Free online scan service ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Yinda, Dec 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yinda

Yinda Registered Member

I don't make a full scan after the signature file of my AV software is updated (weekly), because it is too time consuming :oops: (I am confident that programs are checked for viruses before execution).

From time to time, however, I would like to have an independent check. Then I make an online scan on some critical folders.

What do yo think about that? Do you know good security sites providing such free service? I am using www.secuser.com (French).

Regards,

Yinda

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Yinda,

I'm unaware which AV software you are using, but IMO a full system scan at least once a week is recommended - especially when the software updates once a week: between those update intervals your system could be compromised.

Have a look at our free services page.

regards.

paul

3. Yinda

Yinda Registered Member

Hi Paul,

I am using McAfee.

My idea is that all AV should prevent Windows from activating any infected program (according to the current database), whether such infected program is already on the disk or downloded after the update.

NB. A few months ago, a full scan using McAfee has detected a virus in ICQ, but I have not been using ICQ for at least two years.

Am I wrong ?

Regards,

Yinda

4. Paul Wilders

Hi Yinda,

"according to the current (read: installed) database" is the essence here. Apart from strong heuristics, an outdated database (and a one-week update interval can be seen as such), newly discovered viruses could have been activated and compromised your system - harm done. Sure: one can possibly detect such a nastie after it has been databased, and ditch it. Nevertheless, the virus/worm could have been active up to that moment.

At least in theory, such an infection could well get a life of its own - using a build-in SMTP component for example.

regards.

paul

5. Yinda

Yinda Registered Member

Hi Paul,

I just thought that it may not be necessary to make a full scan after the database is updated : known virus should be stopped by the AV upon activation, and unknown virus will not be detected by a full scan.

But your second comment on built-in SMTP component explains that it is safer to make a full scan anyway.

Thanks and regards,

Yinda

6. Paul Wilders

Hi Yinda,

Known viruses that have been added to the latest database update, could well be activated before they have been databased. Thus, performing a full system scan using the latest database update could at the least (try to) cope with those - again leaving heuristics aside.

Possibly not: in case heuristics are strong enough, these could save the day.

IMHO: indeed ;).

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.