Free firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by craigbass76, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigbass76

craigbass76 Registered Member

Does anyone know of something like AVG but a as a firewall program instead of antivirus?

2. Weber

Weber Registered Member

Hi,

There are many free firewalls. You can take a look at the Wilders review here: http://www.wilders.org/firewalls.htm

I use Kerio 2.15 and i am very happy with it.

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Ditto on the Kerio 2.1.5 free firewall. I normally use LooknStop pay version but occasionally get the urge to try another and now have Kerio 2 installed.

It's passed every test I've found: pcflank, hackerwatch, auditmypc, grc leaktest, sygate, and a couple of others I don't remember. I spent an entire morning a couple of days ago searching and running the tests.

I don't see how anyone could go wrong using Kerio 2.1.5. Other than a huge number of initial warnings when it's first installed, that take time to read and either permit or deny, I can't find a fault with it.

4. JayK

JayK Poster

Yes Kerio is the firewall equalavant of AVG. Though honesty forces me to mention Zone alarm .

5. craigbass76

craigbass76 Registered Member

Sheesh, this took a while. I just got dsl running and your replies finally became useful. I should have thanked you before, but didn't. I'm sorry.

Thank you.

By the way, I've recently sort of switched to Linux. I still have to dual-boot because there's no good multitrack audio programs for linux yet, and it's taking some getting used to, but so far I'm pumped. Linux is great.

6. subratam

subratam Registered Member

hey craig,
    there's no substitute for Linux yet, and you can make ur Linux deskie a hard fort to break thru if you give a lill attention to the built in IP table firewall rules (openBSD is the most secured..but having GUI in account Linux is an user's delight)
    thx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.