Free USB Security

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Someone, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

What free security program can protect a USB from malware, e.g. if you're running a portable browser in an Internet cafe?

Thanks

2. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Iirc Drive sentry Go anywhere.

3. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I was just about to try it, but the USB version doesn't seem to be free - just a free trial.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I found this one sokx pro, but I don't know about its effectiveness, since it only protect autorun.inf file of your USB drive...

5. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

Well it does not answer your question,but i am sure you'd like to consider it,especially with the price of nowaday's thumb drives..you can find thumb drives that have copy protection physical switches...nothing will hop on the drive wherever you plug it(ermm..whichever pc ) xD

6. Biscuit

FYI

I'm trying Drive Sentry anyhow. It seems a lot easier to use than my previous Avast security.

7. Blue Ring

Blue Ring Registered Member

8. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

It can not prevents malware to copying itself to removable storage but it can prevents malware to creates a hidden autorun.inf file to launch infector automatically when the device is plugged in.

Edit: SOKX Pro will create AUTORUN.INF folder but as I see it is easy to delete this folder, so it can be deleted by malware too. You need to create AUTORUN.INF folder that it is not easy to delete. Check this links:

Create an AUTORUN.INF folder on your USB Flash Drive and prevent viruses from deleting it (step by step method) or

Successfully creating an AUTORUN.INF folder with this batch file (fast method)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  9. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Thanks for the links Zimzi.

Don't hesitate to share with us more informative links like this for usb security.

10. Someone

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

That does sound interesting but then I can't even run Firefox portable on my USB, which is too restrictive for me.

11. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

It just adds two registry keys and value which is "WriteProtect"=dword:00000000 or dword:00000001. Is this enough ...

12. Dregg Heda

How does it work? Does it prevent anything from being written to the stick? Or can you still save the info that you want?

13. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

nope..it just does not accept write I/O at all.its ideal when you want to transfer data to an untrusted pc..and you turn on the switch whenever you like.

14. Blue Ring

Not sure I follow you. Why is it too restrictive for you?

15. Someone

So I can't browse the Internet in an Internet cafe unless it copies some files onto the computer which seems to lose some privacy.

16. Blue Ring

Not sure what to recommend then. ClamWin portable could help but I don't think it has a realtime scanner like Avast portable, but that's not free.

17. Dregg Heda

I think I get it Chris! Thanks!

18. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Try to change path of the temporary internet folder to the computer you are browsing at, eg C:/../desktop/TIF. Then it might work, but I have no tried it.
    By the way I use NTFS permissions to deny writing to my USB except one folder, where I can put some files. I also have one folder read/copy protected.

19. renegade08

20. renegade08

I think that in this forum we lack of USB threads.

It would be nice if we could have one sticky thread solely for USB, USB software, USB security, tips&tricks, installing Windows or Linux, and so on.

21. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

It must be installed on PC because its main purpose is to protect PC from malware on USB Flash Disk. Bassicaly, it searches for an autorun.inf file after USB Flash Disk is inserted to PC and if USB FireWall finds autorun.inf file gives user an option to delete it and its associated application.

To me it seems that it is an abandoned project?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  22. renegade08

I've just found this :

FREE SafeHouse Explorer

http://www.safehousesoftware.com/SafeHouseExplorer.aspx

23. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Mx One is an anti-virus designed to protect removable storage devices like USB memory stick (also known as pendrives), iPod ™, mp3, mp4, memories M2, SD, microSD, among many more devices. MX One is also 'installable' on regular PC (so it checks any unknown stick when attached.)
    http://www.mxone.net/en/

24. Blue Ring

Looks interesting, but not seeing this recommended at the usual portable apps sites I visit, or even hearing of it being mentioned at any security sites I frequent, I wonder how good it can really be.

It looks like it uses signature based detection and being under 1MB, can it really be that good? Have you run the program yourself? Do you know of any tests done with the program against malware? I guess not having heard of the program before or seen it recommended anywhere previously I'm just being extra careful and trying to get any additional info before I even try it.

Thanks.

25. Biscuit

Some feedback on my Drive Sentry Goanywhere trial.

I was at a customer today using my pendrive & after using it for a while, DS decided to hang. This actually blocked my pendrive & I was not able to use it at all! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.