Free Disk Defrag

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bryanjoe, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

2. Capone

Capone Registered Member

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I used AusLogics Disk Defrag on XP and I use it on Vista and it allways worked well for me.

4. malformed

malformed Former Poster

5. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

I agree, Auslogic did a great defrag on my other computer running Vista Home

6. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Just tried the product in post one and it did speed my computer up by 1 percent. :p Said so in the results and WOW that was fast haha.

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    You're right....Two thumbs up...:thumb: ;) :cool:

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

That's only 1 thumb I see there.:shifty:

In any event, here's another vote for JKDefrag. I use it from the command line...

Start > Run > JkDefragCmd -a 3 c:
    Then
    Start > Run > JkDefragCmd -a 4 c:

{Of course, I first had to copy JkDefragCmd.exe into C:\Windows :blink: }

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Check this out.

JkDefrag GUI 0.7
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/JkDefrag_GUI_d5620.html

JkDefrag GUI is a convenient GUI (Graphical User Interface) for JkDefrag, which is a free (GNU GPL) disk defragment and optimize utility for Windows.

JkDefrag is a Free (released under the GNU General Public License) disk defragment and optimize utility for Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista/X64.

Completely automatic and very easy to use, fast, low overhead, with two optimization strategies, and can handle floppies and USB disks/sticks.

Screenshots
    http://www.emro.nl/freeware/

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I have both. I also have no idea how to measure any one. Why is jkdefrag any better? Beats me:)

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'm a recent convert to JKDefrag. Along with using the GUI from Mr. Wieldraaijer that zapjb mentions. It runs fast and smooth... :)

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

That GUI also gives jkDefrag alot more options. :D

13. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Used JKdefrag, and it seems to do a good job. The one question I have is that it seems each degragger has a different strategy for file placement. I would think that the devs of my OS (I know, its MS) would know the proper placement of files for optimum performance. Should I trust a program that changes it? I now use only powerdefrag+contig and it's placement is different than that of JKdefrag. This may be a stupid observation but cut me some slack, I'm a borderline newbie/novice.

14. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

That's the reason why there are many defraggers. Some defraggers (like contig) doesn't have a file placement strategy, it only defrags. Others have different algorithms for file placement. IMHO, the best file placement is given by a smart partitioning strategy which also reduces the need for defragging.

15. steve161

Hi Lucas1985:

Thank you for the information, but my question remains: Do these defraggers have a better strategy for file placement than the ones that are part of your OS?. Are you saying that windows defrag does not have a file placement? And, if not, isn't that a file placement strategy in itself? Also, I thought contig + power defrag includes file placement (last option, power defrag ).

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A) XP's built-in defragger is a slimmed-down version of an outdated version of Diskkeeper. It can be VERY slow, depending upon the size of your HD, how loaded it is, and how fragmented it is. If you check various forums, many folks have gone to 3rd party defraggers because XP's can take several hours to do the job. If you aren't having that problem, and if your computer is still lively & snappy, then perhaps the XP defragger is all you need.

B) Their "strategy of file placement" (if you can call it that) is more or less this...

(1) Analyze to determine available HD free space(s) versus size & extent-defragmented of files

(2) Reorganize HD free space (close gaps between files, etc) IF & AS needed so as to enable defrag.

(3) Defrag file A & (if moved) restore position

(4) Repeat 2 & 3 for files b, c, d etc, as needed, until finished.

C) JK's *optimization strategy does a teeny bit more than the above, but still is quite simplex...
    D) Thus, JK defrags much faster than XP's defragger. Also, once defrag is finished, it will give *average users* several dozen nanoseconds faster load times. Wow! (not)

E) UltimateDefragger (not free) REALLY seeks to optimize. It analyzes-in-depth data such as frequency-of-use, so as to not only defrag files, but also to position those files needing fast/frequent access in the fastest HD area. UD actually DOES give noticeably faster load times, even for many *average* users.

F) IMO -- For most *average* users (not into game playing or other high speed needs/urges, and not using HDs with humongous gigabytes of files) optimization won't amount to a pool of warm spit. Defragging once every 3-months or so will be just fine.

G) NOTE: There are many files that cannot be moved while Windows is running. To defrag thse kinds of files, I recommend Microsoft's/SysInternal's PageDefrag.

>>>Quote from that Pagedefrag's site...

17. steve161

Informative. Thank you Bellgamin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.