'Free tools' - Defrag programs

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Cochise, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

'Free tools'

Do I recall Wilders having a 'Free Tools' section somewhere please? or did I imagine it......I seem to think I got myself a Tool called 'Fast Defrag'......long time back..... :D

Cochise, :cool:

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Re: 'Free tools'

Loooooooool......Thanks.....May your 'Snowballs' never melt.... :D

Best Regards, Cochise, :cool:

4. snowbound

:D :D :D

5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I found what I was looking for snowbound.....it was 'Newdefrag', I had it on my 98se......sad to say it doesn't seem to run on XP :'(......never mind, I just thought it might be faster than the XP 'Slowy'.......Thanks for the link tho'....

6. snowbound

Anytime Cochise.

Sorry it didn't work for u....

snowbound

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi Cochise,

Maybe you can try this one:

"Both Defragmentation Programs programs support the FAT, FAT32, and NTFS file systems.
    "DIRMS.EXE is a command line utility that will defragment your entire drive using multiple passes. It can decrease fragmentation in large files by using a partial defragmentation algorithm and will also compact files to rid your system of the dreaded interstice problem.
    "BUZZSAW.EXE is an on-the-fly defragmentation program. This program runs at idle priority so you can continue working without Buzzsaw using your valuable CPU time. It watches the drive for modified files and waits approximately 60 seconds before defragmentation begins. It waits, because you may be downloading a file, etc. and there is no need to defragment the file if it is going to be modified again shortly."

http://www.dirms.com/

8. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi cochise :)
    This is a excellent defragmentor DISK KEEPER which is free. It works very well and is so much like the paid version. Just a very few bells and whistles missing but for most people they would not need those extras anyway
    Disk keeper lite available only here i believe>>>>
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1207.html

9. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

If you want the BEST defragger in the world, try PerfectDisk from www.raxco.com
    I tell you, PerfectDisk beats all other defraggers hands down.

10. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks Dear fans for the replies.....I'll stick with the XP defrag for the time being.....it's just that I used to like to watch 'New Defrag' in action and also it was better than the bog standard MS defrag...... :D :-*

11. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide

Nadirah - did you happen to test it your self or see a test of PerfectDisk vs. Diskeeper? We were under the impression that Diskeeper was the best but we are interested in your documentation to review PerfectDisk which we have not.

12. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

used O&O, diskeeper 8 pro and perfect disk. still perfect disk is faboulous easy and very very good, no other will be on my puter

13. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Well Cochise....... I saw the smoke signals from afar..... and, sensing your reluctance :D.......figured an alternative.
    Dare I say.....it's a page from.......M?.....I know, I tried to avoid it.......but....."free up some wasted space". :p

At least it won't require any additional memory absorbing :eek: .......apps, I know how you enjoy taking risks....... ;)

GF

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hahhhh!...GF....you really know how to hurt a guy... :D :D :D....MS indeed...wash your computer out with 'Soap and water'.....no wonder you stammered a bit..... :D :D :D :D

15. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

QSection, I say perfectdisk is better because of its features and technology.
    I've tried diskeeper many times but it just could not do a good job, so i dumped diskeeper and tried perfectdisk, and my computer is now just like a power monster.

16. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I downloaded Diskeeper Lite and it seems to be very good. I was previously using the free version of Power Defrag, which seemed to be more of a reworked/controlled version of the Windows own defragger, so to see Diskeeper working the way it does is very interesting and also seems faster in its operation.

However... I have a question. Is it possible to disable the 2 splash screens that appear each time Diskeeper Lite is started.

The first one comes on very quickly and says it is the Microsoft Management Console Version 1.1... so I'm not even sure what this is all about... I have never seen it before so it must be part of the Diskeeper start up.

The second one is the Diskeeper Lite for Windows box and thanks me for choosing it, but then remains on screen, and has to be closed before I can run the program.

EDIT> Reading the help files, it is now clear that the Management Console is part of the program... and as it goes quickly is not a problem. But I would like to disable the second box if possible, but my guess is this is due to being the free lite version and will need an upgrade to not have this open every time.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

18. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Q Section: I just read another post of yours in another thread and am curious why you phrase things the way you do. Who exactly is "we"? You seem to never say 'I' and it's always 'we'. Just curious. Are you playing along with the Bond movies and you write from the perspective of Q and his team? If so that's kinda cute. Those were great movies.

Cheers.

Gerard

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This is a Memory manager... ;)

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

:oops:..................................................................................................:D

Opps sorry, maybe i'll try it out :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.