lwalling Registered Member

Our teams have worked hard to get a number of configuration options requested here into our latest point release. Hope this improves the experience for everyone!

11. MikeMT

MikeMT Registered Member

Cheers Luke all is working well on all machines from my end.

12. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Good to hear. The performance hit worries me.. Any suggestions? That's a nearly double performance hit over a vanilla Windows 10.

13. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Here is an official announcement of Avast for Business Cloud.

https://blog.avast.com/2015/02/23/b...-business-grade-security-for-free-from-avast/

I need clarification regarding free and premium licensing. Can free and premium licenses can be mixed? For some reason I thought otherwise.

14. Arsenal

Arsenal Registered Member

Okay, from my admittedly small sample of 1, it appears Windows 10 support is still a bit limited.
    - As Mayahana suggests there is a significant performance hit.
    - The first program i opened (Connectwise) triggered Deepscreen which then after about 10 seconds crashed the VM and rebooted.
    - It is telling me on the Overview screen that there is a new version available (i only just installed this version?) then when i click through to update to it it tells me it is already up to date; Also this is despite it being set to automatically update.

EDIT: Actually i just installed Avast for Business on a Windows 7 client and it is doing the same thing with regards to the new version message, so perhaps that is just a bug with the current workstation client in general? All my other installs are on Windows Servers, so i don't have anything else to compare against.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  15. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

Been testing it too. Nice additions to the website :)!

Are the "normal" antivirus updates going to be implemented to the business version fast or rather not? Meaning when Avast 2015 R2 releases, Business users should get similar update in coming weeks?

16. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Yes. I suspect that something as simple as a "1" where there should be a "0" has confused the poor thing. :confused: pic_188.jpg [/ATTACH] pic_189.jpg

17. vlk

vlk AV Expert

At the end of the day, it's all about ones and zeros... :)

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Looks great! Anything like AVG Threat Labs for my blog?

19. sovamiroslav

sovamiroslav Registered Member

Hi all,

As Luke has already mentioned, last Wednesday, we made a new release of the Web. Here are the official release notes (by the way, you can always find the exact release notes and what's coming next in the "What's New" Help section of the portal):
    • Localization into:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • French
      • German
      • Italian
      • Spanish
    • Simplified Getting Started experience integrated into dashboard
    • More advanced antivirus settings:
      • File System Shield actions
      • Mail Shield actions
      • Web Shield actions
      • Web Shield Sensitivity
      • File System Shield Sensitivity
      • Mail Shield Sensitivity
      • Web Shield site blocking
      • Mail Shield Behavior
      • Web Shield Web Scanning
      • Sandbox virtualized processes for Windows
      • Sandbox Internet Access
      • DataShredder "Shred File"
      • Exchange Server Protection Scanning
      • Exchange Server Actions Scanning
      • Exchange Server Blocking
      • SafeZone pre-defined sites
      • Browser-only HTTPs scanning feature added on Mac
    • Notification of expiring & expired credit card
    Major bug fixes
    • Memory leak in endpoint software
    • Postpone of restart prompt not working correctly
    • "Threats Detected" status gets cleared after viewing virus chest
    • Devices are not switched to "In Danger" status when a shield is turned of in settings template
    • Fixed reported status of SharePoint component on server OS
    • UI bug fixes
    Coming up next
    • Simplification of endpoint software re-install (device conflicts)
    • Support for virtual machine cloning and disc imaging
    • Ability to set installer proxy settings in Web UI
    • More antivirus settings (individual shield exceptions)
    • New, more intuitive UI design of lists and detail pages
    • Ability to change default company language in Company Profile
    • Inclusion of VAT in on-screen prices
    • In-product live chat with support
    • Simplified sign up process
    As @Mayahana pointed out - we are moving fast and making things better for all of you guys! We are expecting another release with lots of improvements in about 6 weeks time, so stay tuned ;-).

@Mayahana - the issue you had previously with re-installing devices (a.k.a "device conflicts") will be simplified and fully automated in next release.

Cheers,
    Mirek

20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

:thumb::thumb:

Look forward to seeing how it develops!

21. lwalling

lwalling Registered Member

Hi J_L, unfortunately not. However, if you need any information or would like to spend a bit of time with our team to learn more about what we're doing for your blog, let me know. PM or email to walling at avast dot com.

Thanks

22. MikeMT

MikeMT Registered Member

Hi Luke

Cheers to you & your team for the upcoming feature release info.

ABS has been running excellently since the update on all the OS’s that we have it installed on & I will definitely being deploying it further into our companies the very near future,

Br

Mike

23. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Have you noticed the performance drag? It's extremely noticeable, especially on Windows 10, but it's there - less pronounced - but still there on Windows 8.1x

24. MikeMT

MikeMT Registered Member

Not at all Mayahana, I even have an old XP workstation with it on running like a rocket.

I have all mine working with Hardened Mode Aggressive settings this way it bypasses the Sandbox drag while its thinking scenario & only works on white lists.

PS been following the UTM thread & comments with interest as Ive just completed another Sophos UTM install @ one of my sites. Pfsense & Untangle are both excellent products but once I got used to the quirkiness of some of the Sophos rule sets along with the strange round about face Natting procedure, Ive moved all my sites from Untangle over to them. But at the end of the day each to their own.

As we are a group of consulting, accounting & legal services companies working on large volumes of Excel , Word, Email, Quickbooks etc files dear old Win 10 does not come into my equation for some time to come.

All the best

M

25. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Is Avast slow on any of your Win8.1 machines? Sophos is VERY quirky, no question about it, and yes the NAT is ... Odd. I work for the 4th rated MSP in the world, and we don't touch XP. It's not supported, and we actively block connections from XP systems into networks we manage. Fortunately we're also not cheap, and that means most of our clients have the money to be updated. That means no Server 2003's, XP machines, and fewer and fewer Win7 boxes as the weeks go on.

We only deploy Fortigates and Fortiswitches, and won't even consider other NGFW's simply because we make too much on their installation, service agreements, and management. More importantly, Fortigate's are consistent high scoring appliances, and have effective support mechanisms. We'd probably lose money on products like Untangle and Pfsense, I think they may be better suited to small firms, SMB, and SOHO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.