Free firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by izi, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izi

izi Registered Member

HI!

I like to install firewall, but i don't know which free firewall shuold I use. Any suggestions?

Izi

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

hi izi,

thr r some gr8 free firewalls. but u shud understand ur need 1st

whether u want a rule based or program based firewall. rule based firewall means its u who is to configure the incoming and outgoing connection rules in ur firewall and the firewall wud behave acc to that. its effective on condition that u really kno and understand ur rules.
    program based firewalls are thoz which are much easier to configure and they take programs specifically and works on them as to which program outgoing connection will be allowed etc.

Kerio 2.15 --> rule based
    zone alarm --> program based

do have a look at this thread also

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=20914;start=msg126437#msg126437

thx

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Personally, I really love Sygate.. it is capable of both application based and rules based operation, and is very good at holding new applications while waiting for you to allow or not allow access.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I will agree I like sygate pretty well, seems to work reliably

5. izi

izi Registered Member

Thanks!!!! I will try sygate.

Izi

6. Trojan scientist

Trojan scientist Registered Member

whats the opinion on outpost free around here ?

i found it an excellent firewall compared to many of the free ones available, and the application rules wizard helps a beginner to set up rules , also it will put you in a much better position to learn more about your internet connections compared to zone alarm, if youre intersted in knowing more that is , otherwise a set and forget firewall might be more suited.

:D

7. izi

izi Registered Member

HI!

On my computer is Sygate 5.5 Personal.
    Could someone please tell me what is this:
    NDIS User mode I/O Driver - application, path: c:\windows\system32\drivers\ndisuio.sys
    Should I allow this application?

Thanks!

Izi

8. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I agree completely. Though Sygate is a great & reliable firewall, and Outpost free hasn't been updated in quite a while, I still believe Outpost free is easier to configure and that is worth something indeed. For anyone who has difficulty setting up a firewall (or isn't inclined to learn this complex subject), I think Outpost free and even ZA free are reasonable choices.

9. Trojan scientist

Izi i am not a sygate user , i am a Outpost fanatik, but i did come across this page which seems to explain the NDIS user mode I/O driver to som extent, hope it helps you in the meantime. :cool:

http://www.webservertalk.com/message105745.html

10. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Trojan scientist, why have you stolen the "Red_Dwarf" avatar o_O

there is a lot of picture in the WWW, just take your own ;)

11. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Yea got to say that this Avatar really does suite that digital dude called Red_ Dwarf :)

12. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Izi

When in doubt always block until you determine what it is and what kind of access you may or may not want to allow.

Do your logs indicate the type of connecton it was wanting (protocol, direction, IP's, services/ports)?

A basic definition for NDIS:
    "Short for Network Driver Interface Specification, a Windows device driver interface that enables a single network interface card (NIC) to support multiple network protocols. For example, with NDIS a single NIC can support both TCP/IP and IPX connections. NDIS can also be used by some ISDN adapters.
    NDIS includes a protocol manager that accepts requests from the network driver (at the transport layer) and passes these requests to the NIC (at the data link layer). So multiple NDIS-conforming network drivers can co-exist. Also, if a computer contains multiple NICs because it is connected to more than one network, NDIS can route traffic to the correct card.

NDIS was developed by Microsoft and 3COM. Novell offers a similar device driver for NetWare called Open Data-Link Interface (ODI)."

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/N/NDIS.html

Something on the more technical side:
    Networking and Wireless Technologies

Regards,

CrazyM

13. Trojan scientist

LMAO!!!, sorry to offend people so soon on my first day here , i choose that avatar from the forums avatar li$t , how is that stealling lol , if it is only available for one person on this board why have it in the list at allo_Oo_O?? :D

so sorry i am so stupid not to have noticed that it was owned by someone else , lol, its a good avatar really...

i do have my own avatar but its way too big and this was the only one that resmbled my appearance the closest.

thanks for the warning , i dont want to make a red_dwarf angry if i can help it.. :cool:

Please dont bother with free firewalls anymore, just get latest OUTPOST V2.1.

cya TSØ1 :D

14. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

hey trojan scientist , Welcome to wilders :)

15. Trojan scientist

thanks very much solarpoweredcandle ! :D

there are not many forums that i know of like this where so many great experts can be found all in one place....and willing to help others.

16. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hey Trojan Scientist :D

Just wanted to add my own welcome to you along with Solarpowered Candle's ;)

As you have time and inclination, surf around here and reply where you have ideas. We are always looking for more input from more users :)

Regards,

Dan

17. izi

izi Registered Member

If i understand this text correct is nothnig to worry. Thanks.

Izi

18. Trojan scientist

thanks.
    i still have a lot to learn yet :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.