free version vs paid version

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by rdsu, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi,

it's possible to know the differences between them?

Thanks

2. JCR

JCR Guest

the free version last for 14 days ?

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I've just looked at the Ghost Security FAQs, and this is what it says:-

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks TopperID ;)

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I didn´t even know there was freeware version, but I still don´t understand it, can someone make a comparison between the 2 versions, just like with PG? I mean with PG it´s very clear what the difference between the freeware and payware version is. :rolleyes:

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Which part don't u understand exactly?

I don't even use this software but reading question 7 in TopperID's post above seems pretty clear explaining the differences between the two...

snowbound

7. TopperID

The main difference seems to be that with the free version you will still get a pop-up when an alerting event occurs, but you will not be able to block that event. :(

It's a bit like RD sticking its tongue out at you and saying: "Yaboo, sucks to you for not purchasing me, you tight wad!" :p :D

However you can set permanent automatic blocks on chosen events, but that will not allow creating exceptions, through the pop-ups, for trusted applications and so is of dubious value - except perhaps for some very important Keys where you can selectively disable RD should you want to allow changes to occur.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  8. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

You can use the free version of RegDefend to provide SIMPLE registry protection. There are quite a few things that you don't need to ask the user something, like virus/trojan/spyware based registry entries, etc. You can setup RegDefend to block programs executed from certain directories accessing important areas of the registry, etc. It's up to the end user how best they want to use the free version of RegDefend.

No it doesn't have as many features as the full version, saying it is of "dubious" value shows a little ignorance of what is capable with it though.

9. TopperID

If all you want is informational alerts that 'something' has happened, then it seems to me you might just as well use any one of the available free Reg pollers; at least they will offer the opportunity of attempting to reverse the change without the need of going into the Registry to do it yourself.

But, and this possibility had not occured to me in reading the RD FAQs, apparently you can set a block on a specific piece of malware from changing a Registry key by setting up a special 'application rule' covering that malware. If so, presumably it would enable you to manually reverse any Reg changes the malware has made, whilst blocking it from putting those chages back again?

If I've understood this correctly, I will concede that the free version of RD could indeed be of worthwhile benefit, quite apart from any informational alerts.

10. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

It isn't just application rules which you can add in free mode. If you look at the Global Rules, you can see there is an option to BLOCK or ASK USER. The free version works fine setting it to BLOCK, for whatever registry item you want. So say you saw a BLOCK in the log of RegDefend, then thought that you wanted the app which you saw blocked now allowed. You'd simply add an application rule for that app, and make sure it was allowed to perform that access. So you can setup rules, it just isn't as automated as the FULL version which lets you do them from alerts.

11. TopperID

Thanks Jason, that makes things much clearer.

It doesn't affect me so much, as I have the full version, but I'm sure some people who might be hesitating from trying RD will be interested to have a better idea of the capabilities of the free version should they let their trial period slide.

12. wiseman55

wiseman55 Registered Member

Yes that is good to know great post here!! ;) ;)

13. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Wow, registry protection software with speech synthesis! :D The spirit of TDS-3 lives on! :p

14. toploader

toploader Registered Member

talking software - that could be kinda fun - though you might find it talking to the toaster or the coffee machine if it gets bored :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.