Free vs. personal versions comparision

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by gpgp00, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gpgp00

gpgp00 Registered Member

I am new to and just downloaded Backup and Recovery 10 Free Edition and am trying to understand the differences between that and the personal editions. Is this page current? It looks like version 10 many have some of the functionality not bulleted, such as VSS support and differential backups.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-personal/comparison.html

I'm trying to understand the limitations of the free version to determine if I need the paid version or not. Essentially I'd like to schedule incremental (or differential) backups of a Windows 7 laptop to NAS storage on my home network. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. hello2007

hello2007 Guest

the only difference i noticed is that with free backup versions you can only backup the whole drive and with the paid you can back up files and folders instead of backing up all if you dont need to backup all of it. what im wondering is paragon has one that says system backup 2010 and they also have another product called disk imaging. Whats the difference between both of those? aren't they the exact same thing. They both compress files and everything

3. gpgp00

gpgp00 Registered Member

Using the free edition, I backed up three partitions that contained about 73G. It took about about four hours but was going to slow NAS disk at a rate of about 6Mpbs (it's slow because of the my NAS, not this app). I then turned right around and tried a differential backup of those same partitions and that took half the him of the full backup, or about two hours and only backed up about .5G.

Although I can see where it looks like I can do single file restore, am I correct in assuming that this application isn't really optimized to do file-based incremental backups very efficiently? I would not have expected the differential backup to have taken so long given that very little changed after the full. Is this application more image based than file based? If so, is that also true of the paid version?

Is it possible to do multiple differential backups and then have multiple restore points to do point-in-time restores of files?

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.