Free Thunderbird Mail Client

Discussion in 'polls' started by crockett, Sep 30, 2003.

?

Ever tried the Thunderbird Mail Client ?

1. Never heard of it...

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. I did, but noticed flaws, i.e....

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. I did and liked it very much because...

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. I don't trust freewares, because...

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Some options are lacking, i.e....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I'm too in love with my own client, which is..., because...

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  7. Tried it and still do, satisfied because...

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  8. I don't like testing softs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crockett

crockett Registered Member

:) Hi everybody...

After testing Phoenix and Firebird and Mozilla recently, I decided to give the free Mail Client Thunderbird a try...

Seems to work perfectly on my machine, very easy to configure, and I'd like to get the Forums members's (and guests) advice on this particular Client...

Rgds, Crockett :)

Attached Files:

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I like Tbird, but I'm a The Bat! user, so I will not move over, sorry ;)

3. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I like and use thunderbird , as i also use firebird . How ever It still kind of slow loading from a cold start on my pc ( I know its early days yet for its developement) I think in the times to come both Firebird and thunderbird are going to be excellent programmes. They are great now .

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have been useing thunderbird for a while now. I like it simply because it works. I don't particularly like eudora,phoenix,or pegasus. Just a personal preference. But as long as thunderbird does what it is supposed to I think I will keep it :cool:

:)surf safe :)

5. JayK

JayK Poster

I'll move over, once the antispam feature improves, but from what I have read this is unlikely to happen for a while.

6. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

It fills my every need for an email client. Nuff' said :D

7. psaulm119

psaulm119 Registered Member

All the other email clients have had fatal flaws. Either they weren't free, they had ads, or a very complicated UI. Most freeware clients looked very cheesy, as if I downloaded them from www.picnsave.com. But Tbird has it all--smooth, XP-like graphics, very stable, very customizable, and it doesn't have 300 buttons, but is very easy to use. What more can I say?

8. JayK

JayK Poster

You could say that TB has global filtering rules? It's a pain setting up seperate filter rules for each account.

9. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I've used Phoenix/Firebird for a long time now (currently testing KMeleon beta:cool: and I couldn't go back to IE, Whilst I'm a firm fan of The Bat! I have tried Thunderbird in various stages of its development but still find it a little buggy, its a bit of a beast too, but it has great potential and serves as a very real viable alternative to many big name clients.

10. DougRees

DougRees Registered Member

I use Eudora 6.0 as my mail client, because of its safety and because its features really make my life simpler. But I've been testing out Thunderbird for a friend, who isn't too satisfied with Outlook Express, and for whom Eudora might be a bit too much to cope with.

I like TB. It's easy and intuitive to use, and seems to work well, albeit without some of the features I like in Eudora. There don't seem to be a lot of hangups and glitches (important for my friend, since his only troubleshooting tool is the telephone).

One problem seems to be that AVG doesn't scan its accounts (though that could well change if TB gets the popularity it seems to deserve). Another concern is whether the files can be imported or exported from or to other mail clients, in case my friend doesn't want to stay with TB.

I still haven't decided whether TB is right for my friend, but it seems to be worth a look.

11. JayK

JayK Poster

TB developers has made some strange decisions. For example, they removed a "download all" button to download from all email acounts?

12. edwin

edwin Guest

well i agree with you guys on thunderbird so far...

but it keeps on being blocked by my norton personal firewall. and using it with the firewall down was not really what i had in mind. actually i ran out of ideas how to configure my firewall rules to make it work

any suggestions?

13. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

I use Thunderbird together with Frontgate MX. Works very good. Also no probs using my AV (which is AVK) with TB.

Gerard

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I've been using Calypso 3.30 for a long while. I bought it when it was payware and continue to use it now. Very safe email program and one of the best I have ever used.

15. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Thunderbird has all I want :
    - block remote images
    - does not support ActiveX and VBScript
    - Javascript can be disabled (is disabled by default I think)
    - Plain text or simple HTML support (instead of full HTML)
    - built-in SPAM filter
    - message automated rules that you can build (to move some kind of mails on another folder, to make ones appears in green and other in blue if it's friends or work mails, and so one...)
    - support certificates
    - nice GUI !

EDIT : it works fine concurently with NAV2004 which scans all inbound mails without any settings to do in TB.

I'm using a test version of 0.7, but seems exactly the same as 0.6 which was very stable.

regards,

gkweb.

16. dread

dread Registered Member

It rocks. #1. Real good spam protection. Its stable, does newsgroups, free, spell checker, looks good, runs good, has themes and extensions, OpenPGP. Pretty good for free plus it is from mozilla. One of the best things I like about is the seperate inbox, drafts, templates, sent and trash folders for each account. It is the only one that I know that can do that. The others you have to create folders for each account and all the trash sent etc.. goes into one folder. Love firefox to. I probally never use another email cleint again well not till someone actually comes out with something that has all of thunderbirds features.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Calypso has all this and has for years. The newer version is called Courier.

Courier

18. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

So i must add :

- Open Source
    - frequent new builds/update (update only if you feel the need)
    - forum
    - special optimized builds for AthlonXP or P4
    - Theme
    - extensions

;)

regards,

gkweb.

19. bigc73542

I use it and am very satisfied with it and I like the way it handles multiple pop3 mail accounts. And if you reskin it it even looks prety good.

20. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

funny how tastes differ. I just tried it and I absolutely hate it. lol ah well to each his own. I really wanted to use it but it just isn't designed for my needs.

21. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I also wondered this. I have a metric tonne of accounts and if I have to check each one separately I'll not use it. Also I did not appreciate having to click "mark as read" on every folder I imported (6 years worth of email). The functionality should be recursive through sub dirs but it isn't?

I liked evolution, an outlook clone for linux, but there is no windows port. Same with Kmail :(

I am not hating thunderbird anymore (now that I see how to do what I wanted to do) but still can't find the send/recieve all button.

22. bigc73542

Could you just select edit/select all and hit the send button?

23. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

lol, well you can do that, unfortunately I can't tell if anything happens. Unlike other clients that show the upload/download progress of the emails this one doesn't show much. I'll have to mail an attachment to a bunch of my addresses at once and see if I get them all that way.

Also I opened the themes window and clicked update and it sent 640 bytes and is waiting for a reply that has not come. Not one byte back. So ofcourse the logical thing for a program to do is grey out the cancel button and hang. Good thing there is a little x in the corner of that window.

Turns out there is only one extra theme for thunderbird 0.7, and nore for anything newer than that. I am Lucky I am not a theme guy. ;)

24. bigc73542

There is another page of skins with about 24 skins. I had to look for it but it is there .I like the skypilot theme and I got it there.

can get more thunderbird 0.71 themes here

25. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

My linux clients can do that (not that that helps here). I actually don't want that feature. I wanna turn it off. One thing that confuses me is that in the settings I can save copies of sent mail to "local Folders" or to the folder of a user account. But this option is not available for incoming mail? I see the local directory setting in the server tab, is this for incoming mail? Can I set all these to the same folder? It might me nice if the developers made this more intuitive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.