Free updates

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Mayor McCheese, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

If i purchase TDS 3 now and TDS 4 comes out in a few months what happens to me then? I have seen some threads with the mention of TDS 4 updates not being free. Should i just wait for 4?

thanks for any help

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

If you wait , no telling how long you will be waiting . When my understanding was that TDS-4 would be out in August last year , I went ahead and bought 3 . Still waiting . The update is murky . Most have been told that you will get TDS-4 upgrade for free . That is nice but , now I understand that there are differing TDS-4 products . Your upgrade will be free , based on what DCS is saying . What that upgrade will be is up in the air . Hope that helps

3. Don't you get at least a year from the date you bought the program to update it?...Hmmm ... I don't want to spend 50.00 dollars on the program and then turn around and have to buy a years worth of updates a month or so later.

Isn't their only 3 guys that make up DCS? ... Wayne Langlois, Gavin Coe and Jason Annice? ... and they can't come to an agreement on what the upgrade and update situation is going to be?

doesn't sound too good to me.

4. hollywoodpc

Jason has now left and started Ghost Security . Great program called RegDefend is his proggy for today . As for TDS updates . It does not matter if TDS-4 comes out 2 years from now . You will get the upgrade free . The problem is not WILL you get the upgrade . They have already said we will . The problem is , there will not be just one TDS-4 . At least , that is how I understand it . If this is the case , you get to pick one . See . I thought TDS-4 would be an all in one kinda deal like version 3 . what I am hearing is one version of 4 will have real time scanning . So . If there are different TDS-4 products , is a free upgrade worth alot ? hmmmm . The reason there are so many differing opinions is because TDS-4 has been talked about for years and is still not here . And noone will say when . So , I guess the best answer I can give you is , wait . That is only my opinion and I am keeping quiet on the TDS-4 release questions because it irritates people around here . If I could go back , I would not have bought when I did . Not because 4 has yet to come out but , because there may be different versions of TDS-4 . If that is the case , and that is IF , then you will be better off waiting . 50 bucks now to get your choice of half a program in a few months ? There are just too many questions out there on what TDS-4 will be . That is what I am saying . I wish you good luck . Knowing what I know now , I would not buy right now . just an opinion of a firewall guy . Not really up on AT programs .

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Everyone gets a free upgrade, as stated many places. No need to speculate, we've said this many times :) Hope you enjoy it, we've worked long and hard on various areas, mostly the new scan engine and new tools

6. Does that mean if i buy TDS 3 right now ... i get updates/upgrades for free or at least a year from the purchase date?

7. hollywoodpc

You get the update free .

8. hollywoodpc

Regardless of when it comes out

9. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Yes the release of TDS-4 was delayed because ProcessGuard and Port Explorer were developed to fill security voids, and TDS-4 uses technology developed for both. TDS-3 is still the most comprehensive anti-trojan scanner available, so it makes more sense to develop ProcessGuard than TDS-4, as ProcessGuard can then be used to protect both TDS-3, TDS-4, and any other programs we develop. Remember, until ProcessGuard was developed all anti-trojan programs were vulnerable to termination/modification/suspension attacks by trojans. That is no longer the case, and anti-trojan programs no longer have to worry about protecting themselves from termination, as that is now the job of programs like ProcessGuard. ProcessGuard and Port Explorer are now at a completed stage, so for quite a while now we've been able to work on nothing but TDS-4 and that's how it will remain until TDS-4 is released.

TDS-4 is a complete re-write ... it doesn't use a single line of code from TDS-3, and nearly all of the scan engine was written in assembly language. The engine is a new design, as are the databases, as are the interfaces. Everything is new. Assembly is the slowest language to develop in, but typically results in the fastest code as it allows for manual optimization, which can often be many hundreds and even thousands of times faster than compiler-generated code. Consequently, the scan engine is about as fast as it possibly could be.

Despite it being a brand new re-write we'll be offering a completely FREE upgrade to registered TDS users. There'll be some users who purchased TDS-1, who received a free upgrade to TDS-2, then a free upgrade to TDS-3, and will soon receive a free upgrade to TDS-4.

I'll close this thread now as this has been discussed before, and I've got too much work to do... :)

Best regards,
    Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.