Free HIPS apps compatible with 7 x64?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MisterMooth, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterMooth

MisterMooth Registered Member

Hi. Can anyone tell me what free HIPS applications are compatible with Windows 7 x64? Thanks.

2. guest

guest Guest

Defense+(Comodo)

3. MisterMooth

Oh, forgot to add that I don't want Comodo. It has a bug currently that causes computers to completely lock up when fullscreen apps are launched.

4. Yanix

Yanix Registered Member

You have to put Defense+ and Firewall in learning mode and play with your game or fullscreen app 2min and the problem is solved.

5. MisterMooth

That's not solving the problem. I shouldn't have to do that. I don't *want* to do that.

6. Yanix

Yanix Registered Member

I was talking of that problem.

7. MisterMooth

I know. And I said I didn't want to use Comodo for that very problem. I don't want to have to do that.

8. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

MisterMooth, you could use LUA with UAC cranked on max settings!

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I agree with this as being the best solution - use what's built-in to Windows. Additionaly, if you have the Utlimate version, you could use AppLocker as well.

10. karad

karad Registered Member

MisterMooth,as I never had any problem of that sort with Comodo and cannot reproduce it in my computer,would you please let us know with what kind of an application the thing takes place?

11. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

He has been complaining about this on the Comodo forum. Because the full screen games are hiding the Defense+ alerts and he does not like the solutions suggested.

Hopefully Comodo will find a way for the alerts to show, but I guess these games make that difficult. Hardly a bug in CIS.

12. karad

karad Registered Member

If not seeing alerts while at the same time being well protected is his aim,he could
    set Comodo Internet Security in a no alerts way, more or less in the same guise also SystemSafetyMonitor could be set in the past.

MisterMooth can find more info in the Comodo Forum,if interested:

The proceedings are the following,as reported in Comodo forums,it seems a lot,but it is really simple:

If the user wants to go back it can be done in 3 minutes.

13. Thanks for sharing this information. I hope this helps MisterMooth. :)

14. guest

guest Guest

Yes this solve the problem, you also can configure it before lauch the app. (You dont want to spend 30 seconds preconfiguring the app and you want to use a HIPS?...)
    Other hips is outpost but the last time that I use it gave me blue screens using full screen apps, i dont know if they have already correct this bug.

15. MisterMooth

This never used to be a problem.

What happens if I launch something that I assumed wasn't a fullscreen app, but really was? What if I just forget to set the rules? I've lost data because of this. I'm not going to risk using Comodo again until it's been fixed.

16. karad

karad Registered Member

What you say seems a bit pretextous to me...
    I'd bet you wont use Comodo even after a fix, so I have nothing else to say.

17. MisterMooth

No, I would switch instantly. I've been a happy CIS user for practically this whole year. I cannot wait for them to fix this, so I can switch back. I just want to know if there are any alternatives.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

does this lock up isues about the games or some thing else?

19. guest

guest Guest

I only have had this problem with one videogame, so is not a generaliced bug with all the full screen apps.

20. MisterMooth

I've had it with a few. Some work and some don't. Maybe half of my games do it.

21. guest

guest Guest

http://www.nsanedown.com/?request=8135622

* Changes in 3.13.121240.574:
    * IMPROVED! AV engine now includes more advanced detection techniques
    * IMPROVED! Windows XP 64 registry protection has been hardened
    * FIXED! Defense+ does not handle object names properly while handling section names(Reported by our forum member wj32)
    * FIXED! Defense+ does not protect against registry key ACL modifications(Reported by our forum member wj32)
    * This release fixes a bug in build 572 that causes cmdagent.exe to crash under some circumstances.
    * This release fixes another bug in build 573/572/560 that might cause BSOD in Windows 7 under certain circumstances

Maybe is already fixed

22. MisterMooth

No, I've tested it and it still hasn't been fixed.

23. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

I thought this thread was about Free HIPS apps compatible with 7 x64? It seems to be about Comodo.

24. MisterMooth

Not my fault. I only asked for alternatives to Comodo until they fix that problem.

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think this is the only free hips that is avaliable for windows 7 64 bits:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.