Free EZ AV and firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by no13, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I tried it for a while. I think you got the latest version EZ 2005 with the EZ firewall 4.5 (ZoneAlarm 4.5). I think EZ is a good antivirus and the firewall, licensed form ZoneAlarm is probably the best one ZoneAlarm has put out. Mine was the older version of EZ Armor and I just didn't care for it. No special reason why. It worked well, but I always find myself going back to Kaspersky 4.5 and Visnetic firewall.

If you got the older version of EZ Armor, you can upgrade to the latest at their site, although they don't recommend it because an even newer version is coming out in a week or two.

3. TheSnoyGuy

TheSnoyGuy Guest

You guys know anything about this...

***The Partner Pack is the ultimate application package for Windows (it runs best on Windows XP). The package includes 11 application from Microsoft and from 3rd parties in 5 categories: Games that you can play, applications that enhance exploring the internet in new ways, applications that help you keep in touch and share information with friends and family, an antivirus application to better protect your PC, and other tools and desktop utilities. You can either download this software package for free or get a CD (and pay just for Shipping and Handling****

REFER TO: http://www.download.com/Microsoft-Partner-Pack-for-Windows/3000-2381_4-10329087.html

Thats alot more than any virus/firewall......possible ywo differant downloadso_O

oh....M$ says I can't download the pack....unless I upgrade to IE6......

no interest in this pack anyways...was curious only.......

4. no13

The two links I'd provided were different.
    The first is the free firewall. The second is MS's new toys pack.

5. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I don't know much about the partner pack. I never even knew about it at all until no13 posted about it. I did some checking and found a couple of things in the partner download that might be useful to me. I don't need nor want most of it. I'll have to look some more to find out if I can just download those programs or if I have to get the whole thing. On dialup, 70 megs is forever. I don't need the software that much.

6. no13

Get your friends to write you a cd chuck! I do it all the time (my connection is on a data transfer limit)

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't know enough to know what I am seeing on the EZ site.
    What is the EZ Armor LE Antivirus and firewall protection versus the eTrust™ EZ Antivirus?

The price is right. Is the EZ AV comparable to AVG or Bit Defender?

I have a new computer coming in a few days, and I am looking to see what AV and Firewall I want to install before I get on the web.

Thanks,
    Jerry

8. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

The Free EZ AV had several problems, and that is the reason why I chucked it:

i) downloads. there was time when I couldn't download the virus signatures at all for several days until Microsoft's security centre complained.
    ii) it didn't catch the Zafi worm. Luckily, my Father-in-law didn't allow it to exit (using Sygate). But cleaning the system was a pain.

Am not complaining. After all, it was free. But I gave up after 6 months. Am now trialing F-prot.

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

If it's not on your new computer I would take a pass on EZ AV or EZ AV Armor = EZ AV + Firewall. Check out the various Virus Tests before making your final decision, but I like AVG better then EZ AV. I use both. AVG is a second opinion (toy). I have nothing against EZ AV but if I had a NEW Computer I would want to do better then free if I could spend money. Trial something maybe? ;)

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks,
    I have not even hooked up the system. The computer and monitor came in today, but the printer is not going to be shipped until the 20th. I'll just operate with this one until then, and then hook it all up together.

I have about settled on Bit Defender as the AV, and either Kerio 2.1.5, which I am using now, or LooknStop.
    Both seem to be first class security programs. I also have the free A2, and it does not cause any problems. I have the impression that Ewido is considered better than A2, but it also seems to be a problem on some computers. I am not sure why. I am not very good with computers, and I do not want or need unnecessary problems.

Thanks for the advice. If you have other suggestions please offer them.

Jerry

11. Diver

Diver Guest

EZ Antivirus is pretty weak on detection. IMO, you would better off with AVG 7 Free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.